Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 09:07 AM

34 posts, read 196,994 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or are many Rhode Islanders on welfare?

I know many people who are cheating the government by claiming welfare and working three jobs at the same time making a good amount of money. Or claim disability when they are perfectly healthy and work two jobs.

It seems to me, many single mothers are being paid to get knocked up and have children in Rhode Island. A single mother on welfare gives birth in a hospital, stays there for a couple days and wracks up a bill of at least $60,000. Guess who has to pay for it? The good ole' taxpayers of Rhode Island.

Health insurance is already expensive enough/killing for the average tax payer/average person in Rhode Island While..
Many of these people don't have to pay a single penny for health insurance, sitting at home, doing nothing, who are perfectly healthy and able to work.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:38 AM

100 posts, read 466,201 times
Quote:
Is it just me or are many Rhode Islanders on welfare?
Nope, it's not just you.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:23 AM

Take a good look at the Quonset Point area of North Kingstown. Nearly everyone's on welfare there. Or East Providence.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:10 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,870 times
More right wing bologna. If you people actually looked at economic reports, instead of getting all your info from Talk Radio, you'd realize that welfare benefits in RI are actually being trimmed. I get so sick of these uninformed lies being presented as universal truths.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:42 PM

I heard about Governor Carcieri talking about welfare. He was thinking of cutting it.

Many people in RI seem to be on benefits. I know many people who are on benefits and don't deserve it.

I know there are people who there who are probably "eligible" for welfare or really need welfare but can't receive because the state's welfare budget can't meet the need of people who need welfare.

Which shows many Rhode Islanders need welfare and are on welfare. Is this because the job market sucks?

I think there are people in RI who are receiving welfare, that shouldn't be deserving. And there is alot of them. People abuse welfare. Some of them really don't need it.

Besides, I think it's ridiculous the state gives welfare to the single mothers for having more kids? Why are they encouraging these single mothers, whom many of them are even too young to properly raise kids, to have some more? The single mothers abuse this. They get knocked up again and the state gives them money for it. And then usually, their kids repeat the process all over again.

I know many people who live in the area where the state wants to build the crossroad apartments for people who are homeless and aren't financially stable. Many of these people abuse it. They spend all of their EBT cash on lottery or cigs.

Many "EBT" cardholders are often seen purchasing high end food items like live seafood, high grade cuts of meat, etc and clothing.

When the average middle-class taxpayer can't afford these luxuries most of the time, then why should these people who don't work and get our tax money for nothing be able to enjoy these luxuries?

Welfare encourages people to sit at home and be lazy and not to even try look for a job. I do not believe in the concept of welfare.

If the government really wants to help these people, then instead of giving them free money, they should send these people to programs where learn how to work or get a job or just get these people a job to do.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:44 PM

You just described every State in the Union.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:45 PM

By the way, if you think people have more kids so they can qualify for additional welfare, you're out of your mind.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
By the way, if you think people have more kids so they can qualify for additional welfare, you're out of your mind.
You don't think happens? Wow. I don't know what to say. People today are capable of anything. I'm sad to say, that there are some people who do that.

Especially if they don't care. They just want money. Getting pregnant is a big deal. It takes a lot of emotional strength and maturity. to get past those nine months. If it's by "accident".

Single mothers on welfare don't have to think about since the state will take care of every thing.

People are suppose to punished to learn from their mistakes. It's like the state is applauding them for getting pregnant once again.

I know a woman who refuses to marry her boyfriend because if she married him she wouldn't receive her welfare. He has a separate address in providence where he requests all his paychecks to be sent while he secretly lives with his girlfriend and their child.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:58 PM

Rhode Island's Future:: The problem with "entitlements" (http://www.rifuture.org/showDiary.do;jsessionid=043B31B9992E4C5B802405AD4E DF7929?diaryId=1627 - broken link)

Old 02-21-2008, 06:06 AM

257 posts, read 1,335,740 times
You can't use food stamps to buy cigarettes or liquor, only eligible food items. So people are not using their EBT to buy them. They definitely are abused though, I've noticed people with wads of cash in their wallets using their EBT instead, probly saving their cash to go to Twin River instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island