Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 10:14 AM

986 posts, read 2,336,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
B.S.

NOT before border state students (CT, MA, etc.) can get the same deal ! AMERICANS FIRST.

This country is sick and tired of people who believe we owe them a living! We owe them squat.

The Dream Act died in December 2010. Bury it.

Your comments: Readers react to another push by advocates to allow illegal immigrants to pay in-state tuition rates | masslive.com
Do those border state students pay any taxes in RI? I'm sure the illegals do in some way or another. The reason in-state tuition exists is because people in state pay taxes in that state. I don't pay taxes in CT (anymore) and I don't deserve in-state tuition at UConn because I am not supporting the college through taxes. I do support URI through my taxes.

And if their status makes them eligible for citizenship, then they will be Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 10:23 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,576,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
Do those border state students pay any taxes in RI? I'm sure the illegals do in some way or another. The reason in-state tuition exists is because people in state pay taxes in that state. I don't pay taxes in CT (anymore) and I don't deserve in-state tuition at UConn because I am not supporting the college through taxes. I do support URI through my taxes.

And if their status makes them eligible for citizenship, then they will be Americans.

The border state students and their parents pay RI taxes in many ways! Not to mention, many of them were RI residents and have American family in RI.

Your story makes no sense. The Dream Act died because it was wrong.
I lived in RI for 60 years ... and so does my family ! We have paid more than our share LEGALLY.

Illegals committed a crime.

Deserving American students did not. Huge difference.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 02-14-2011 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: added

Old 02-14-2011, 02:08 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,759,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnene2k View Post
They also would have to file to legalize their immigration status or agree to file as soon as they are eligible.

________snip_________

Aren't all of you illegals as well? Please read your history on how the Jewish, French, Irish, etc etc all made it to America...It wasn't that long ago...They were all met with anti illegal rhetoric in their time as well but made it and prospered into a key part, shaping what America is today...
No, we are definitely NOT illegal. I don't need to read history because I KNOW that most people's ancestors came here LEGALLY. They were required to have a SPONSOR here in the US and that is still a requirement today.

Go and read about the requirements for LEGAL IMMIGRATION and you'll see. A sponsor who will be financially responsible for you, a background check, a medical check including vaccinations, birth certificates of both parents, long applications filled out in triplicate--and finally, a personal interview.

You don't just sneak into the country. That's against the law unless you don't even care about the law.

My grandfather had a sponsor and a job waiting for him. In a year he had earned enough to send for his wife and kids. They worked and THEIR children were able to go to college in part, by working their ways through.

This is so UNfair to people today who are still coming here the LAWFUL way and unfair to everyone whose ancestors came here the LAWFUL way. NO, we did not come here ILLEGALLY.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:13 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,759,033 times
Do those border state students pay any taxes in RI? I'm sure the illegals do in some way or another.

If the illegals are paying taxes by working, they are doing so ILLEGALLY because they don't even have a green card which is required to work.

Since they didn't come here legally and chose to break the law by sneaking in, they are not eligible to pay for and apply for a green card. So they are working illegally.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Do those border state students pay any taxes in RI? I'm sure the illegals do in some way or another.

If the illegals are paying taxes by working, they are doing so ILLEGALLY because they don't even have a green card which is required to work.

Since they didn't come here legally and chose to break the law by sneaking in, they are not eligible to pay for and apply for a green card. So they are working illegally.

And their employers are breaking the law also!

Old 02-14-2011, 07:07 PM

986 posts, read 2,336,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Probably not by working, but likely through sales and property tax.

Quote:

The border state students and their parents pay RI taxes in many ways! Not to mention, many of them were RI residents and have American family in RI.

Your story makes no sense. The Dream Act died because it was wrong.
I lived in RI for 60 years ... and so does my family ! We have paid more than our share LEGALLY.

Illegals committed a crime.

Deserving American students did not. Huge difference.
Trust me on this one... people don't cross our borders to buy stuff. They aren't paying property taxes here. They aren't paying sales tax (why pay 7% sales tax when you can pay 6% in the other states).

Now here's a question for you... how about children of illegal immigrants who are themselves American citizens?

Old 02-14-2011, 10:08 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,060,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
Probably not by working, but likely through sales and property tax.

Trust me on this one... people don't cross our borders to buy stuff. They aren't paying property taxes here. They aren't paying sales tax (why pay 7% sales tax when you can pay 6% in the other states).

Now here's a question for you... how about children of illegal immigrants who are themselves American citizens?
Even if they did pay sales tax to this state, they still wouldn't receive the benfits one gets for living here. Connecticut residents do come to Rhode Island for gas and clothing. Even though Ct. sales tax is 6% it covers more items than Rhode Island's 7% tax. Out of state residents that pay sales tax here can't receive Rhode Ilsand medicaid, so why should anyone who is not a resident here get our benefits.

Rhode Island allows out of state residents, up to 35 miles from each school of higher learning, in state tuition. It use to be 50 miles but was changed in the last 10 years. I don't know if the bordering states reciprocate.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:40 AM

2,040 posts, read 4,002,074 times
Quote:
So let me get this straight:

You are criticizing Rhode Island for proposing something your supposedly fantastic state has already done. But because your state is proposing something to do away with the current program....you're somehow superior and we're wackos.

(FOr the record, I do not agree with the proposal here, but it does not in any way make sense of your argument.)

Old 02-15-2011, 09:44 AM

The entire country opposed and voted down the Dream Act. Now certain legislative reps are trying to revive it, state by state.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:51 AM

2,040 posts, read 4,002,074 times
Quote:
If U.S. citizens from "out of state" cannot get "in state" tuition, why in the world would ILLEGAL immigrants be special. There are plenty of brilliant deserving students right over the RI borders that need some of the programs URI has, but cannot afford URI's tuition of $39,000 or UCONN etc. etc.! These are Americans who would love to be able to go out of state for in state tuition.

Give THEM a break.
OK, on that I actually agree with you! There's a first time for everything I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island