Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2023, 07:25 AM

2,341 posts, read 613,440 times

Advertisements

Oh, my - NOPE!!!

My DH retired from NPS in 2013, got his real estate license, then in about 2015 we started buying rental properties - we now own 2 with his mom - 1 with one of our daughters, and 5 others - all have mortgages. Only 1 is a short term rental - AirBNB. I will be retiring from NPS myself at the end of 2024.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2023, 08:07 AM

307 posts, read 195,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Another question that could be asked is how do you manage retiring not having a reasonable mortgage but having to rent instead.
Why phrase it as "having to rent"?

I "choose" to rent, having been a former (free and clear) homeowner.

I "manage(d)" by securing my financial future during my 25 working years.

Old 09-01-2023, 08:12 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,925,268 times
If you have sufficient income, and you have a good interest rate, why delay retirement? I retired with a mortgage and paid it off after a couple of years.

My main reason to pay it off was to simplify my estate. Whoever inherits my mess won't have a mortgaged property to deal with.

From a pure dollars and cents point of view it would have been better to invest the money rather than paying it off since the interest rate was low. But there are more important things than squeezing out the last possible penny.

Old 09-01-2023, 08:48 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I notice it's one of those threads where the OP makes a post and then doesn't return to comment on the responses. No rule against that, I just find that behavior a bit annoying, almost like they are tossing out a firecracker into a crowd to see what the reaction will be.

But I just reread the title, which is slightly different from the question in the OP. "Should you delay your retirement..."

I remember when I bought my condo, the first home I ever owned, at the age of not-quite-52, taking a 30-year mortgage, thinking I might well never live to see it paid off.

But things changed, including my financial situation, and I not only refinanced after ten years to a 15-year, I paid ahead, so there's a good possibility I could have it paid off by the time I am 70 or before.

Or I might sell and move before then. But no, I would not have delayed my retirement until I was 81 years old, lol.

Old 09-01-2023, 08:53 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
If you have sufficient income, and you have a good interest rate, why delay retirement? I retired with a mortgage and paid it off after a couple of years.

My main reason to pay it off was to simplify my estate. Whoever inherits my mess won't have a mortgaged property to deal with.

From a pure dollars and cents point of view it would have been better to invest the money rather than paying it off since the interest rate was low. But there are more important things than squeezing out the last possible penny.
Thank you, I agree. My mortgage is 3.25%. I pay an extra few hundred dollars on the mortgage each month so that I am paying off at least $1000 a month against the principal. I know the conventional wisdom is that I should pay minimum and take that $300+ and put it into an investment/CD/etc where I get 4.5% or 5% or so, but really? Is it worth doing the backflips for a few dollars a month vs. just paying off the mortgage?

I think this year I won't even be able to itemize for the first time, the interest portion is so low.

Old 09-01-2023, 09:55 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,578,846 times
my mortgage will be paid off when I'm about 105. Don't think I can work that long...

Old 09-01-2023, 10:04 AM

844 posts, read 419,709 times
Quote:
For me personally, renting would cost me much more than paying my mortgage, at least double. Just in the last 4 years, rents have skyrocketed while my mortgage payment has stayed the same.
Same here. More than double in fact, here in the land where everyone wants to live.

Even if I was on SS, my mortgage payment would be only a fraction of my SS payment. I'm good at keeping this going.

Quote:
Another question that could be asked is how do you manage retiring not having a reasonable mortgage but having to rent instead.
Simple. Some chose to spend money in keeping up with the Joneses, nice car, eat out all the time, etc. Others simply could not come up with a down-payment, or having a decent credit score.

Old 09-01-2023, 10:51 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfishTim View Post
Same here. More than double in fact, here in the land where everyone wants to live.

Even if I was on SS, my mortgage payment would be only a fraction of my SS payment. I'm good at keeping this going.

Simple. Some chose to spend money in keeping up with the Joneses, nice car, eat out all the time, etc. Others simply could not come up with a down-payment, or having a decent credit score.
My mortgage was 1/5 of what my SS payment is so I had no issue living only on SS, but that was me. I planned it that way before I retired. Being single with just one not very high income, one has to be more careful about planning and making things work. Well, either that or drop dead still working in my 70s or 80s.

Last edited by marino760; 09-01-2023 at 10:59 AM..

Old 09-01-2023, 11:37 AM

844 posts, read 419,709 times
Quote:
My mortgage was 1/5 of what my SS payment is so I had no issue living only on SS, but that was me. I planned it that way before I retired. Being single with just one not very high income, one has to be more careful about planning and making things work. Well, either that or drop dead still working in my 70s or 80s.
Being in a HCOL of your old stumping ground, my mortgage will be 1/4 of my SS payment. But since I'm married I have one additional mouth to feed, plus need to take her on vactions just to keep happy That's why men die young.

Old 09-01-2023, 03:00 PM

106,654 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfishTim View Post
Being in a HCOL of your old stumping ground, my mortgage will be 1/4 of my SS payment. But since I'm married I have one additional mouth to feed, plus need to take her on vactions just to keep happy That's why men die young.
until death do us part isn’t a marriage vow as much as a goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement