Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2023, 04:38 PM

19,814 posts, read 9,376,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
We moved 4 years ago.
We were thrilled to make friends with three couples (and one wonderful single!) in our neighborhood. We love to try out new restaurants, and we keep an eye on each others property vacations take us away.
We are all late 60s through late 70s.... so you CAN make friends later in life.
Was this a senior community?

As my husband and I moved to a new area and are not church members and are introverts, we have not made any couples friends -- or, really, any friends at all although we are friendly with all our neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2023, 04:43 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,138,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I don’t know . We’re very happily married and together 47 years and currently have no couple friends. I read the article and yes the research has good points but I don’t need couple friends to see that my husband is great. We don’t crave or seem to have the need to make couple friends and seem to be happy just doing our own thing at the moment.
My guess that is probably the "norm". In our younger years, it always seemed that we didn't find a "matching" couple, so the husbands of my friends were not anyone that my husband cared for, and I didn't really care for the husbands either, so there was that.

I guess with others involved, it would help with a less solid relationship, as there would be the "distraction" provided by the friends.

I could not help but think that some may be happier due to "swinging". I was surprised to learn that was still a "thing". Yeah, we were not interested in that either, and was horrified to be scoped out a few years ago by a couple. Yeah, no!

Retired and not looking to be entertained or to entertain others.

Old 08-15-2023, 05:03 PM

22,595 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Nope, just a regular neighborhood that has houses and paired patio homes.

Old 08-15-2023, 06:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:

As my husband and I moved to a new area and are not church members and are introverts, we have not made any couples friends -- or, really, any friends at all although we are friendly with all our neighbors.
yes... AK (after kids), couple encounters can be few, SIL is big into swing dancing (as are several introvert engineer friends), they do couples well and frequently.

Camping / boating, walking, biking, sea kayaking are good ways to group up.

Join a couple community volunteer groups.

That Community Garden up the road would be a good choice. The Garden Door. (I didn't realize it was Master Gardeners, but there are other community gardens not so far.)

Whoops, early registration for MG ended yesterday. (they wil probably take you if there are available slots)
https://www.dcmga.org/
(MG can be a little intense (Training + first yr has 50 hrs volunteer time required, 25 hrs for subsequent years), but it is very interesting, nice people, great potlucks)

I like to volunteer at our local food bank and community kitchen, as it is a good opportunity to meet others, and runs through the long winter.
Links to your area:
https://doorcountycommunityfoundatio...try-coalition/
https://doorcountycommunityfoundatio...-county-meals/

Senior service volunteering brought us some interesting and fun couples for many yrs. (We usually took them to Dr or hosted them for holidays, or did chores for them.
https://www.adrcdoorcounty.org/

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-15-2023 at 06:32 PM..

Old 08-15-2023, 06:55 PM

7,837 posts, read 3,836,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
We have several friends that are also couples.

A few recently divorced, and seeing each single struggle in the dating world has actually reinforced our commitment to each other. It's rough out there!
When a couple divorces, do you still see both of them?

Old 08-15-2023, 06:58 PM

7,837 posts, read 3,836,363 times
Quote:

We have a fairly active newcomers club for transplants. Lots of social activities and hence opportunities to make friends. Here's an example:

https://parkcitynewcomers.org/calendar/

https://pcmsc.org/calendar/

Old 08-15-2023, 09:06 PM

8,343 posts, read 6,436,914 times
I know a couple who had good friends for years. The man in one couple died and the wife of the other died and the remaining two got married.

Old 08-15-2023, 10:44 PM

22,210 posts, read 19,238,916 times
i remember thinking during the time we were married (12 years) that it was hard enough to find one person we enjoyed hanging out with, and nearly impossible to find two as a couple. what we did enjoy for several years during the marriage was a once a month "game night" where several couples got together and brought different board games to play, going to each other's houses. that was fun.

but just socializing as couples, nah that didn't happen. a few times when we were first married i remember meeting my new husband's friends and either they were creepy (seriously: one guy was on his third marriage and only in his 30s, first wife died second wife in a mental institution, third wife the one i met visibly afraid around the guy) or totally ignored me (i remember thinking i've never spent an entire evening with someone for 3 or 4 hours and been totally ignored by them). after we had kids we socialized with other couples that had kids the same age but that was just so the kids could play together. it didn't feel like we had much in common. the friends i've had as an adult that felt the closest, were friends i made on my own, not as part of a "couple."

Old 08-16-2023, 09:45 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
A recent article is on making "couples friends" as adults. Research shows couples who have good couples friends have happier, healthier relationships with their own partners.

What's your opinion on couples friends?

Here is a free link: http://archive.today/2023.08.15-0107...on-it-1913eb88
We don't have any "couples friends". Everyone we know is either HIS friend or MY friend. Of course, we are not married either, but we've been together nearly 14 years,

Old 08-16-2023, 10:01 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
A recent article is on making "couples friends" as adults. Research shows couples who have good couples friends have happier, healthier relationships with their own partners.

What's your opinion on couples friends? ....
If it works for you......

The basic point to me is that I must disregard it for it works on the basis that there is someone for everyone and after decades of trying, I know that just isn't so. Hence, A and B.......

A: If it works for you........

B: Please keep in mind that for some it can't work and don't treat them, it, the world with this belief as a silver bullet because it isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement