Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 10:49 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times

Advertisements

I was fortunate to enjoy my career, but it wasn't who I was. I was thrilled the day I was able to retire and never looked back. I still pinch myself 8 years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2023, 11:09 AM

8,333 posts, read 4,372,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Yeah, better to let the danged license lapse and be done with it.
In my case, it was Covid that gave it a push. I wasn't scared of the virus, but the hospital where I worked on a contract (as I had worked for about 20 years in various hospitals, often with back to back contracts) canceled all the elective procedures and no longer needed my services. So, I went home to Boston to fully rest (for the first time in a long looong time... or maybe first time ever? :-), and coincidentally I had recently turned 60. The chaos and guesswork reigned everywhere about Covid management, to which all resources were redirected, and in which I wasn't eager to participate (again, not because I was scared, but because I really want to know what I am doing prior to doing stuff to patients). So I took it easy for a couple of months, getting up whenever I wanted in the morning, reading my books, listening to my CDs, watching the empty street through my windows. It was amazing. After a couple of months, I realized there was no way, no how that I could psychologically go back to work again. My main state license was just renewed, so I had two years to think about the next renewal, but it took me much less than two years to decide on NO!!!!! NO.

Old 09-06-2023, 11:17 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Work wasn't who I was, and neither is retirement. Whatever I am doing at the moment is how I identify myself, always subject to change.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-06-2023, 11:25 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I've had people ask what I do all day, since I don't ski or bike or do extreme outdoor activities like so many. Apparently I don't look my age of 70 and people think I should be gallivanting around the mountains (instead of indoors like Pilates or the gym).

I have a friend who is a prestigious filmmaker and has always disliked the "what do you do" question, as people are often intimidated by her answer. She prefers to ask, "What have you been thinking about lately?" Much more interesting.

Old 09-06-2023, 11:39 AM

536 posts, read 392,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I really, really enjoyed my work, (NASA space program), and would probably still be doing it if it weren't for the commute. Even though behind me now, I am not lost. Volunteer work is the key. My life is defined differently now. I am a servant to my fellow citizen. Doing things for others is very, very rewarding.
What kind of volunteer work are you doing? That might give some future retirees some ideas of things to look into.

Old 09-06-2023, 11:50 AM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
I believe the article refers to scenario involving people in central, high visibility, broad scope sort of roles - e.g. CEOs or very senior leaders of significant sized enterprises who had a lot of authority and control. When one is in that sort of a role for an extended period of time, it seeps into one's persona and expectations. The transition from that sort of role to Joe Regular is a harder transition. Our modern day Ulysses S. Grant is having similar difficulties.

So, the effect is not going to be universal but limited to those who have such a transition.
I worried about this for my husband for this reason but he took to retirement like a duck to water. He didn’t grow up with the American view of living to work but rather working to live. He loved his job,his research ect but thank goodness he chose not to have his identity defined by his job.
Me I’m an artist no matter what, so creativity one way or another is woven into the tapestry of my life.

Old 09-06-2023, 11:53 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
In my case, it was Covid that gave it a push. I wasn't scared of the virus, but the hospital where I worked on a contract (as I had worked for about 20 years in various hospitals, often with back to back contracts) canceled all the elective procedures and no longer needed my services. So, I went home to Boston to fully rest (for the first time in a long looong time... or maybe first time ever? :-), and coincidentally I had recently turned 60. The chaos and guesswork reigned everywhere about Covid management, to which all resources were redirected, and in which I wasn't eager to participate (again, not because I was scared, but because I really want to know what I am doing prior to doing stuff to patients). So I took it easy for a couple of months, getting up whenever I wanted in the morning, reading my books, listening to my CDs, watching the empty street through my windows. It was amazing. After a couple of months, I realized there was no way, no how that I could psychologically go back to work again. My main state license was just renewed, so I had two years to think about the next renewal, but it took me much less than two years to decide on NO!!!!! NO.
I think that Covid pushed a lot of folks in the medical field into retiring sooner than they had expected to. It wasn't so much the virus as it was the goal post moving, protocols and policies that made retiring an easy decision. Actually, I think the same thing could be said for a lot of workers in other fields, too. If they were close to retirement and could retire, they got out.

Old 09-06-2023, 11:58 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I've had people ask what I do all day, since I don't ski or bike or do extreme outdoor activities like so many. Apparently I don't look my age of 70 and people think I should be gallivanting around the mountains (instead of indoors like Pilates or the gym).

I have a friend who is a prestigious filmmaker and has always disliked the "what do you do" question, as people are often intimidated by her answer. She prefers to ask, "What have you been thinking about lately?" Much more interesting.
You are smart not to get into "extreme sports" in your retirement. I know that people do it but they also pay for it with knee and hip replacements. No thanks.

I'll be happy to play a game of pickle ball, take a hike on a wooded trail and maybe play some golf. There are lots of fun things to do that don't involve stressing our bodies to the max.

Old 09-06-2023, 12:02 PM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
I think this holds true for me and the reason why I have plans to work until the very end. I dont want to get old and in my opinion, retirement signifies that... kind of like the final chapter in life. I am not ready to be in that mindset and feel continuing to work will keep me young. I have nothing that I would want to do in retirement anyway so might as well keep working, lol.

Old 09-06-2023, 12:45 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,069,067 times
I agree with the poster who said it's better not to quit cold turkey. I stopped working in my early 60's then felt bored and went back to work for 5 more years. This job was part time and flexible and provided that "easing into retirement" situation which really helped me to adjust to a slower pace. Now I'm totally retired. But who knows, maybe another career is in the works for me!

There are 2 kinds of people: worker bees and those who enjoy leisure. I've never been a leisure person. I don't crave sitting around yakking it up with people at long lunches or laying at the pool all day. I belonged to a pool this past summer and there were retirees who spent their entire day there. I'm happiest being a worker bee. Not necessarily paid employment, but I need constructive activity.

It's a case-by-case basis; if you have adult children and grandchildren, you might not miss your career but there are other people (such as me) whose spent 50 years of their lives working long hours and developing careers, and it's not easy to close the door on that and say goodbye to one's career even despite the negatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement