Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2023, 10:28 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Sorry - did not mean it to sound that bad, and surely did not mean you. We just don't enjoy spending so much on food that we can't eat. We'd so much rather go out and be active. So we mostly do those things with just the two of us. We'd rather have company...but oh well.
My husband and I are not drinkers or like eating out in the evenings as a form of socializing , not so interested in playing cards so yes it’s limiting. That isn’t to say we haven’t done dinner out on rare occasions but it’s not what we did with our couple friends in ohio. Usually we went to movies, concerts, get togethers in each others homes. Those couple friends in OH evolved out of many years of being friends with one person and establishing mutual connections and interests.

Right now in AZ it isn’t a priority and we seem to be doing great without couple friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2023, 10:58 AM

2,035 posts, read 988,010 times
As our kids are turning into young adults my wife and I are realizing that some of our couples friendships were really just fueled by family events we all did with our kids when they were much younger. Now, we're sort of not into these couples much anymore.

Old 08-27-2023, 02:10 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
I wonder what some of you do when a couple suddenly becomes a single? Cast them aside or keep them in the group? After all every couple eventually becomes a single.

Old 08-28-2023, 10:27 AM

1,894 posts, read 892,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I wonder what some of you do when a couple suddenly becomes a single? Cast them aside or keep them in the group? After all every couple eventually becomes a single.

I answered this already upthread, but we just don't socialize with them together anymore. We still see each of them with their new partners.

Old 08-28-2023, 10:40 AM

8,757 posts, read 5,053,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
I answered this already upthread, but we just don't socialize with them together anymore. We still see each of them with their new partners.
Wow....New partners....it sounds like it dosen`t take long for your friends to get on with their lives, with new partners.

Old 08-28-2023, 10:43 AM

904 posts, read 665,504 times
When my grandson played high school sports we befriended a number of the other grandparents. We would meet for dinner before the game-not stuffing our faces at all- and sit at the game together. If the games were further away we sometimes car pooled.
Our grandson is now in college-they still have grandkids competing so sometimes we go and watch their grandkids or we meet up socially.
Another couple we met we just went blueberry picking with. We also socialize at each others homes. We like to sit and talk.

Old 08-28-2023, 12:50 PM

1,894 posts, read 892,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Wow....New partners....it sounds like it dosen`t take long for your friends to get on with their lives, with new partners.

I don't need to say how long it took them to get new partners because it's nobody's business. But thanks for being so judgmental, you just made my Ignore List.

Old 08-28-2023, 05:00 PM

2,863 posts, read 1,807,201 times
Off Topic ? Heard if a spouse dies, a happy marriage, they will usually marry soon. They miss the companionship.

Encouraged a woman who was seeing someone a year, ? or so after her husband died. Many people thought too soon ! She's now married, both are Very happy ! It seems I was the only one to do what she desired to do.

Old 08-28-2023, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Since this is a retirement forum, I was referring to the death of one.

Old 08-28-2023, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Off Topic ? Heard if a spouse dies, a happy marriage, they will usually marry soon. They miss the companionship.

Encouraged a woman who was seeing someone a year, ? or so after her husband died. Many people thought too soon ! She's now married, both are Very happy ! It seems I was the only one to do what she desired to do.
That hasn't been my experience. I have widows as friends and neighbors and not one has ever remarried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement