Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 11:51 PM

50 posts, read 98,585 times

Advertisements

Cowesett (bordering East Greenwich) is the nicest part of the city, hands down. If you have kids, it also has the best schools. (Cedar Hill/Toll Gate)

Specifically - look between Cowesett Rd. and Division St for a house. Along Love Lane is your best bet.

If you are not dead-set on Cowesett, however, I would look "across the border" in EG... the schools there are even better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 06:55 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,670,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTwila View Post
Warwick from my research on this forum and elsewhere appears truly to be a mixed bag. The reason I ask about it is because of the comparatively “low priced” housing, proximity to the beach and Boston.

The bottom line, I am looking to move family from Long Island’s North Shore to either: Rhode, Southern Massachusetts, Southern Maine or Southern Vermont. Sorry but the “deep South” is out of the running.

The reason for the move is to provide my family with an affordable, safe and stable place to live. It is important for them to be in a village/town or city. We are not rural people. Personally speaking, I have lived in various “inner cities” in such places as Albany in New York State. I’ll likely be far more adaptable and flexible than my family from Long Island.

My concerns for them are as follows:

Excessive numbers of rentals and section 8 rentals

Drug dealing/meth labs/petty property crime

The scourge of uneducated troublesome trash (I mean culturally and not monetarily. There is plenty of trash living in overpriced houses throughout the country)

Boredom (If bedtime is 8pm I think this could be a problem)

Total lack of economic opportunity (We’re all self-employed people. I am cognizant of the fact our country is still marred with financial difficulty)

Any advice or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Specifically, what are the “no-go” and the “good areas” in Warwick? And in Rhode Island in general? Thank you very much.
Here goes: If you think that somehow you'll find Roslyn, Glen Head, Great Neck (or even Huntington), etc. in Warwick ... think again. There are a fair number of Section 8 rentals, mostly in places like Apponaug, Nausauket, Norwood, Oakland Beach and Conimicut. But, that really doesn't excessively affect the overall character of the place, nor does drug dealing, etc.

You have, however, hit upon those things that made me run screaming from the place when I was a kid, aka, crushing boredom, the likes of which you'd have to go to Patchogue, Sayville, etc. to find. And, above all, incredibly ill-educated, untraveled and parochial people pervade the place (sorry if it sounds like snobbery, but it is very much true of Warwick).

I don't think you'd find Warwick to be any less advantaged, from a job standpoint, from the rest of the state (which is already at the bottom of the barrel).

Also, given the population density already mentioned, and the fact that the city was developed around an airport, the traffic can be crushing.

On the plus side, the access to Narragansett Bay is truly a gift, provided you could find a house in a choice neighborhood like Warwick Neck or Buttonwoods. But, the positives are outweighed by the negatives in my view. As already mentioned, any place in South County would be an improvement and the weather would be very similar to Long Island. You couldn't pay me to live in Southern Maine - too cold most of the year. But, there are many people who like it. And, as you probably already know, Vermont puts the "b" in boring, unless you like skiing. Southeastern Mass is beautiful and is a lot like South County RI. Hope this helps.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:39 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Agreed that there are much better places in RI than Warwick, many of which are discussed in previous threads in this forum.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:36 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,698,379 times
Warwick directly on the water is mostly very nice up and down the bay. Unfortunately, go even across the street in some parts and things can go down hill shockingly fast.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:35 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Agreed that there are much better places in RI than Warwick, many of which are discussed in previous threads in this forum.
And much worse too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island