Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 10:07 AM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times

Advertisements

Uber is hit or miss in my city and beyond. It works okay during the day and early evening. I flew into our airport at 1:30 AM and Uber drivers were not interested in working. It would have been a long drive and worth their effort but I suspect they are afraid of being crime victims late at night. Luckily a standard taxi came by and I got home.

Most thieves are opportunists. If they see an opportunity, they will try to take advantage of it. Some people unwittingly set themselves up for trouble by not taking care of what they have or not being sensible and vigilant. There was a practice in my area of "warming up the car" in the morning while the driver took s 2nd cup of coffee. The cars would be gone when they came out -- duh. In spite of frequent stories of car theft and the police trying to warn people, they kept it up. I think they finally figured it out as our car thefts diminished.

One exception to the opportunist thief is burglary or thievery rings where it is practically a profession. They are possibly linked to other crimes, drugs or whatever.

I live far enough out of town now where it has not been very worthwhile to prey upon me or my few neighbors. You would have to come up a long driveway to get a good look at the house. My garage faces the rear of my house so it is not visible, and they might not know if someone is home or not. I have stupidly left the garage door open all night 6-8 times, but no one can see it. The coyotes and local vermin get curious but no humans. Unfortunately, some folks have bought land and built palatial custom houses in my broader neighborhood. These are beyond the McMansion stage in many cases. That might attract some attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2024, 10:30 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
........ Unfortunately, some folks have bought land and built palatial custom houses in my broader neighborhood. These are beyond the McMansion stage in many cases. That might attract some attention.
Bad and badder attention. That is, is someone built that out where I lived, I would not be happy, not happy of the countryside being "civilized".

"Fortunately", I am not a good ole girl and would take no further action other than to be unhappy, maybe improve my place more to shut out the sight of such a mansion*.

BUT, it might attract the attention and actions of others, legal or otherwise. A while back, I got a flyer about some objecting to what someone else was building on their land, saying it was against ordinance, saying we should all come together and do something. To me, A, B, C.

A: What someone does on their land is their affair and not mine.

B: This sounds a lot like a HOA move and I have learned to hate and avoid HOA like the plague.

C: If they are in violation of ordinance, that is a matter between them and the marshal (who, admittedly may or not do anything).

Long story short of it, if remotely, just because you can does not necessarily mean you should. Even if you are remote, keep in mind how others around may see it.

*(to shut out more the influence of others around) Development of nearby ranches is always a concern. One of those concerns is someone will come in with a bigger drainage cone and run my well dry. For that and other concerns, I doubled the storage capacity of my well at a pretty penny. I wouldn't say the ranch is a money pit but a lot goes into it to keep it sustainable.

Old 02-16-2024, 08:58 AM

903 posts, read 664,089 times
Once our daughter buys our house, we will rent. Currently in Northcentral Wisconsin and debating between Door County and the Northwoods of WI.

We plan to travel a lot. We know we want a month in AZ.

We still own 40 acres adjacent to our house. We will either build a small dry cabin, for a quick night or 2 visit or possibly a camper. My son-in-law built a dry cabin when they lived in Alaska and he has come up with plans for us. If we go that route we will add an compostable toilet. And we can still shower in our old house.

My brother owns a place in Florida- will sell his place in Chicago when they retire later this year and just bought a camper to put on his land he owns down the road from us. He owns my grandparents original farmstead. Not really feasible to live in for long periods of time. But he is sentimental and loves the memories. He will stay in the house but his wife can only handle it for 1-2 days. So the camper has accommodated them nicely for 2-3 weeks they spend up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement