Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2024, 10:16 AM

10,091 posts, read 6,424,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Hire an Uber driver anyway.
How are they gonna know he's an Uber driver? Anyway, he's my driver. Easy money for him, solves a problem for me.
Because at some facilities they make the driver stay during the procedure. For my endoscopy, colonoscopy, and cataract surgery, the driver had to be on the premises during the entire procedure and sign in beforehand as well. I don't know of an Uber driver who would do that. In my case, I have used either one of my garden helpers (known them for over a decade) when they were available or a licensed bonded medical transport company. I did have an Uber driver arranged to drive me to a follow-up appointment after my cataract surgery, but he didn't show up and I had to bang on my neighbor's door and beg a ride. Thankfully she was at home and graciously took me there and back and told me to ask again if one was needed. I'd do the same for her as well anytime.

Old 02-23-2024, 10:18 AM

10,091 posts, read 6,424,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I use Uber/Lyft, they say it's not allowed... so what? I get a safe ride home.

I used to use as the opening line on my online dating profile: "I'm looking for a lifetime partner... but will settle for a ride from my colonoscopy too at this point."
I love it!

Old 02-23-2024, 10:47 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,228,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I’ve always joined NextDoor in every place we’ve lived and always found the best people for any services I’ve needed.I’ve seen posts asking for rides to and from a procedure involving sedation and sure enough, there’s two or three stepping up to help.
had no idea about this. I may use this in the future thanks

Old 02-23-2024, 10:53 AM
JRR

8,163 posts, read 5,654,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I’ve always joined NextDoor in every place we’ve lived and always found the best people for any services I’ve needed.I’ve seen posts asking for rides to and from a procedure involving sedation and sure enough, there’s two or three stepping up to help.
I've seen people get medical rides around here through Nextdoor. Someone was even able to arrange a ride to Nashville for a medical appointment.

Old 02-23-2024, 11:50 AM

1,852 posts, read 877,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
And I quote: "IF YOU don't even have anyone to ask TO GIVE YOU a ride to a medical procedure, WHY WOULD YOU want to extend YOUR LIFE to the point where YOU'D really need care?"

For someone who claims to just be giving her opinion about her own life, there are an inordinate number of "you's" in that sentence questioning what another person should or shouldn't do with their life.

The scary thing about that one sentence is that a person could read it and think they might as well end their life since they're such a sad sack that they don't even have any friends or family. It's a terrible, terrible thing to say to someone, especially a perfect stranger.

Old 02-23-2024, 12:16 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
This may be selfish, but it just occurred to me that offering rides might be a good way for me to meet people. I am an introverted elder orphan who is slowly going feral due to lack of socialization. I know I need to get out and mingle but I always put it off till later. I've gotten too comfortable in my nest.

So, my point is if we volunteer, we might make some friends. Look at it like dating. If they get on your nerves you don't have to see them again. Most of us introverts do better one on one.
You could be describing me. I'm normally pretty content in my solitary skin, but I've lost several long term friends recently and now feeling some disconnect/stagnancy. This exact thing just happened to me. I needed a ride and lucked out by getting one from the spouse of the doctor's NP; someone I didn't know from Adam. Turns out they just happen to live a short distance from me, they're in my age group (on the cusp of/recently retired), and relatively new to the area. During the drive we discovered we had multiple things in common. Dog lovers (they have a breed I really like), nature lovers, conservation interests, were attracted to the area for similar reasons, etc. The conversation didn't lag. The three of us are meeting for lunch a couple of weeks from now. Looking forward to a pleasant meal but I don't have expectations...we'll either click socially or we won't. No harm, no foul.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-23-2024 at 01:18 PM..

Old 02-23-2024, 12:53 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
This is MY opinion for MY life; I'm not telling anyone else to "just give up and die." And I've gotten quite a few reps on that comment, so I'm obviously not the only one who feels that way! Maybe just the only one willing to say it?
I'm not interested in going back and forth with you about this, otter, but using the pronoun I instead of you would have made it clear that the opinion you were expressing was relevant to your particular life only.

Being the only one "willing to say" something like this is a weak justification. So are reps on an anonymous forum, although I did rack up quite a few myself for the comment you're responding to

OP, if you haven't yet found a ride, your Local Area Agency on Aging can direct you to resources in your area.

Old 02-23-2024, 12:57 PM

3,075 posts, read 1,542,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Except that's exactly what you wrote.

And I quote: "IF YOU don't even have anyone to ask TO GIVE YOU a ride to a medical procedure, WHY WOULD YOU want to extend YOUR LIFE to the point where YOU'D really need care?"

For someone who claims to just be giving her opinion about her own life, there are an inordinate number of "you's" in that sentence questioning what another person should or shouldn't do with their life.
oh nonsense. He/she lives her life the way she/he wants. Others are free to do the same. If YOU want to have all kinds of tests and procedures thats YOUR business . others may perceive life and modern medicine differently!

Old 02-23-2024, 12:59 PM

206 posts, read 134,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
The scary thing about that one sentence is that a person could read it and think they might as well end their life since they're such a sad sack that they don't even have any friends or family. It's a terrible, terrible thing to say to someone, especially a perfect stranger.
SOP for poster, get used to it. Fortunately for all, he has been on a very nice long break. Maybe came out for Ground Hog Day

For OP / anyone (senior) needing rides

Check with county senior services, some area churches provide volunteer drivers (Catholic Community Services in our area, we've done volunteer driving since 1981)

Another area we frequent, the senior center convinced a group of retirees to start a non-profit ride service. Been going well for 8 yrs now.

There are plenty in your neighborhood who care about you and your needs. Just need to engage in the right contacts.

Old 02-23-2024, 01:07 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,933,464 times
Medical Transport
Make reservations in advance, guesstimate for time of trip home. They can accommodate wheelchairs and other mobility aids too. Might even be covered by Medical Insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement