Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 04:19 PM

683 posts, read 834,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
There is such a thing as view rights or easements in real estate deeds in which case the view does belong to someone.

Generally, as far as cities go, those who have connected or reconnected to their waterfronts for the public good, and not for a privileged few, have seen a revival of the city. Baltimore is a case in point. Waterfront History | Baltimore Waterfront
Totally Agree. I don't know why Providence always thinks it is reinventing the wheel on everything we do to move forward.

Another great example is Tom McCall Park which was a highway when I was a kid.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Mc...aterfront_Park

On the southern end of the park is a public private development that has done wonders to draw people further south along the river.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RiverPlace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 07:47 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
As a Rhode Islander with a dog in the fight, I'd say one of the very, very least of Providence's problems is the chance it will become another Chicago, Boston or NYC. Absolutely 0%. Agree, PVD's considerable historic architectural assets should be protected to preserve its considerable character. A tall, architecturally iconic, signature tower built in the early 21st century takes nothing away from this. And, if done right can only enhance the city as a unique place.
Exactly. Becoming a Boston or Chicago should be least of Providence's concerns right now, whereas becoming a Bridgeport, CT is maybe hard to foresee but nevertheless a much greater possibility. One luxury residential tower on vacant land isn't going to hurt no one. The city isn't in the position right now to turn down tax revenue.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
That's fair, they're not comparable. Halifax is a good example though (really worth a visit if you haven't been), and I'm still not sure how this makes Providence any historical or unique? It takes a chunk of a vacant lot and converts it into housing in the city center which adds foot traffic for local businesses and can help stimulate the development of other vacant lots.
Meh. While the boardwalk is real nice, the waterfront is separated from the DT by a highway. Urban renewal really did a number on the cohesiveness there, although that's pretty much a given since half the city burned. While both cities are similar in size, they are set up quite differently and face different issues. The core of Providence doesn't hug the harbor the way Halifax does, where this tower would be built wouldn't be able to give way to extensive waterfront development the way Halifax or the Seaport in Boston does. Boston and Halifax (or even Baltimore) have much nicer harbors than PVD, Providence is just a river...

Old 02-07-2018, 06:21 AM

95 posts, read 69,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
The core of Providence doesn't hug the harbor the way Halifax does, where this tower would be built wouldn't be able to give way to extensive waterfront development the way Halifax or the Seaport in Boston does. Boston and Halifax (or even Baltimore) have much nicer harbors than PVD, Providence is just a river...
Agree, now if this tower caused the scrap ports and stinky oil tanks to go away and become more waterfront development....well, now we're talking. I hope the new building has balconies or at least windows that open so you can take it all in on a nice summer night. Who'd think that the bay side units would likely be the lower cost units and the city view more desirable. Isn't that usually the other way around?

Old 02-07-2018, 08:02 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Meh. While the boardwalk is real nice, the waterfront is separated from the DT by a highway. Urban renewal really did a number on the cohesiveness there, although that's pretty much a given since half the city burned. While both cities are similar in size, they are set up quite differently and face different issues. The core of Providence doesn't hug the harbor the way Halifax does, where this tower would be built wouldn't be able to give way to extensive waterfront development the way Halifax or the Seaport in Boston does. Boston and Halifax (or even Baltimore) have much nicer harbors than PVD, Providence is just a river...
I agree on most of those fronts - very different cities and completely different harbors. Though downtown Halifax really isn't separated by a highway- Barrington Street ends essentially where downtown begins and the rest of the downtown area is all pretty seamlessly connected with walkable streets ending right at the boardwalk/water. Agreed re: urban renewal though, it noticeably lacks a lot of the historic fabric that other maritime cities like St. John's, NL and even St. John, NB have.

But my point wasn't so much that PVD and Halifax are very similar cities (aside from comparable size); it's that Halifax, a city not nearly the same size and scale as Boston, Chicago, etc. manages to incorporate highrises on/around the waterfront while maintaining an excellent, accessible waterfront. Even with its flaws, Halifax has a nice waterfront and also has adjacent highrises (one literally built out over the water). Even if PVD's waterfront doesn't match up, it's not the fault of highrises. I don't buy that highrises ruin waterfront access for people (well, except the awful Boston Harbor Towers), bad planning and design does (see Route 79 in Fall River or the old Central Artery in Boston). And the Fain proposal isn't really even waterfront. No, Providence won't ever be Boston or Chicago and it won't have a harbor like Halifax, but it can have both high rises and a nice riverfront. They're not mutually exclusive.

Last edited by lrfox; 02-07-2018 at 08:10 AM..

Old 02-09-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I agree on most of those fronts - very different cities and completely different harbors. Though downtown Halifax really isn't separated by a highway- Barrington Street ends essentially where downtown begins and the rest of the downtown area is all pretty seamlessly connected with walkable streets ending right at the boardwalk/water. Agreed re: urban renewal though, it noticeably lacks a lot of the historic fabric that other maritime cities like St. John's, NL and even St. John, NB have.

But my point wasn't so much that PVD and Halifax are very similar cities (aside from comparable size); it's that Halifax, a city not nearly the same size and scale as Boston, Chicago, etc. manages to incorporate highrises on/around the waterfront while maintaining an excellent, accessible waterfront. Even with its flaws, Halifax has a nice waterfront and also has adjacent highrises (one literally built out over the water). Even if PVD's waterfront doesn't match up, it's not the fault of highrises. I don't buy that highrises ruin waterfront access for people (well, except the awful Boston Harbor Towers), bad planning and design does (see Route 79 in Fall River or the old Central Artery in Boston). And the Fain proposal isn't really even waterfront. No, Providence won't ever be Boston or Chicago and it won't have a harbor like Halifax, but it can have both high rises and a nice riverfront. They're not mutually exclusive.
My main point was that while something like this will likely spur inland reuse and an extension of Downcity along the vacant land, I don't see it as having potential for triggering the same kind of waterfront development. More distant from DT, and a much less attractive waterfront to begin with. Like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiver916 View Post
Agree, now if this tower caused the scrap ports and stinky oil tanks to go away and become more waterfront development....well, now we're talking. I hope the new building has balconies or at least windows that open so you can take it all in on a nice summer night. Who'd think that the bay side units would likely be the lower cost units and the city view more desirable. Isn't that usually the other way around?

But will a new residential high rise with proper design, ruin views and the small city character of Providence? ABSOLUTELY NOT. I think the consensus is pretty mutual there.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:14 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
Totally Agree. I don't know why Providence always thinks it is reinventing the wheel on everything we do to move forward.

Another great example is Tom McCall Park which was a highway when I was a kid.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Mc...aterfront_Park

On the southern end of the park is a public private development that has done wonders to draw people further south along the river.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RiverPlace
Nice example. You obviously have a clue as to the issues.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:28 PM

198 posts, read 150,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Good point. Views & vistas generally aren't taxable property because they don't belong to anyone. However, they are desirable & do have incredible value. Many home buyers pay dearly for "view" property, especially where it is unlikely to ever be blocked by others (waterfront, mountains & high floor city views to name a few).
these are called air rights and are considered an asset and is taxed as such in some cities.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:03 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Fall River has been ruined because of high rise developments blocking water views and access.

You may not mind highrises blocking views- I do.

Have you been to downtown Hartford lately? It's been the pits for the last 20 years.

I wouldn't mind Fain's building being approved at half the height.
Have you ever been to downtown Hartford? It is hardly the pits. Hundreds of new apartments being built and rented almost as fast as completed. A new baseball stadium that has played to MANY sold out games. A new UConn campus downtown joining Capital Community College, UConn Business, St. Joseph's School of Pharmacy, Rensselaer at Hartford and a new Trinity College downtown campus. Then there is the very popular Front Street with the amazing Infinity Music Hall. All joining iconic attractions like Hartford Stage, the Wadsworth Atheneum, the Bushnell Theater, the XL Center, the Connecticut Convention Center and the Connecticut Science Center as well as a very lively and expansive dining scene. Add to it that Hartford is the largest employment center in New England outside of Boston with more than 112,000 jobs. Hardly sounds like the "pits" to me. Jay

Old 02-20-2018, 04:12 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,698,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Have you ever been to downtown Hartford? It is hardly the pits. Hundreds of new apartments being built and rented almost as fast as completed. A new baseball stadium that has played to MANY sold out games. A new UConn campus downtown joining Capital Community College, UConn Business, St. Joseph's School of Pharmacy, Rensselaer at Hartford and a new Trinity College downtown campus. Then there is the very popular Front Street with the amazing Infinity Music Hall. All joining iconic attractions like Hartford Stage, the Wadsworth Atheneum, the Bushnell Theater, the XL Center, the Connecticut Convention Center and the Connecticut Science Center as well as a very lively and expansive dining scene. Add to it that Hartford is the largest employment center in New England outside of Boston with more than 112,000 jobs. Hardly sounds like the "pits" to me. Jay
JayCT, please don't take offense at postings here. If I had a nickel every time I've heard Providence referred to as the "pits". Rhode Islanders and especially Providence residents see their home as something special - unfortunately occasionally at the expense of what they see as the lesser "competition". Of course, Hartford has its splendids, as well as its struggles, not at all unlike our Providence. Some would even argue that with PVD's superior historic architectural infrastructure & location near the sea, it should more clearly be New England's second city. Also, some here will find your Hartford Jobs comment especially painful. A real arrow to the heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island