Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 03:51 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Santa Fe, NM
Spokane, WA (mainly for the low housing cost)

Santa Fe, NM is interesting... We visited - and ruled it out because I want to live closer to family... plus it lacks green vegetation and is pretty dry and dusty - but if you want mountains and 4 seasons and snow - it's pretty OK. NM is not a rich state by any means, tho. Services for elderly are slim.

I know many people who have made their way to Spokane. I visited it in my late 20's and was intrigued. Great basketball town there (John Stockton and family are from there - home of Gonzaga University).... Back in the 80's it really was a lovely little town. I am certain it's grown. I don't know about the weather tho - I'm certain they probably have snow - but intermountain west snow is not like that of the Midwest.

Spokane usually does get a pretty good snow season, sometimes enough to interfere with driving a car, at least until they plow it. At the same time, the city government knows they will have snow every year and are ready for it, mostly.

Yeah, it's that dry, fluffy, Western snow, not that damn concrete-like mess they get in the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 04:36 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,190,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Spokane usually does get a pretty good snow season, sometimes enough to interfere with driving a car, at least until they plow it. At the same time, the city government knows they will have snow every year and are ready for it, mostly.

Yeah, it's that dry, fluffy, Western snow, not that damn concrete-like mess they get in the Midwest.
Your syllogistic logic is duly noted. I have lived coast to coast and in Colorado, now in the upper midwest. One snow is not ALL snow. I have seen concrete in Colorado in April, concrete (a LOT) in the Sierras in CA. Lots in the Olympic Peninsula, WA, too. We got ice rain in Maine and Missouri. We got powder mostly in CO, but we also get powder here in upper Mich when the temp is <-5. Some winters here we have to run the humidifier all the time to prevent everything from drying out because the water vapor content is so low. I really worry about my guitars drying out in those seasons. Every winter season is different, and some snows here were so miserly that we couldn't even cross-country or snow shoe without hitting rocks. Hopefully where we are moving it will have more consistently deep snow so we can plan on more successful outings in the winters.

To answer the OPs original question about how people retire to 4-season states is not easy. Every state is different and has its own environmental signature and challenges, and with the right mindset, each can be a joy.

Edit: Here is the best way to enjoy whine and snow...http://www.blackstarfarms.com/snowshoes-vines-wines/

Last edited by MichiganGreg; 07-20-2018 at 05:44 AM.. Reason: an added joy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement