Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 04:12 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I think this holds true for me and the reason why I have plans to work until the very end. I dont want to get old and in my opinion, retirement signifies that... kind of like the final chapter in life. I am not ready to be in that mindset and feel continuing to work will keep me young. I have nothing that I would want to do in retirement anyway so might as well keep working, lol.
I just can't even imagine that. I've always been so damn busy. It's weird but the older I have become, the busier I have become. Being bored or not having anything to do is just a foreign concept to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2023, 04:19 PM

2,982 posts, read 1,566,292 times
What identity loss? What I was doing was what someone else told me to do for a paycheck, now I do what I want. Although I miss some of my co-workers I don't miss getting up before the crap of dawn to get ready for work and then commute both ways five days a week.

Old 09-06-2023, 05:14 PM

4,280 posts, read 5,939,679 times
This is why I decided to identify post-retirement activities for myself two years prior to retirement. My post-retirement identity is not the same as my pre-retirement identity which was inexorably linked to my career. Now my identity is linked to those activities I like to do for fun and personal growth.

Old 09-06-2023, 05:21 PM

4,280 posts, read 5,939,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Correct, almost all retire gradually. No exception here, but full retirement, with the decision to let all the licenses lapse and never practice again, is still eventful!
Yes, allowing licenses to lapse is a tough one. I retired in mid-2020, renewed my Professional Engineering license in Fall of 2021, secured enough CEU's to renew again in Fall of 2024 which would keep me licensed until age 70 - but I don't think I will.
That was all in the past.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 09-06-2023 at 05:33 PM..

Old 09-06-2023, 05:28 PM

18,109 posts, read 15,683,109 times
Identity loss is more a risk when working for a corporation or organization, IMO. Just a cog in the wheel, as it were.

Old 09-06-2023, 05:49 PM

4,214 posts, read 3,762,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I just can't even imagine that. I've always been so damn busy. It's weird but the older I have become, the busier I have become. Being bored or not having anything to do is just a foreign concept to me.
Dont get me wrong, i have plenty to keep me busy. Im not one to relax but i meant more or less that some people have all these big plans for retirement and i have nothing.

Old 09-06-2023, 06:04 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,201,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I've had people ask what I do all day, since I don't ski or bike or do extreme outdoor activities like so many. Apparently I don't look my age of 70 and people think I should be gallivanting around the mountains (instead of indoors like Pilates or the gym).

I have a friend who is a prestigious filmmaker and has always disliked the "what do you do" question, as people are often intimidated by her answer. She prefers to ask, "What have you been thinking about lately?" Much more interesting.
I used to get asked that a lot when I was younger and I found it easy to share what I do and then they would interrupt and say they meant what do I do to earn a living. I usually just winked and say I’d rather not be such a bore discussing work. It’s such an American thing to ask and I realized the first few years in America to navigate it.

Old 09-06-2023, 06:09 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,201,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes, I admit to having an identity crisis in retirement.

But not related to jobs or work. My identity was in my hobbies: horses, hiking, kayaking. I don't quite know who I am without those. Bad joints put the kibosh on all those.

I had lots of plans for fun in retirement--activities to replace those, but for various reasons, none of them have panned out.

Still looking! At least we can still travel, but the rest of the year....
That I’d totally get.

Old 09-06-2023, 06:18 PM

3,103 posts, read 2,225,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes, I admit to having an identity crisis in retirement.

But not related to jobs or work. My identity was in my hobbies: horses, hiking, kayaking. I don't quite know who I am without those. Bad joints put the kibosh on all those.

I had lots of plans for fun in retirement--activities to replace those, but for various reasons, none of them have panned out.

Still looking! At least we can still travel, but the rest of the year....
I agree that this is the scenario that worries me. A large portion of my hobbies and joys are outdoors and somewhat physically oriented. So, loss of physical abilities is what worries me. Retirement, when I get around to it, is not a big deal.

Old 09-06-2023, 06:54 PM

844 posts, read 420,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I used to get asked that a lot when I was younger and I found it easy to share what I do and then they would interrupt and say they meant what do I do to earn a living. I usually just winked and say I’d rather not be such a bore discussing work. It’s such an American thing to ask and I realized the first few years in America to navigate it.
Haha. Just like when they ask you "How are you doing?" They don't really want to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement