Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2023, 08:21 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,699 posts, read 81,529,753 times

Advertisements

No in fact I will go out of my way to avoid anything that has annoying commercials, such as Liberty Mutual,
J.G. Wentworth, ASPCA money begging, various Medicare supplements, and the worst, car warranties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2023, 08:24 AM

12,888 posts, read 9,132,128 times
Can't say that I've been influenced by commercials since I was about 7 and saved up all my money to buy my mother a Veg-a-Matic for Christmas. Most of the ads I see any more seem to be singing about some medication or something. And others are so over produced I'll ask my wife "what were they advertising?" so those ads are wasted money.

Old 10-05-2023, 08:33 AM

7,658 posts, read 4,639,279 times
Be careful about responding to anything targeting those 55 and older. Those lists are prime for scammers to get their hands on and they'll bug you forever.

Old 10-05-2023, 09:42 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,811,569 times
While thinking of this a day or so later I realize I am influenced by one thing of commercials and I was hitting Fred Meyer for the gasoline that my vehicle uses.

The problem is is that they've got these machines now set up where your dispensing gas and they're blaming away and some places they won't let you mute the commercial so in retaliation I don't go there.

I go to Arco now because it's so close but this means not only do I not go to Fred Meyer/Kroger for gasoline I don't go shopping there and that's a double whammy they take yes I know I'm only one but I'm sure there are others that do not like to hit those gas stations.

Old 10-05-2023, 09:48 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,699 posts, read 81,529,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
While thinking of this a day or so later I realize I am influenced by one thing of commercials and I was hitting Fred Meyer for the gasoline that my vehicle uses.

The problem is is that they've got these machines now set up where your dispensing gas and they're blaming away and some places they won't let you mute the commercial so in retaliation I don't go there.

I go to Arco now because it's so close but this means not only do I not go to Fred Meyer/Kroger for gasoline I don't go shopping there and that's a double whammy they take yes I know I'm only one but I'm sure there are others that do not like to hit those gas stations.
We have two Krogers, Fred Meyer and QFC, but none with gas. We buy ours at Costco 90% of the time, but also at Safeway if we have bought anything there to get points. Yesterday I filled up and got a 20 cent/gallon discount there.

Old 10-05-2023, 09:50 AM

6,355 posts, read 4,949,998 times
I moved to Arizona because of a TV commercial.

https://youtu.be/quKcG0cXXpI

Old 10-05-2023, 09:50 AM

18,741 posts, read 33,462,795 times
No.

Old 10-05-2023, 10:08 AM

6,612 posts, read 7,112,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I only see commercials when we are traveling as we only have Netflix and a free streaming service at home. So here in SoCal, we are just appalled at all the commercials at our rental. To distract ourselves, we count them: usually about 13 commercials, then 5 minutes of content. It's unbelievable.

But it led me to wonder just how much people buy from commercials. Obviously it works, or there wouldn't be all this money spent on it. I thought long and hard about our purchases, and I honestly can't think of a single thing we bought in our lives due to a commercial. But we must be unusual.

We just mute them and even look at something else, they are so annoying. In fact, I am so turned off by commercials, I won't buy that product. And the pharm products! Good grief, are you going to diagnose yourself, pick your own meds? Most of the ad time is spent on side effects!

Since retirement age people are new to "influencers", I thought our take on commercials might be unique.

What have you bought because "you saw it on TV"?
yes and as others have said it is to either not buy something that is dumb, try to make it if I find something smart but if it cannot be made if it will make my life better I will try most anything.

I am kind of like this. I was the first of my friends to have a car phone. I try a lot of new stuff. I am also part of a family of Americans that kept the economy going when others couldn't because of lack of income.

Old 10-05-2023, 10:17 AM

996 posts, read 564,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I only see commercials when we are traveling as we only have Netflix and a free streaming service at home. So here in SoCal, we are just appalled at all the commercials at our rental. To distract ourselves, we count them: usually about 13 commercials, then 5 minutes of content. It's unbelievable.

But it led me to wonder just how much people buy from commercials. Obviously it works, or there wouldn't be all this money spent on it. I thought long and hard about our purchases, and I honestly can't think of a single thing we bought in our lives due to a commercial. But we must be unusual.

We just mute them and even look at something else, they are so annoying. In fact, I am so turned off by commercials, I won't buy that product. And the pharm products! Good grief, are you going to diagnose yourself, pick your own meds? Most of the ad time is spent on side effects!

Since retirement age people are new to "influencers", I thought our take on commercials might be unique.

What have you bought because "you saw it on TV"?
The only way commercials influence me is that I won't buy certain products because of their awful commercials. In the olden days the commercials for Rice Krispy Treats was so bad that I still don't buy them. I don't have netflix anymore, I never found anything to watch and they keep raising the rates. I have one app that I pay for that does not have commercials (britbox) and it costs the same as Hulu with commercials, so I do see commercials and most of them seem to be aimed at hyperactive 12 to 30 year olds. But they only last a few seconds, not like old network television where we got 15 minutes of commercials for 45 minutes of show.

Old 10-05-2023, 11:33 AM

11,094 posts, read 6,693,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
The only thing I ever wanted was the new Bassomatic 76.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HKTx5WFcs0
LOL. Those ads were actually kind of fun to watch! Hilarious. Like the Veg-o-Matic that inspired a comedy act.

"But wait! There's more!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement