Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 05:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times

Advertisements

you can do 4 season states that have moderate weather and you can live in mild region and drive a couple hours to experience different climate zones (or less in my case; beach to snow skiing; dry to wet all within 1.5 hrs... sand dunes are a bit further) The colors were spectacular in PNW this yr.

Here is an option for MN (No snow to shovel!, indoor parking) Senior cooperative ownership. Senior Cooperative Foundation Of 90 centers in the USA, 80 are in MN, WI or IA, The one Co-op senior center in the PNW has a 10 yr wait list. I'm gonna try to make it back to MSP for annual conference in May, as I might want to build some of these. They are very popular in Europe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 05:33 PM

653 posts, read 1,919,090 times
I would never have thought that many senior person would want to live in the area very cold like MN,WI or IA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
you can do 4 season states that have moderate weather and you can live in mild region and drive a couple hours to experience different climate zones (or less in my case; beach to snow skiing; dry to wet all within 1.5 hrs... sand dunes are a bit further) The colors were spectacular in PNW this yr.

Here is an option for MN (No snow to shovel!, indoor parking) Senior cooperative ownership. Senior Cooperative Foundation Of 90 centers in the USA, 80 are in MN, WI or IA, The one Co-op senior center in the PNW has a 10 yr wait list. I'm gonna try to make it back to MSP for annual conference in May, as I might want to build some of these. They are very popular in Europe

Old 02-25-2009, 05:55 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonelsewhere View Post
I would never have thought that many senior person would want to live in the area very cold like MN,WI or IA.
Most people, by far,retire in place; that is where they worked and lived most of their lives; they do not relocate. So, consequently, there are many seniors who retire in colder areas of the country.

The weather is not the only factor in retirement. The issues of family and the known comforts of the place you know, are very important. Not everyone desires warm weather climate. Many people love these areas where there are four seasons with exciting climates.

I grew up in Western New York, near Buffalo. Yes, all my family has relocated west to Colorado but it was not because of the reason of the winter climate in Buffalo. It was for me and my siblings that the Buffalo area was in economic and social collapse; there were few jobs and few opportunities. That was over thirty years ago and it is worse today. My parents followed because family was more important to them then the sense of place.

Western New York and many areas of the North are wonderful areas to live. It is even better when you retire because, there is no concern about employment. In addition, many of these areas are good economical places to live and have a good quality of life. Some people move to warmer areas because they have problems with arthritis in colder areas. That is one reason, for me, while I could not return to the north. Some people have dreams of warm seasons and are disappointed and return north. It is not always about the cold.

Livecontent

Old 02-26-2009, 12:54 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oconnorcm3 View Post
So, my question is, for those of you who have retired to a 4 season state, how is it?
My least favorite season is summer. I chose a 4 season state on purpose although I wish the summer was shorter. I miss colder Septembers and Mays.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:30 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
My least favorite season is summer. I chose a 4 season state on purpose although I wish the summer was shorter. I miss colder Septembers and Mays.

Let me know where I can just have Fall and spring ! (That would suit me)
besides the unique 'smell' of each, the varied weather is fun. Fall is my favorite, but in my region it can be cut short with an early arrival of heavy rains. Usually during 'election week'. I miss the prolonged smell of autumn that can last till thanksgiving. (We're pretty soggy by then). I fondly remember Thanksgiving Day walks in MN & NE, with crunchy leaves and the crisp smell. (But occasionally snow too)

LauraC, Do you escape TN in Aug, or retreat to staying near an AirConditioner? I have never had a car with AC, and haven't grown accustomed to sleeping with AC, tho it was mandatory while living in Asia.

(USA homes have generally been Colo, Wyo, Washington state - all cool sleeping spots on summer nights (~50F) in the regions I stay.

The heater fan in my car conked out which is ok during most of our winter, but... as I look outside it is snowing for the umpteenth time (usually only 2-3x per year... this winter 2-3 times / week). It will be nice and quiet when I wake up in the morning, I cherish that benefit of snow

4 seasons for me, with a dash of winter and warm August evenings for concerts in the park and homemade Ice Cream. But don't take away my Harvest Moon

Old 02-26-2009, 04:53 AM

114 posts, read 535,481 times
The AC in our car conked out but we live in Ireland so, who cares!! Now, my AC would have really mattered to me if it had conked out while we were living in Portugal. Whew! My adult daughter and I were recently discussing weather and have both decided that 4 seasons is important. We lived 3 years in The Netherlands and have been in Ireland for 3 years and, well, we miss hot weather, even for a month of two. We did have snow this winter in Dublin. Really lovely. Especially looking up to the Wicklow hills.

I looked at the Senior living that Janb posted (thank you, janb) but, well, we're not that old. We're 'only' in our mid 50's so living in a retirement community just doesn't sound right. Plus, we'll have our disabled son living with us so it would be tough to fit in with the older crowd.

Thank you to everyone. I'm not nearly as frightened of the cold as I was before. If you can do it, so can I!

Old 02-26-2009, 05:39 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,167,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oconnorcm3 View Post
My husband brought home two retirement books, to help narrow down our choices. He told me to read both books, cover to cover, before talking to him. Because of our disabled son's needs, we should retire to a state with good special education and good adult special services. Minnesota, my home state, is one of the best states for education and special needs. But, you know what? Minnesota (and Wisconsin, North and South Dakota, Iowa) isn't even mentioned in one of the retirement books! As in, "Why would someone consider retiring to one of those states???"

So, my question is, for those of you who have retired to a 4 season state, how is it? Do you visit the relatives in Florida every winter? Do you creak and groan and wish for warmth? Or do you just get on and learn to live with it? What types of things do you do in the winter to keep you busy? We've lived many places over the years and love 4 seasons, but I'm very happy when winter is the shortest season. That can't be said for Minnesota.

Please help. How will I learn to live with the cold, again?
It's interesting that you mentioned some of the states that are known for cold like the Dakotas and Minnesota. I'm in my 50s and hope to retire in 5 to 10 years. I've bought vacant acreage in North Dakota last year and planning on building a house or modular home and moving there from the Chicago area. I will telecommute to my job from there for my last few years of employment and eventually retire in North Dakota. The nearest 'city' is several hundred miles away and I'm happy with that. I don't need nor desire access to city amenities that are so often mentioned in postings here on city-data.

Yes, most people would never consider North Dakota a place to retire to, but I'm not the typical person and I don't follow conventional wisdom. But, I also prefer cold climates and cold weather. Living in places known for extreme heat and/or humidity like Arizona, Southern Nevada, parts of Texas, California and Florida are non-starters for me. Give me 50 below wind chills and blizzards to a steady diet of heat and humidity anyday.

Also, places like the Dakotas can have a much lower cost of living, almost non-existent crime, low population density, no traffic jams and friendlier people. But to desire to move to cold climates with occassional extreme winter conditions for retirement takes a different kind of individual. It seems that in our society you are 'expected' to want to move to the south. I should stop by the library and look through some books on retirement places, just for the fun of it. I'm sure that I'll get a few chuckles out of it.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:50 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,133,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I relocated from semi-tropical Miami Florida to the PNW . When most people retire from living in the frozen tundra and move to Florida, I did it backwards

I miss the palm trees, I miss the balmy ocean breezes, I miss sailing in the Keys, I miss the warm winters and I'm not getting any younger Yes, the frozen mornings do impact my activities because I don't want to drive on black ice or snowy conditions. I'm getting tired to having to bundle-up with 3 layers of clothing, including long-johns - and that's INDOORS

So, consider your options very carefully
did the same--am in dreary,cold nepa---all my arthritic joints now hate me,plus,i have now discovered YOU CAN'T GO HOME AGAIN(especially if the area hasn't changed and you have)

Old 02-26-2009, 11:35 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post

Let me know where I can just have Fall and spring ! (That would suit me)
besides the unique 'smell' of each, the varied weather is fun. Fall is my favorite, but in my region it can be cut short with an early arrival of heavy rains. Usually during 'election week'. I miss the prolonged smell of autumn that can last till thanksgiving. (We're pretty soggy by then). I fondly remember Thanksgiving Day walks in MN & NE, with crunchy leaves and the crisp smell. (But occasionally snow too)

LauraC, Do you escape TN in Aug, or retreat to staying near an AirConditioner? I have never had a car with AC, and haven't grown accustomed to sleeping with AC, tho it was mandatory while living in Asia.

(USA homes have generally been Colo, Wyo, Washington state - all cool sleeping spots on summer nights (~50F) in the regions I stay.

The heater fan in my car conked out which is ok during most of our winter, but... as I look outside it is snowing for the umpteenth time (usually only 2-3x per year... this winter 2-3 times / week). It will be nice and quiet when I wake up in the morning, I cherish that benefit of snow

4 seasons for me, with a dash of winter and warm August evenings for concerts in the park and homemade Ice Cream. But don't take away my Harvest Moon
You know, the issue isn't so much that I have lived in Maryland and NY before Tennessee. The issue is retirement and being outside in the daytime, something I didn't do when I was in the workforce. I could stand the summers in NY and MD because I wasn't outside in the summer as much when I was working. I didn't usually take summer vacations because I hated summer heat. I'm sure I would hate summer just as much if I was living in those other states as a retiree. Except, on Long Island, there is definitely a cold snap when the kids go back to school around Labor Day and all of May, and the beginning of June, is comfortable on LI. Here in Tennessee, the relief from the heat doesn't come until the end of October when the temp finally drops out of the 80s. June is almost as bad as July. On the other hand, the winters are great. I look for more indoor things to do in summer.

So, if people are considering a 4 season state you still need to think about how long some of those seasons are compared to what you are used to and consider as a retiree, you are outdoors more during the time of day when temps are at their peak.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:44 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,424,686 times
Hi, can you hear me I'm way up here in Wa. state..and love it..yes we have our 4 seasons. I must say the snow was a little much this winter, I understand it's one of the worse the inland NW has had in 50 years, just about 5 feet.., that's not normal, OMG I've been told it may snow 2 feet all winter long..that I can deal with . We purchased a 4 wheel drive for winter use, the summers are great, mid to high 80's and plenty of recreational activitites , boating, camping, amusement parks and so on. We love the change of leaves on the trees in the fall.....

Good luck on your decision of your retirement state...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement