Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2023, 04:44 PM

746 posts, read 493,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
until death do us part isn’t a marriage vow as much as a goal.
For those serious about marriage, it is a vow. To think of it as a goal makes it more likely you will divorce imho
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2023, 05:53 PM

88,514 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip-Squeak View Post
For those serious about marriage, it is a vow. To think of it as a goal makes it more likely you will divorce imho
I think he was making a joke.

Old 09-01-2023, 07:11 PM

746 posts, read 493,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think he was making a joke.
*woosh*

Old 09-01-2023, 10:02 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I am an others. I think there are other others. Take a couple zeros off and the math is pretty much the same and unfavorable to rent something equivalent.
I’m another other. Planning is necessary but unexpected **** happens & my crystal ball broke around 2008.

Old 09-02-2023, 08:53 AM

7,746 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I notice it's one of those threads where the OP makes a post and then doesn't return to comment on the responses. No rule against that, I just find that behavior a bit annoying, almost like they are tossing out a firecracker into a crowd to see what the reaction will be.
I agree.

Old 09-02-2023, 09:32 AM

74 posts, read 40,677 times
We have a mortgage it's 17 percent of our net take home .our payment is probably less than a lot of peoples property and fire insurance at 1131.00 a month .could take a portion of our IRA and pay it off at anytime but at 4 percent on the loan I can make more just buying treasuries.Paying off the mortgage really may not save you that much money in the end , you have to see the savings by subtracting the insurance and property tax. i say retire now!

Old 09-02-2023, 12:19 PM

13,643 posts, read 9,698,765 times
We necessarily must delay, until we're psychologically ready. Psychology is vastly more important than literal money, or even, for those so inclined to thus prioritize things, physical health. Until sufficiently released to partake a sense of readiness, there is no amount of planning, good fortune, alignment of opportunities, that sufficiently grants one license to indulge.

For some, this sense of un-readiness may be their residual mortgage; or health insurance coverage; or care-commitments; or anything else. The unifying theme, is that no amount of zeroes in one's portfolio, no matter where placed... no amount of commas, either - are necessary, or sufficient. For that, we need to be in the proper mental-space... until which, our various "plans" remain merely theoretical, and delayed.

Old 09-02-2023, 12:38 PM

7,485 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
We necessarily must delay, until we're psychologically ready. Psychology is vastly more important than literal money, or even, for those so inclined to thus prioritize things, physical health. Until sufficiently released to partake a sense of readiness, there is no amount of planning, good fortune, alignment of opportunities, that sufficiently grants one license to indulge.

For some, this sense of un-readiness may be their residual mortgage; or health insurance coverage; or care-commitments; or anything else. The unifying theme, is that no amount of zeroes in one's portfolio, no matter where placed... no amount of commas, either - are necessary, or sufficient. For that, we need to be in the proper mental-space... until which, our various "plans" remain merely theoretical, and delayed.

Yeah, some people set themselves up to need to continue because they know themselves too well. For some, throwing in the towel means settling into the aging. Not everyone is built for "fun" or will actually stop working at something regardless of paid employment. They may know themselves and decide to just hang onto paid employment (after all that's how they survived their entire life to this point) instead of all the work they will invent for themselves anyways.

My BIL will turn 79 in March and is still working. He "retired" at 60 for one year. Then, he contracts for 3 times what he ever earned working all those previous decades. His dad died when he was a youngster and he's been working ever since his first paper route (put himself through college and pitched in with his siblings to support their mom for decades)...

Some are just built to work.

Old 09-02-2023, 12:55 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
well i spent about 3 months fully retired ..

got an SOS call on tuesday from my old company ….

they lost 3 people in one week for one reason or another ..

got recruited for another tour of duty …training new hires .

3 days last week , 4 next week , 3 to 4 days for about a month or so after that .

it’s a good thing i like what i did , plus the money is good .

but when i retired the owner said can i still call you if i run in to a jam ..i said sure , i will always help you .

i didn’t think it would happen ha ha

Old 09-02-2023, 01:07 PM

7,485 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
well i spent about 3 months fully retired ..

got an SOS call on tuesday from my old company ….

they lost 3 people in one week for one reason or another ..

got recruited for another tour of duty …training new hires .

3 days last week , 4 next week , 3 to 4 days for about a month or so after that .

it’s a good thing i like what i did , plus the money is good .

but when i retired the owner said can i still call you if i run in to a jam ..i said sure , i will always help you .

i didn’t think it would happen ha ha

That is probably going to happen for years until they have the next generation all trained up and taking over. Unfortunately, you are a man of your word so you will continue to help the owner (probably until you are drooling and need help changing your Depends -- LOL).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement