Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 09:44 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.kiplinger.com/retirement...-in-retirementNeither MrsM, or I, ever felt this way. We have many friends who had lots of issues when starting retirement.

This is a very interesting article, IMHO
I've never felt that way either. I mean...not even a tiny bit. I've always been a busy person that is into a lot of things. Retirement just gave me more time to do all the other stuff!! I've never known anyone that had issues with retirement, although I talk to a lot of people that are not yet retired and are worried that they will be bored (or get divorced LOL!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2023, 09:54 AM

6,356 posts, read 7,764,876 times
I really, really enjoyed my work, (NASA space program), and would probably still be doing it if it weren't for the commute. Even though behind me now, I am not lost. Volunteer work is the key. My life is defined differently now. I am a servant to my fellow citizen. Doing things for others is very, very rewarding.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 09-06-2023, 10:08 AM

17,372 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
No, it is not scary at all. Why would it be scary? (it was way scarier to practice actually :-) But it is slightly dramatic, after all the years of being so focused on something... but the most dramatic element of the drama is the relief from responsibility. I never knew it was possible to feel this free.

Re licenses, of course you can continue renewing them, but they are expensive, and it's a major waste of $ to keep them after you haven't practiced for two years. After that amount of time, a physician couldn't in reality go back to practice even if he/she wanted.
I suppose that's true. Once you let your license expire there is no going back. You are officially retired and you accept that you are.

I can see how some who don't have that decisive break from work (allowing a license to lapse) could remain more on the fence/in limbo with a tendency to want to keep a toe in the water so to speak.

Old 09-06-2023, 10:14 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,386,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I suppose that's true. Once you let your license expire there is no going back. You are officially retired and you accept that you are.

I can see how some who don't have that decisive break from work (allowing a license to lapse) could remain more on the fence/in limbo with a tendency to want to keep a toe in the water so to speak.
For a physician, the only way to keep a toe in the water is to keep practicing per diem - which always turns into practicing for a substantial time, which means continuing to swim in the water with much more than a toe (notice how the general surgeon in the WSJ $5 million article considers himself retired because he takes the whole 3 months off from work every year to travel :-).

Old 09-06-2023, 10:20 AM

17,372 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
For a physician, the only way to keep a toe in the water is to keep practicing per diem - which always turns into practicing for a substantial time, which means continuing to swim in the water with much more than a toe (notice how the general surgeon in the WSJ $5 million article considers himself retired because he takes the whole 3 months off from work every year to travel :-).
Yeah, better to let the danged license lapse and be done with it.

Old 09-06-2023, 10:24 AM

3,097 posts, read 2,220,033 times
I believe the article refers to scenario involving people in central, high visibility, broad scope sort of roles - e.g. CEOs or very senior leaders of significant sized enterprises who had a lot of authority and control. When one is in that sort of a role for an extended period of time, it seeps into one's persona and expectations. The transition from that sort of role to Joe Regular is a harder transition. Our modern day Ulysses S. Grant is having similar difficulties.

So, the effect is not going to be universal but limited to those who have such a transition.

Old 09-06-2023, 10:33 AM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
I never identified with my job. I did identify as someone who could make more money (work more shifts) and pick up the check, etc. Not so in retirement.

I still have my RN license. Will have to decide soon if I should let it go.

Old 09-06-2023, 10:43 AM

30,521 posts, read 16,213,477 times
yea, a definite change in identity. From high pressure, no appreciation, being told how to do the job by people who were clueless how to do the job, and constant criticism to having my time be mine and not taking orders from anyone and everyone.

I definitely prefer the new me.

Old 09-06-2023, 10:45 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,386,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
I believe the article refers to scenario involving people in central, high visibility, broad scope sort of roles - e.g. CEOs or very senior leaders of significant sized enterprises who had a lot of authority and control. When one is in that sort of a role for an extended period of time, it seeps into one's persona and expectations. The transition from that sort of role to Joe Regular is a harder transition. Our modern day Ulysses S. Grant is having similar difficulties.

So, the effect is not going to be universal but limited to those who have such a transition.
The Kiplinger article (cited by OP at the beginning of this thread)? No, it starts with Ulysses Grant, but then it refers to retirement in general. It does not refer to people in central roles.

Old 09-06-2023, 10:46 AM

844 posts, read 419,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post

In my not-so-scientific opinion, man particularly has a strong identity with what he does for living. Maybe traditionally men are the breadwinner and that's a big part of who he is/ what he do. A common social meet & greet question after the introduction is often "So, what do you do?" as a conversation starter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement