Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2018, 12:56 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Although, most people who talk about a "4 season" climate, are talking about a place that gets a significant winter. I mean, near Atlanta where I grew up, we got more or less 4 distinct seasons, deciduous trees leafing out in spring, with leaves in summer, falling leaves in fall, and bare trees in winter. But not many people are talking about Atlanta when they say "4 season" - they mean a winter with SNOW.

And, yeah, agreeing with mlb - why would anyone *want* to live in the upper Midwest, with that bone chilling, snowy winter? I spent a couple winters in Iowa, and you can't pay me enough to make me consider living there again.

People live particularly in the Northeast for jobs that they can only get there. Once you are retired, if you are truly retired, you don't have a job. So you can live anywhere you want.

Why one would want to have that rough winter beats me.

If you like to ski - fine - what about Idaho, Colorado, etc.? Better quality of snow, and a dryer climate with a better summer. I have lived in both states and they are head and shoulders better than the Midwest, at least to me.
But you can have a winter with some snow and not be snowed in. There are places that do get 6"-12" of snow all winter spread out over several months not one weekend. They are not extreme. They still have beautiful cool falls with vibrant fall colors on trees. They have lovely spring weather with flowers and greenery and some rain.
It's not all or nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 01:15 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
... People live particularly in the Northeast for jobs that they can only get there. Once you are retired, if you are truly retired, you don't have a job. So you can live anywhere you want.

Why one would want to have that rough winter beats me.
Part of the NorthEast is in the snow-belt region where they may get multiple feet of snow in a single night.

Other parts of the NorthEast are not in the snow-belt region.

If all of the NorthEast were in the snow-belt then we would not have the highest percentage of retirees. Retirees would not be migrating here.

Enough retirees enjoy a bit of snow, that it keeps things moving.

Old 07-10-2018, 01:24 PM

1,304 posts, read 855,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
But you can have a winter with some snow and not be snowed in. There are places that do get 6"-12" of snow all winter spread out over several months not one weekend. They are not extreme. They still have beautiful cool falls with vibrant fall colors on trees. They have lovely spring weather with flowers and greenery and some rain.
It's not all or nothing.
Please name this place.

Old 07-10-2018, 01:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Please name this place.
covington wa ? (should be pretty close... with a HEAVY emphasis on RAIN, GREENERY (moss, ferns, algae, Slugs, Firs...)

I usually head 2 hrs east to see more 'color'

Probably Wenachee / Cashmere would work for low snow and mild 4 seasons (with some Green and some rain (Except in Aug / Sept))

Northern CO worked for my first 30 yrs, (Snowed in about 2x / yr, but also 70F in January on occasion (doesn't happen in PNW). Rode my bike everyday but 3 the last yr in NoCO. 30 yrs in PNW, I have ridden my bike (to work) 3x.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:00 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,607,512 times
Quote:
Please name this place.
I would hazard a guess of some high desert towns in the Southwest would fit the bill, perhaps western NC.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:06 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Please name this place.
Kennebunkport Maine,
Cape Elizabeth,
Popham beach,
Boothbay Harbor Maine,
Rockland Maine,
Belfast Maine,
Bar Harbor Maine,
Jonesport Maine,
Cutler Maine,
Lubec Maine.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Please name this place.
Most of Kentucky fits this quite well. Lexington averages 10 inches of snow per year.

Louisville averages 9 inches of snow

Bowling Green averages 6 inches of snow

Paducah on the western edge of the state averages 6 inches of snow

If you like a little more snow, the NE side of KY gets a little more. Maysville averages 16 inches of snow.
The U.S. average is 26 inches per year so it's still well below average and nothing like the upper Midwest.

Fall in KY

Last edited by marino760; 07-10-2018 at 02:32 PM..

Old 07-10-2018, 03:02 PM
JRR

8,164 posts, read 5,657,641 times
It's not all or nothing.

Quote:
Please name this place.
Where I am sitting right now. We get an actual mild winter; about 8 inches of snow total and really cold snaps are brief. Spring is wonderful with the constant parade of flowers and trees blooming. Summer can be pretty warm, but about 90 days or so and it is gone. And autumn is great; cool nights and the fall colors. There is a back road up on the plateau near us that rivals anything we have ever seen on the Blue Ridge Parkway during the fall.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:05 PM

1,304 posts, read 855,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Kennebunkport Maine,
Cape Elizabeth,
Popham beach,
Boothbay Harbor Maine,
Rockland Maine,
Belfast Maine,
Bar Harbor Maine,
Jonesport Maine,
Cutler Maine,
Lubec Maine.
I love Maine and would go in a minute...unfortunately my SO does not agree....sigh

Old 07-10-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
It's not all or nothing.

Where I am sitting right now. We get an actual mild winter; about 8 inches of snow total and really cold snaps are brief. Spring is wonderful with the constant parade of flowers and trees blooming. Summer can be pretty warm, but about 90 days or so and it is gone. And autumn is great; cool nights and the fall colors. There is a back road up on the plateau near us that rivals anything we have ever seen on the Blue Ridge Parkway during the fall.
I was born in Conn and lived there until I was 11 so I know what a real fall looks like. Fall in KY and parts of TN is quite beautiful and almost rivals New England without the huge amount of snow and constant below freezing temps. You get 4 real seasons almost evenly spaced apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement