Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 11:52 AM

844 posts, read 420,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Retirement finances requires cash flows. Figure out where your's will come from.
That is the key right there. Too many people miss the boat.

It's not about how much you accumulated BEFORE retirement, or what your expenses are AFTER you retire. It's about figuring out your income minus expenses in your retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2023, 12:15 PM

106,707 posts, read 108,880,922 times
i always try to explain to people all tge time that what your income was when you had a pay check or two coming in while working is irrelevant when the checks stop .

most of use what we have to work with when the time gets close and back into the expenses .

sometimes things have to go or be cut ..sometimes it even means relocating

Old 08-30-2023, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i always try to explain to people all tge time that what your income was when you had a pay check or two coming in while working is irrelevant when the checks stop .

most of use what we have to work with when the time gets close and back into the expenses .

sometimes things have to go or be cut ..sometimes it even means relocating
But thanks to NYC "rent stabilization" policy, you don't have to move

Old 08-30-2023, 12:27 PM

106,707 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfishTim View Post
But thanks to NYC "rent stabilization" policy, you don't have to move
that is a big deal here …the right of renewal is very powerful .

however we just had friends here who had to relocate . we went over their savings and income and the 45-50k in income was an awful lifestyle here so they moved down south . so being stabilized and Almost 3k a month in rent left them cash poor

they are not happy but had no choice .

being stabilized doesn’t mean cheap .stabilized rents can be 6-8k a month in manhattan .

stabilized rents for most in our area are just a tad under rents in single family and two family homes because they can get more then apartment buildings do but any building that is decent is close to market rent

Old 08-30-2023, 12:34 PM

Quote:
that is a big deal here …the right of renewal is very powerful .

however we just had friends here who had to relocate . we went over their savings and income and the 45-50k in income was a awful lifestyle here so try moved down south . so being stabilized and Almost 33k a month in rent left them cash poor

they are not happy but had no choice .

being stabilized doesn’t mean cheap .stabilized rents can be 6-8k a month in manhattan .

stabilized rents for most in our area are just a tad under rents in single family and two family homes because they can get more then apartment buildings do but any building that is decent is close to market rent
My solution to combat the rising cost while living in a HCOL area like Southern California is getting a 30 yr fixed rate mortgage at 2.5%. I still have rising property tax to deal with but they're capped at 2% a year increase, thanks to Proposition 13.

Old 08-30-2023, 12:40 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,559,570 times
Fidelity and others have great "planning" sections of their websites that match up your current assets with expenses that project how much you will need and/or have at various ages under 3 scenarios--average returns, below average returns, and significantly below average returns.

I’m currently cash rich, house poor (renting) but have a monthly pension for the rest of my life, about a 10-12 year supply of liquid investments (treasuries, CD’s, MM), with Social Security kicking in at age 67 (little less than 3 years), have been retired 4 years and still have about $150K higher net worth vs when I received my last paycheck, and am projected to die with several hundred thousand dollars at 95 given current assets and slightly overestimating my current expenses with below market returns. Of course it helps that I’m single with no kids or others to leave my money to.

Last edited by elchevere; 08-30-2023 at 01:00 PM..

Old 08-30-2023, 12:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:

I was thinking (hoping) ... Maybe the company will just keep the direct deposit of the past 32 yrs coming.... would they even notice my piddly check? Guess so...

The transition from Accumulating to EVERYTHING going OUT still hasn't clearly registered. (now getting SS)

It became a pretty big deal between age 49 and 66.7, especially when the A(?)CA dropped all my 'affordable' health care options. Eventually 'affordable', became 10x what I had considered affordable in creating my retirement budget. It's good to have a Plan B. (and C, D, XYZ)

Expect changes to be coming. They may be more significant than you ever could have imagined.

Don't sweat it, just expect it and you won't be disappointed or surprised.

I do miss Direct Deposit, and... Paid Vacation. Company 'discount' stock purchase was good too (while it lasted). 7-13% annual profit sharing, Paid HC, Free Recreation sites WW, Paid travel (including family for international relocations), free lunches and annual family steak frys and monthly Beer busts... Not a bad gig (good while it lasted).

Company Credit Union was very generous, and will hold my mortgage(s) for many more yrs.
They even financed several commercial and income props for me, very nice perk.

Old 08-30-2023, 01:23 PM

18,108 posts, read 15,683,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post
Is it still possible to retire with a mortgage? How?
Of course it's possible.

You treat the monthly mortgage payment just like if it was rent. It's a regularly occurring expense that needs to be paid, just like any other monthly expense. You need to have enough $$$$ every month to pay for all expenses, and hopefully extra for optional spending.

Old 08-30-2023, 02:28 PM

9,869 posts, read 7,740,106 times
Well, we don't get any pension and our SS checks won't be that much so we hope to have the house paid off by retirement. We don't have any plans of downsizing, this is our home we want to retire in.

Old 08-30-2023, 02:44 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Answered your question in the other thread OP. Of course it's possible to get or retain a mortgage in retirement. Whether it's the right decision for you or anyone else depends on the circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement