Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2023, 06:47 PM

8,755 posts, read 5,042,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
That hasn't been my experience. I have widows as friends and neighbors and not one has ever remarried.
I agree....when you have been married several years....you just don`t move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2023, 06:50 PM

7,746 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Off Topic ? Heard if a spouse dies, a happy marriage, they will usually marry soon. They miss the companionship.
If my spouse were to die, I would miss her terribly. She's my best friend.

I struggle to think how I would ever meet someone with whom to even attempt to start a relationship, let alone marry.

Old 08-29-2023, 04:27 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,045,572 times
Quote:
That hasn't been my experience. I have widows as friends and neighbors and not one has ever remarried.
It seems to be the widowers who are quick to move on. My brother was involved with someone just a few months after his wife's death and remarried a little more than a year after her death.

Old 08-29-2023, 06:41 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
It seems to be the widowers who are quick to move on. My brother was involved with someone just a few months after his wife's death and remarried a little more than a year after her death.
My mother was involved about a month and change after my father's January 1973 death, and remarried in June 1974. The widower's wife had died in April 1972. So not necessarily.

Old 08-29-2023, 07:48 AM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Since this is a retirement forum, I was referring to the death of one.

They are invited over more often than before, and I go out of my way to visit and bring groceries or other things I know they like.

I'm also part of a group that has a monthly dinner for "suddenly singles" and we use an app where people can sign up to attend. We go to a different place every month.

Old 08-29-2023, 07:52 AM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
If my spouse were to die, I would miss her terribly. She's my best friend.

I struggle to think how I would ever meet someone with whom to even attempt to start a relationship, let alone marry.

I feel the same about my husband.

My father remarried within 3 months after my mother died. They had been married 40+ years. I think for him it was definitely not wanting to be alone, and he and my mother had made so many plans to travel. They had both just retired and had gone on one Mediterranean cruise when she upped and died on him.

The new marriage only lasted a year. She was a nice enough woman but I was beyond angry about it at first.

Old 08-29-2023, 11:27 AM

903 posts, read 663,749 times
My sister was a widow at 58 and one of my cousins was a little younger. My sister has been a widow for 10 years and my cousin for 5 years. Neither has an interest in dating. They go out with friends and sometimes my sister meets up a guy we grew up with but it is platonic.
My FIL was a widow for over 20 years. Briefly dated a woman from church but he never remarried either.

Old 08-29-2023, 03:49 PM

8,755 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Some people are so afraid of being alone, they will settle for any partner they can find. Some who have been married for many years, do not want another mate. I guess it all depends on what kind of marriage you had in the first place.

Old 08-30-2023, 10:58 AM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
A friend of mine is on a dating site 8 months after her husband died. She’s 77 and doesn’t want to be alone. I find that very sad.

Old 08-31-2023, 02:50 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Interesting but we are happy and have very few "couples" friends. There is my lifelong friend and his wife, and a couple that lives a few blocks away, another down the street. Other than that almost all of our social activity is me with a guy and her with a woman. I have nothing in common with the husbands of her friends, and she has nothing in common with the wives of mine.
I go along with my wife to visit her sister, but again, I have nothing in common with her husband other than being related by marriage. Mostly, we enjoy just doing things together without other people along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement