Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 01:25 PM

508 posts, read 889,217 times

Advertisements

Warwick from my research on this forum and elsewhere appears truly to be a mixed bag. The reason I ask about it is because of the comparatively “low priced” housing, proximity to the beach and Boston.

The bottom line, I am looking to move family from Long Island’s North Shore to either: Rhode, Southern Massachusetts, Southern Maine or Southern Vermont. Sorry but the “deep South” is out of the running.

The reason for the move is to provide my family with an affordable, safe and stable place to live. It is important for them to be in a village/town or city. We are not rural people. Personally speaking, I have lived in various “inner cities” in such places as Albany in New York State. I’ll likely be far more adaptable and flexible than my family from Long Island.

My concerns for them are as follows:

Excessive numbers of rentals and section 8 rentals

Drug dealing/meth labs/petty property crime

The scourge of uneducated troublesome trash (I mean culturally and not monetarily. There is plenty of trash living in overpriced houses throughout the country)

Boredom (If bedtime is 8pm I think this could be a problem)

Total lack of economic opportunity (We’re all self-employed people. I am cognizant of the fact our country is still marred with financial difficulty)

Any advice or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Specifically, what are the “no-go” and the “good areas” in Warwick? And in Rhode Island in general? Thank you very much.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-04-2012 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: keep race out of it, please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 01:54 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTwila View Post
Warwick from my research on this forum and elsewhere appears truly to be a mixed bag. The reason I ask about it is because of the comparatively “low priced” housing, proximity to the beach and Boston.

The bottom line, I am looking to move family from Long Island’s North Shore to either: Rhode, Southern Massachusetts, Southern Maine or Southern Vermont. Sorry but the “deep South” is out of the running.

The reason for the move is to provide my family with an affordable, safe and stable place to live. It is important for them to be in a village/town or city. We are not rural people. Personally speaking, I have lived in various “inner cities” in such places as Albany in New York State. I’ll likely be far more adaptable and flexible than my family from Long Island.

My concerns for them are as follows:

Excessive numbers of rentals and section 8 rentals

Drug dealing/meth labs/petty property crime

The scourge of uneducated troublesome trash (I mean culturally and not monetarily. There is plenty of trash living in overpriced houses throughout the country)

Boredom (If bedtime is 8pm I think this could be a problem)

Total lack of economic opportunity (We’re all self-employed people. I am cognizant of the fact our country is still marred with financial difficulty)

Any advice or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Specifically, what are the “no-go” and the “good areas” in Warwick? And in Rhode Island in general? Thank you very much.

Why Warwick? the nice beaches are in the South County area. Narragansett, Charlestown, Westerly, etc. Warwick is pretty far up "the bay" near the city of Providence, which is very industrialized. Warwick itself is a mixed bag; yes. The ony area of Warwick where you may find the type of neighborhood you describe would be Warwick Neck possibly. Warwick has high population density and everything that goes along with it.

Southern Maine, Southern Vermont are lovely. Maine, along the coast, Portland, Bar Harbor etc. Southeastern Mass. you have Cape Cod and the shoreline north and south of Boston. Beautiful towns.

It all depends on your price range, and your vision of economic opportunity. The northeast is very high in cost of living, as is Long Island, may not be a contest there. Why aren't you looking near the shoreline in CT?

I would suggest www.Realtor.com and for RI, check out www.riliving.com which is the RI MLS. But... from your shopping list, Warwick is not your cup of tea.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-04-2012 at 07:49 PM..

Old 07-10-2011, 04:57 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,588,101 times
there are no "bad" areas of Warwick. It certainly fits the bill of all you described,
but so do other places in RI. You have to see what you like.
I don't think you'll all be happy with Vermont or Maine.
Yet if being close to Boston is important to you, then just look in Mass.
On the other hand, know that there is a brand new commuter rail from Warwick to Boston
that can get you there in no time.
http://www.bing.com/search?q=warwick...2-18&form=QBLH
we need more to go on. Plan on putting a month aside just to absorb all
the options you have by coming up here.

Last edited by Snowball7; 07-10-2011 at 05:14 PM..

Old 07-10-2011, 05:31 PM

583 posts, read 1,324,325 times
Ehhh, Warwick doesn't 'fit the bill' in terms of most of those things

Old 07-10-2011, 10:13 PM

102 posts, read 393,250 times
I think Warwick might fit the bill for your family. It is a highly decentralized city. There are a number of fine residential neighborhoods (Governor Francis, Cowesett, Buttonwoods, Gaspee Plateau). There are a few small, kind of run down neighborhoods in Oakland Beach, Conimicut and Nausauket. Warwick Neck has a substantial wealthy area covering the southern half of the neck, while the northerly portion is mostly middle class and lower middle class.

I know of no organized crime and little violent crime and no gangs in Warwick. Its a friendly community. The housing stock in Warwick is large, and diverse in age and quality. Housing prices tend to be somewhat cheaper per square foot because of the T. F. Green State Airport located smack in the center of the city.

The residents are predominantly white. There is little ethnic diversity.

The schools are funded slightly better than average for the state. There is almost no heavy industry here, and most is located in small industrial parks. Big box shopping is abundant. And the big city of Providence is only twenty to thirty minutes north.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:13 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,054,477 times
Potowomet is the area for you. It is separated from the rest of Warwick by the town of East Greenwich, which is an upscale suburb of Providence. East Greenwich has a main street with restaurants, shops, etc. This area is a good 10 plus miles from Providence with access to I-95. Commuter rail to Providence and Boston starts within the next year. Potowomet has a private country club, public golf course and a private school within it's boundaries. There are bay beaches nearby, but the best beaches are the ocean facing beaches in South County.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:02 AM

508 posts, read 889,217 times
Thank you very much for the replies. The Gaspee neighborhood is considered decent? Overall, is it safe to say living in Warwick is better than the "average" neighborhood in Providence?

Straight up, how does Warwick Rhode Island compare to Rutland Vermont? I'm assuming this is an apples v. oranges type question.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:50 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTwila View Post
Thank you very much for the replies. The Gaspee neighborhood is considered decent? Overall, is it safe to say living in Warwick is better than the "average" neighborhood in Providence?

Straight up, how does Warwick Rhode Island compare to Rutland Vermont? I'm assuming this is an apples v. oranges type question.

More like watermelons and lemons.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:39 PM

583 posts, read 1,324,325 times
There aren't a lot of 'average' neighborhoods in Prov. They are in Warwick, and it is a bit less congested and more amenable than Providence, except for the East Side.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:12 PM

102 posts, read 393,250 times
I have half a dozen acquaintances who live in Gaspee Plateau and the adjacent Pawtuxet section of Warwick, and they, every one of them, love their neighborhoods. My opinion : Its a comfortable, friendly, safe neighborhood in which to live and raise a family. You would feel comfortable with your kids biking around, and yourself taking a long midnight stroll in this pleasant neighborhood.

The area is 99% residential, and predominantly single family. A drive between Fair St. and Narragansett Parkway will pretty much introduce you to the flavour of Gaspee. East of Gaspee is the upper Narragansett Bay, and there are two friendly, well used parks on the waterfront. Fair St and the Parkway are the major arterial connectors for the area, and most of the side streets are quiet.

Gas stations, groceries, restaurants, pharmacies, and all sorts of retail and service businesses line Warwick Avenue, a mile to the west. A 15 to 20 minute drive down Narragansett Boulevard (Cranston) gets you to downtown Providence and Providence's East Side.

Also, Warwick has around 80,000 population with a density of roughly 2,740 per sq, mi. compared to roughly 200,000 population in Providence and a density of 9,400 per sq.mi. Gaspee might compare to the Elmhurst section of Providence but Elmhurst is definately more urban. Warwick is about 97% white. Providence has a very diverse ethnicity. Median personal income in Providence was about $28,500. In Warwick the figure was about $45,900.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Hoxsie454; 08-09-2011 at 01:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island