Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 07:49 PM

769 posts, read 1,015,699 times

Advertisements

Forget Gansett. Even their collab beers (Allie's Donuts, Del's Shandy, Autocrat Stout) are very average.

Just remember you get what you pay for.

Grey Sail are the best brewers in RI, and their Captain's Daughter DIPA is a world class ale, on level with a Heady Topper or Lawson's Sip Of Sunshine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 08:15 AM

12,874 posts, read 22,050,536 times
Agreed RE: Gansett's quality, but not everyone wants to pay top dollar for a 6-pack every time they want a decent beer. Narragansett fills that niche. It's a good value considering quality vs. price. Grey Sail produces excellent brews. But they're not super cheap either. For me, Foolproof (especially their farmhouse) offers some of the best value around. But Narragansett's a better choice than faux-craft brands like Leinenkugel's, Blue Moon, Shock Top, etc. and it's at about the same price point. I am always disappointed by their collabs. I had Big Mamie for the first time last week (in Fall River, how appropriate) and it was awful. Aside from the Del's Lemon, it was the worst Gansett I've had yet. Autocrat disappointed but wasn't terrible and I've yet to try Allie's Donut Porter.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:46 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,150,559 times
I don't have any right to weigh in on this topic -- I don't like beer and don't drink it, and consequently I have literally zero ability to distinguish between good beers and bad ones; it all tastes the same to me -- but isn't there a certain market that likes bad beer precisely because it's bad? And isn't that sort of the market that Narragansett is going for? I'm thinking here of the resurgence in popularity in the past 15 years of brands like Pabst Blue Ribbon, which by all accounts I've heard is terrible but is so terrible that drinking it seems ironic and fun, or like it conveys a sense of working-class legitimacy.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:05 AM

3,822 posts, read 2,703,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Agreed RE: Gansett's quality, but not everyone wants to pay top dollar for a 6-pack every time they want a decent beer. Narragansett fills that niche. It's a good value considering quality vs. price. Grey Sail produces excellent brews. But they're not super cheap either. For me, Foolproof (especially their farmhouse) offers some of the best value around.
This is on the mark. Previously in this forum I've said that I am a fan of Grey Sail. I've come to like Foolproof too, though where I shop the Grey Sail is better priced. Grey Sail's major fault is that their style range is pretty limited, though they did offer a smoked porter as a seasonal which was a nice but temporary addition.

Gansett made an appearance in a puff piece in the projo today. CEO Hellendrung essentially made the same sort of statement as lrfox without reference to price sensitivity:

Quote:
Originally Posted by projo
"We are the choice of craft beer drinkers when they want to change up to something lighter on their palate," he said. "You can only drink so many IPAs."
I agree, though if price is eliminated from the equation, a Victory "Prima Pils" Pilsner is one of the best eastern US pilsners out there...

Brewery details are fuzzier with the projo piece than they were with the local beer blog

Quote:
The next major milestone for the company will be opening a brewery in Rhode Island to produce the beer. Most of it is now brewed at North American Breweries in Rochester, New York, with some smaller batches made at Buzzards Bay Brewing in Westport, Massachusetts.

When will that local brewery come to fruition?

"We are in the eighth inning, and we look forward to hitting it out of the park," he said, adding a guffaw.
I have a feeling this is going to extra innings.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I don't have any right to weigh in on this topic -- I don't like beer and don't drink it, and consequently I have literally zero ability to distinguish between good beers and bad ones; it all tastes the same to me -- but isn't there a certain market that likes bad beer precisely because it's bad? And isn't that sort of the market that Narragansett is going for? I'm thinking here of the resurgence in popularity in the past 15 years of brands like Pabst Blue Ribbon, which by all accounts I've heard is terrible but is so terrible that drinking it seems ironic and fun, or like it conveys a sense of working-class legitimacy.
Your post jogged my memory about this article. I remember returning to Portland way back when to find that PBR was everywhere the cool kids were. Before PBR the cheapo beer of choice was Rainier served at places like Dots... It was a backlash to high priced microbrews that had overtaken PDX. A couple of years later, the NY Times got wind of it. When Gansett was relaunched, the vibe was very much the same in PVD.

Last edited by ormari; 12-30-2015 at 10:10 AM..

Old 12-30-2015, 10:21 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,150,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Your post jogged my memory about this article. I remember returning to Portland way back when to find that PBR was everywhere the cool kids were. Before PBR the cheapo beer of choice was Rainier served at places like Dots... It was a backlash to high priced microbrews that had overtaken PDX. A couple of years later, the NY Times got wind of it. When Gansett was relaunched, the vibe was very much the same in PVD.
Great article -- as someone who's worked on the periphery of marketing for many years, I especially appreciated it.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:24 AM

12,874 posts, read 22,050,536 times
Quote:
This is on the mark. Previously in this forum I've said that I am a fan of Grey Sail. I've come to like Foolproof too, though where I shop the Grey Sail is better priced. Grey Sail's major fault is that their style range is pretty limited, though they did offer a smoked porter as a seasonal which was a nice but temporary addition.
If Grey Sail was priced better (or even similarly) where I shop, I'd buy it every time. I agree re: the range of brews. I'd love to try their smoked porter.

Quote:
Pawtucket is the home to the longest game in history, right?

Old 12-30-2015, 08:43 PM

4,420 posts, read 3,201,746 times
Quote:

Gansett made an appearance in a puff piece in the projo today. CEO Hellendrung essentially made the same sort of statement as lrfox without reference to price sensitivity:

I agree, though if price is eliminated from the equation, a Victory "Prima Pils" Pilsner is one of the best eastern US pilsners out there...

Brewery details are fuzzier with the projo piece than they were with the local beer blog

The next major milestone for the company will be opening a brewery in Rhode Island to produce the beer. Most of it is now brewed at North American Breweries in Rochester, New York, with some smaller batches made at Buzzards Bay Brewing in Westport, Massachusetts.

When will that local brewery come to fruition?

"We are in the eighth inning, and we look forward to hitting it out of the park," he said, adding a guffaw.

Hold on just a second here. I didn't know Narragansett brewed at Buzzards Bay as well as in Rochester. Hmmm

Connect the dots. Pretty Things Beer and Ale Project brewed out of Buzzard Bay and just shocked everyone by mysteriously ceasing production. Could it be that Narragansett has brokered a deal with Buzzards Bay to do all their brewing in Westport? Still not RI, but closer.... i'm not sure if that place is big enough for their operations though.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:51 PM

4,420 posts, read 3,201,746 times
Quote:
This is on the mark. Previously in this forum I've said that I am a fan of Grey Sail. I've come to like Foolproof too, though where I shop the Grey Sail is better priced. Grey Sail's major fault is that their style range is pretty limited, though they did offer a smoked porter as a seasonal which was a nice but temporary addition..
Just curious, did anyone try Grey Sail's Dark Star? Any good?

I've tried the imperial stout releases from every other RI brewery, wondering where this one ranked.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Hold on just a second here. I didn't know Narragansett brewed at Buzzards Bay as well as in Rochester. Hmmm

Connect the dots. Pretty Things Beer and Ale Project brewed out of Buzzard Bay and just shocked everyone by mysteriously ceasing production. Could it be that Narragansett has brokered a deal with Buzzards Bay to do all their brewing in Westport? Still not RI, but closer.... i'm not sure if that place is big enough for their operations though.
I don't think there is enough capacity in Buzzards Bay to brew the adjunct lager there. Sean Larkin has been brewing Gansett's craft offerings at Buzzards Bay for a long while now. Pretty things was pretty small, so I'd be surprised if the two days/week they occupied on the Buzzards Bay calendar would do much more than allow Gansett to produce a little more craft volume.

However, somewhere I remember reading that Gansett threw out the M word when talking possible sites. Could they look to scale up Buzzards Bay? Maybe. But in most press on the subject, including the recent projo piece, they only mention Rhode Island.

As to your other question in the other post, I haven't even seen Dark Star...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island