Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2024, 10:05 AM

7,761 posts, read 3,791,421 times

Advertisements

[quote=leftylynn99;66412111]

The second part is, do we want to live in a 55+ type community where we have the potential to have friends nearby. I also thought because we don't have kids that might be a good living situation where everyone looks out for each other in a good way. The con of that is I'm worried that as people age, many of them seem to find entertainment in policing the neighbors and getting in everyone's business causing drama.

Another con is what my SIL calls the "organ recital." Old people tend to talk about physical ailments and limitations. It is understandable, of course, personally I don't want to hang out with a bunch of people who constantly talk about what is wrong with themselves or spouses the list of all their doctors and medications they take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM

17,357 posts, read 16,498,076 times
I want to live in an over 55 golf cart community, in a smallish one level home on a small lot, easy maintenance with quick access to conveniences. These communities tend to have things in the homes like grab bars and shower seats as part of their design so if you get to a point where you need those things, they're already in place.

I'd rather put up with some crowds rather than be isolated. I know that I don't want to be dealing with the upkeep of land and a big house. Ideally, we'll be able to get away and take some trips but we will also take advantage of the many things there are to do in the community.

Old 02-11-2024, 10:25 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,040,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftylynn99 View Post
The second part is, do we want to live in a 55+ type community where we have the potential to have friends nearby. I also thought because we don't have kids that might be a good living situation where everyone looks out for each other in a good way. The con of that is I'm worried that as people age, many of them seem to find entertainment in policing the neighbors and getting in everyone's business causing drama. That makes me think we need to have at least a couple acres and some privacy, so we're not annoyed by busy-body neighbors. Then on the other hand as we age, is living remotely really the best thing for loneliness, safety, convenience, etc.

That brings me to thinking that living in a town where there's a mix of different people and things are within close walking and driving distance would be the best living situation for seniors. We're a ways out from becoming seniors, but definitely thinking ahead to position ourselves in the best situation possible when the time comes.
Not sure how you define "remote", but I have lived in remote areas and in town.

Without a doubt, you know your neighbors in a "remote" area.

You are dependent on them in emergencies and in many cases share expenses like road maintenance, snow plowing, etc.

Just because everybody know your business does not mean they are involved in your business. Granted, the worst folks are recent urban refugees. I think they get issued "no trespassing" signs as they leave the city!!!

If you don't want someone in your business, move to a city.

For seniors I think the best situation is a small town and a walking situation. At least, until self-driving cars actually work.

Old 02-11-2024, 10:26 AM

36,416 posts, read 16,023,456 times
I live rural, about 8 miles to store, 10-13 to other places and downtown. I live on 1 acre, my Dad lives on 9 and he is soon to be 95..he can still handle mostly everything outdoors, plus he's a custom knife maker. He has made my acre so that I will be able to handle it when he is gone. I want to live here forever. My brother lives 1 hour away with his wife. Even with getting older I'm 71 female, single, I won't move unless it's a catastrophe like loss of mobility or dementia.

I love the view from my back sliding door, there is a house behind me on a private road with2 other residences on that road, next door is a vineyard. The house behind me is about 200 yards away and the property behind me and them belongs to Dad.

I'm very happy here.

Old 02-11-2024, 12:00 PM

130,122 posts, read 12,082,762 times
Op, it is a very personal decision & only you can decide. I would hate to be too rural. I would also hate to be in a busy city. Our compromise was on the outskirts of a small town. About 5 miles for groceries etc, which is fine. I woudl hate to have to drive 20 miles for one item of shopping.

Old 02-11-2024, 12:59 PM

471 posts, read 404,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftylynn99 View Post
As I continue my quest for our ideal retirement location, I feel like there's an important question that I can't seem to solidly answer. Do we want to live remotely or around others. It seems like a simple question, but there's so many factors and I can see pros and cons with both.

So the first part of it is, I know we for sure want to get away from traffic, but we like to have a nice variety of stores and restaurants. I could see living within a half hour of a small to mid size city or even in a town with a population around 20-50 thousand.

The second part is, do we want to live in a 55+ type community where we have the potential to have friends nearby. I also thought because we don't have kids that might be a good living situation where everyone looks out for each other in a good way. The con of that is I'm worried that as people age, many of them seem to find entertainment in policing the neighbors and getting in everyone's business causing drama. That makes me think we need to have at least a couple acres and some privacy, so we're not annoyed by busy-body neighbors. Then on the other hand as we age, is living remotely really the best thing for loneliness, safety, convenience, etc.

That brings me to thinking that living in a town where there's a mix of different people and things are within close walking and driving distance would be the best living situation for seniors. We're a ways out from becoming seniors, but definitely thinking ahead to position ourselves in the best situation possible when the time comes.

What thoughts do you have or what experiences have you had with this?

We went through this very scenario. In the end, we settled on the outskirts of a medium sized (~25K) town which is about 20 mins from a fair sized metro (300K). We were lucky to find a four acre property with lots of trees and space while still being attached to a nice subdivision and nice neighbors. While many of the residents are retired, it also has a mix of younger families. Everything here is convenient and it's a relaxing place to live. We made a difficult choice to move away from our family to do this for retirement, but we enjoy traveling over to visit family more now. In all, it is a nice trade-off and we think in the long run worth it.

Old 02-11-2024, 03:34 PM

7,435 posts, read 4,676,648 times
Around others for me. Safety in number.

Old 02-11-2024, 06:13 PM

4,542 posts, read 2,266,850 times
My husband and I are having the same exact debate. We don’t live near any of our grown children and don’t really have any close friends due to working from home for the past 20 years. We love our state and want to stay here but we would like to have the opportunity to meet people our age and be somewhere we can see live music, sports and have access to vegan food and good healthcare. . We are private people and home bodies though. We are debating 55 and over community in a cultural area or a home with acreage away from others. Decisions, decisions.

Old 02-11-2024, 06:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
Around others for me. Safety in number.
If they are survivalist. Lots of food and ammo stored.

Hungry and thirsty crowds will not be so congenial.

Ability to grow-your-own (food, water, fuel) might be a plus. Hope not.

Abundant water, long growing season, moderate temps (low heat, no cooling need), and plentiful hunting and fishing make for a sustainable choice.

Old 02-12-2024, 06:00 AM

14,967 posts, read 9,797,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
If they are survivalist. Lots of food and ammo stored.

Hungry and thirsty crowds will not be so congenial.

Ability to grow-your-own (food, water, fuel) might be a plus. Hope not.

Abundant water, long growing season, moderate temps (low heat, no cooling need), and plentiful hunting and fishing make for a sustainable choice.
This about a choice for retirement... lol, but I know what your sayin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement