Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2023, 12:55 PM

15,254 posts, read 13,051,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We fast forward through almost every commercial, but I have bought a few fast foods after seeing the ads.

It made me try the new Chick fil A Spicy Honey and Pimento cheese sandwich, which is good, and an ad for Taco Bell made us say, “We should go to Taco Bell sometime.” There’s a Chipotle ad running now with a “bowl” that looks good.

My skinny-as-a-rail spouse eats junk food. Loves waffle fries, Dairy Queen sundaes, cherry and lemon hand pies that he buys by the dozen. He doesn't need to see the commercials to get hooked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2023, 02:08 PM

11,763 posts, read 14,706,959 times
I can pinpoint almost to the day the one time my behavior was influenced by a commercial.

I was sitting at home watching the All Star Game when a commercial came on for the Mobil Speed Pass. It was a little transponder that you put on your keychain that would activate the gas pump and charge your Mobil credit card. It looked so great that I immediately got up, called the number on my screen, and ordered it.

They later released a passive one that you would mount to the rear window of your car, and I got that, too.

I don't know why they stopped supporting that program, but it was great while it lasted.

Old 10-06-2023, 02:56 PM

22,773 posts, read 19,397,945 times
since this thread, I've been paying attention to "when and where" the ads pop up when I am online. I do research things online for gardening hobby, and I do occasionally search for songs on youtube to hear, for instance if i see an actor I like in a Korean K-drama series, and i see that he sang the soundtrack and i like the music, i may go to you tube to listen to more of their music. Or if they are acting in a drama, and I like the actor, and I find out they started in music then it is fun to see them singing and dancing in music videos. Yim Si Wan is one of my favorite actors in K-Drama and to me he is outstanding in serious challenging roles. His early music videos are fun to watch he was a background singer before he made it big as an actor. His fans of course have put the music videos up and circled where he is in the background so we know which one he is. It is quite fun.

Anyway sure enough today pulling up a song from an Israeli singer i really like, there in you tube in the list of songs on the right side of the page for this artist (Yaakov Shwekey, his songs go straight to my heart), is a little ad for leather boots. It's funny it's in the same shape and size as the songs displayed. i didn't buy the boots, decided it against it, so that didn't influence me at all.

Old 10-06-2023, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 141 times
No!!!

Old 10-06-2023, 05:47 PM

1,062 posts, read 926,928 times
yes.
negatively.
especially the
fast-talking ones.

Old 10-06-2023, 06:25 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,545,968 times
I turn the sound down when commercials come on. So annoying.

Old 10-06-2023, 06:45 PM

23,651 posts, read 14,143,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
I turn the sound down when commercials come on. So annoying.
Well, that is one of those things......another nail in the coffin to why I left TV behind. They went off and made the commercials part of the show, here and there. Do you turn down the sound when that happens?

As to the question, yes I am influenced......in that I am not influenced because it has pi**ed me off so much, I turned off the entire medium.

Old 10-06-2023, 07:08 PM

10,221 posts, read 7,640,528 times
The way commercials and other ads work is that they are repetitive, so that the name brand or item gets into your brain. So when you go to buy such an item in the future, you recognize the product and will tend to buy it because it's familiar. people who say they're not influenced by ads in commercials are fooling themselves. There's been a ton of money spent on researching whether ads and commercials justify the high cost of them. The research shows that the ads work.

Who doesn't remember some of the commercials from the old days, like " pop, pop, fizz, fizz... oh what a relief it is" (Alka Seltzer)

Or the song commercial: "I'd like to buy the world a home, and furnish it with love. Grow apple trees and honey bees and snow white turtle doves.... i'd like to buy the world a Coke and keep it company ... It's the real thing, what the world wants to be.."
https://youtu.be/ib-Qiyklq-Q?si=qpT5FLLaSGoyCwGM

https://youtu.be/6L8LjQRk9w4?si=5iUIWuTs-Gk0YyQD

Old 10-06-2023, 08:10 PM

22,773 posts, read 19,397,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
The way commercials and other ads work is that they are repetitive, so that the name brand or item gets into your brain. So when you go to buy such an item in the future, you recognize the product and will tend to buy it because it's familiar. people who say they're not influenced by ads in commercials are fooling themselves. There's been a ton of money spent on researching whether ads and commercials justify the high cost of them. The research shows that the ads work.

Who doesn't remember some of the commercials from the old days, like " pop, pop, fizz, fizz... oh what a relief it is" (Alka Seltzer)

Or the song commercial: "I'd like to buy the world a home, and furnish it with love. Grow apple trees and honey bees and snow white turtle doves.... i'd like to buy the world a Coke and keep it company ... It's the real thing, what the world wants to be.."
https://youtu.be/ib-Qiyklq-Q?si=qpT5FLLaSGoyCwGM

https://youtu.be/6L8LjQRk9w4?si=5iUIWuTs-Gk0YyQD

i am old enough to remember when they still allowed cigarettes to be advertised on TV, and the catchy little tunes that went with them: "I'd walk a mile for a Camel, wouldn't you" "Winston tastes good like a cigarette should" for Virginia Slims, "You've come a long way baby to get where you got to today" . Man the garbage that is taking up space in my brain, unbelievable. In 1970, TV advertising for cigarettes was banned. I also remember when print cigarette ads actually featured doctors yes medical doctors in the ads. A dentist "As your dentist i recommend Viceroys" "More doctors smoke Camels than any other cigarette."

now those were actors dressed as doctors. In real life (i work in health care) i have colleagues who can remember when not only was smoking allowed in the hospitals, but doctors smoked in the hospital, walking around, seeing patients. She said the only place it was forbidden was in the rooms with oxygen. And even then (and even now, I can attest to it) there are patients who are hard core smokers who try to sneak cigarettes while they are in a room with oxygen. As one guy said "I'm going to be dead soon anyway, nobody's going to tell me i can't have a smoke."

see the ads here
Vintage ads of doctors endorsing tobacco

Old 10-07-2023, 07:37 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,357,704 times
[quote=Tzaphkiel;65923686]i am old enough to remember when they still allowed cigarettes to be advertised on TV, and the catchy little tunes that went with them: "I'd walk a mile for a Camel, wouldn't you" "Winston tastes good like a cigarette should" for Virginia Slims, "You've come a long way baby to get where you got to today" . Man the garbage that is taking up space in my brain, unbelievable. In 1970, TV advertising for cigarettes was banned. I also remember when print cigarette ads actually featured doctors yes medical doctors in the ads. A dentist "As your dentist i recommend Viceroys" "More doctors smoke Camels than any other cigarette."

now those were actors dressed as doctors. In real life (i work in health care) i have colleagues who can remember when not only was smoking allowed in the hospitals, but doctors smoked in the hospital, walking around, seeing patients. She said the only place it was forbidden was in the rooms with oxygen. And even then (and even now, I can attest to it) there are patients who are hard core smokers who try to sneak cigarettes while they are in a room with oxygen. As one guy said "I'm going to be dead soon anyway, nobody's going to tell me i can't have a smoke."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlboro_Man

I vividly remember all of this, too. In fact, I was just thinking last night that tobacco should be banned, but that is unlikely to ever happen at least in what is left of my lifetime. Monied interests will never wear it. My spouse and I used to talk about the insanity of grass being illegal but tobacco and booze being legal. My spouse used to point out that NONE of the higher ups at the tobacco companies smoked. And, yes, plenty of doctors smoked. I remember this being made fun of in an episode of The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin once. Everyone laughed, but no one missed the depressing irony of it.

The ads for cigarettes were often very romantic. I recall Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz actually had provisions in their contracts with William Morris for their characters to smoke on the show. Remember the Marlboro cowboy? He died of cancer, but the advertising campaign generated BILLIONS in revenue.

I lost track of the topic years ago, but I recall some states had begun suing the tobacco companies over the number of smokers who ended up in state hospitals to be cared for whilst dying of cancer. That took a lot of political moxie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacc...20Mike%20Moore.

Yet, with all of these facts, look how many people still smoke. I do not quite understand it. I think in many cases it is a habit passed down from one generation to the next.

It gives me chills to see adults smoking like chimneys in the room with small children or anyone else for that matter. Way back in the '70s, I used to car pool with a friend from work. Fairly often, for one reason or another, another woman from work also rode with us--Joyce. I will never forget her. She was a petite woman, probably in her 50s, rather vain, who always dressed to the nines and smoked like a chimney.

My friend and I did not smoke, but my friend never objected to Joyce smoking in the motor. She would crack one window a tiny, tiny bit, which had no appreciable effect on the smoke inside of the motor. I would sit there in total agony on those days for the 30+ minute drive twice a day. I never said anything to my friend because it was her motor, and she and Joyce were good friends, but I was amazed she allowed it.

My friend's own husband died of emphasema a decade later. He had smoked Camels (unfiltered cigarettes!!) for ages. He was only in his sixties. He had beaten throat cancer once, but went right back to smoking. Crazy! I heard actor John Wayne did the same thing. How on earth do you explain it??? I realise quitting is very hard indeed. After all, it is a powerful drug, but with enough willpower and help from one's doctor, it is possible even for a decades long smoker to quit. Why do they keep smoking?? After all we know and all we have seen, why do they keep doing it?? Is "habit" that strong?? {{{SIGH}}}

Last edited by PhinneyWalker; 10-07-2023 at 07:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement