Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 05:02 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,304,086 times

Advertisements

Look up "Non Emergency Medical Transportation". Many areas have vans with wheelchair lifts, as well as sedans, to take people to med appointments, for a fee. Find out the fee and how to get scheduled.

Contact local Council on Aging to get list of transport companies that can do Non Emergency Medical Transport. If no Council on Aging, see if there is a local agency that helps people with disabilities in your area. They might know of transport companies. Or, call the hospital and ask to speak to their Social Worker, then ask for a list of transportation companies that do "Non Emergency Medical Transportation".

Some counties have their own transport vehicles which take people to med appts and shopping, etc. Being a senior or being disabled usually qualifies someone to use that service but often there is an application that needs to be filled out and an approval process which could take a couple weeks. Once approved, you can schedule a pickup and dropoff as long as the facility AND your home are within the location that is covered. Often they can only drive within 1 county and can't take you to appts in the next county, even if just over the county line. This is for the county-specific transport services which are usually for disabled and seniors. Some are free or charge a few dollars each way for the trip.

Old 02-22-2024, 05:05 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I don't bother. I think we're tested and screened to death these days, and I wouldn't pursue treatment, anyway. If you don't even have anyone to ask to give you a ride to a medical procedure, why would you want to extend your life to the point where you'd really need care?
Goodness, otter, I dare say that simply because someone may not be able to find a ride to a medical appointment hardly means that they should just give up and die. SMH.

Old 02-22-2024, 05:23 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
Different strokes for different folks. I am almost 75 and have had a hip and a knee replaced. I still go out now and then and shoot hoops with some of the neighborhood kids. I much rather prefer my life now than if I had not had the replacements and would be dealing with the constant pain and lack of mobility.

Old 02-22-2024, 05:43 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Look up "Non Emergency Medical Transportation". Many areas have vans with wheelchair lifts, as well as sedans, to take people to med appointments, for a fee. Find out the fee and how to get scheduled.

Contact local Council on Aging to get list of transport companies that can do Non Emergency Medical Transport. If no Council on Aging, see if there is a local agency that helps people with disabilities in your area. They might know of transport companies. Or, call the hospital and ask to speak to their Social Worker, then ask for a list of transportation companies that do "Non Emergency Medical Transportation".

Some counties have their own transport vehicles which take people to med appts and shopping, etc. Being a senior or being disabled usually qualifies someone to use that service but often there is an application that needs to be filled out and an approval process which could take a couple weeks. Once approved, you can schedule a pickup and dropoff as long as the facility AND your home are within the location that is covered. Often they can only drive within 1 county and can't take you to appts in the next county, even if just over the county line. This is for the county-specific transport services which are usually for disabled and seniors. Some are free or charge a few dollars each way for the trip.
Our county has this service. It is free for local county appointments - but they charge a little bit if they have to go to the city.

And yes speaking with a hospital social worker can help.

Old 02-22-2024, 07:56 PM

3,373 posts, read 1,962,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Try nextdoor. A friend of mine found pet sitter, driver, who knows what on it. Talk to your neighbor. She/he may need you one day. Doctors/hospitals have patient/driver matches. Best of luck on your procedure.
I’ve always joined NextDoor in every place we’ve lived and always found the best people for any services I’ve needed.I’ve seen posts asking for rides to and from a procedure involving sedation and sure enough, there’s two or three stepping up to help.

Old 02-22-2024, 07:59 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Ask a friend or neighbor.
Ask a relative.
Friends are the family members God never gave us! Thank God for that!

Old 02-22-2024, 08:22 PM

7,485 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Friends are the family you choose.

Old 02-22-2024, 09:28 PM

2,857 posts, read 1,802,529 times
Off topic ? A neighbor whom I waved to, she knew I drove. Husband
Stage 4, she called me, said if you need a ride. Call from nursing home, called neighbor. Last time I saw my husband alive.

Sometimes you need help, especially in your vintage years. Friend told me I was not allowing others the opportunity to serve.

Old 02-22-2024, 10:43 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,604,666 times
I use Uber/Lyft, they say it's not allowed... so what? I get a safe ride home.

I used to use as the opening line on my online dating profile: "I'm looking for a lifetime partner... but will settle for a ride from my colonoscopy too at this point."

Old 02-22-2024, 10:45 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
I'm so ego proud, I'd rather stab myself than ask someone for help, even if it be a relative, but at the same time I'm depriving someone of the joy of giving to others. How selfish of me!

I've always believed that giving to others can bring you the greatest highs in life. But what's wrong with me, I don't want others to help me in times of need, and give them a high in life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement