Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 10:18 PM

4,405 posts, read 3,197,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Well consider that the financial district high rises (Superman included) were once all full of employees.
That's 28 stories and had very minimal parking, so people took the bus or parked in various lots around the city. But had they all actually parked there, I imagine the impact on traffic would have been far worse than the residential high rise - more people leaving at exactly the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 10:32 PM

4,405 posts, read 3,197,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
It would set a precedent and we would soon be in mini Manhattan. That's why height limits were set.
I really don't think that's even a remote possibility. Heck, we wouldn't even be Hartford or Stamford.

It does seem out of scale to the rest of the city skyline but in an odd way, I think it could also help preserve it. In other words, it might be better to have a few residential towers than block after block of condos like those on Canal Street. I still can't get used to those! A tower would probably be less obstructive to one's view of the State House.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:53 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
I really don't think that's even a remote possibility. Heck, we wouldn't even be Hartford or Stamford.

It does seem out of scale to the rest of the city skyline but in an odd way, I think it could also help preserve it. In other words, it might be better to have a few residential towers than block after block of condos like those on Canal Street. I still can't get used to those! A tower would probably be less obstructive to one's view of the State House.
Once you set a precedent for ignoring regulations, then anything goes. I don't see how growth in that area would halt at one giant tower unless, which is a real possibility, it doesn't fill and now we have a giant sore thumb, half empty, sticking up and the taxpayers stuck for tax deals.

It is all speculation of course, either this city is growing a lot and will continue or it isn't. So far, the blocks of condos you mention are happening in real time. I've already gotten used to those and don't mind them since they fit in fairly well. Agree that state house views should be preserved if possible and that includes not dwarfing it as was done in Boston.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:30 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Once you set a precedent for ignoring regulations, then anything goes. I don't see how growth in that area would halt at one giant tower unless, which is a real possibility, it doesn't fill and now we have a giant sore thumb, half empty, sticking up and the taxpayers stuck for tax deals.

It is all speculation of course, either this city is growing a lot and will continue or it isn't. So far, the blocks of condos you mention are happening in real time. I've already gotten used to those and don't mind them since they fit in fairly well. Agree that state house views should be preserved if possible and that includes not dwarfing it as was done in Boston.
It's either sink or swim, this is not a bad proposal. Becoming a Manhattan is the LAST thing Providence should be worried about. Becoming a Flint, or Trenton, NJ...not an impossibility (unfortunately).

Old 03-12-2018, 04:17 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,700,436 times
Quote:
It would set a precedent and we would soon be in mini Manhattan. That's why height limits were set.
This argument reminds me of the one presented by those who have expressed concerns with the limited "gentrification" happening on the South Side in the historic districts. Their fear seems to be that it will somehow turn it into another East Side. Some would say, not to worry, they should be so lucky. The last thing PVD needs to worry about is suddenly finding itself a mini Manhattan.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:32 AM

683 posts, read 834,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
This argument reminds me of the one presented by those who have expressed concerns with the limited "gentrification" happening on the South Side in the historic districts. Their fear seems to be that it will somehow turn it into another East Side. Some would say, not to worry, they should be so lucky. The last thing PVD needs to worry about is suddenly finding itself a mini Manhattan.
Totally agree. And we wonder why there is so much decay in this state...backwards thinking by so many of those who ran this state into the ground. Economic and geographical factors point to this state finally evolving out of the death of the industrial age. Kind of excited to be living here. So much potential.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:51 AM

325 posts, read 311,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
Totally agree. And we wonder why there is so much decay in this state...backwards thinking by so many of those who ran this state into the ground. Economic and geographical factors point to this state finally evolving out of the death of the industrial age. Kind of excited to be living here. So much potential.
You people have run your state into the ground? Who knew!

Old 03-15-2018, 10:45 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
I'm both surprised and disappointed that no one seems to get my comment about ignoring set building regulations. Sad, but typical of the mentality that "RI is so desperate that any building, no matter how out of scale and proportion" is a good building".

Providence is now growing, we are not Flint or Trenton- jeeez.

Have none of you ever read "Form Follows Fiasco"?

Old 03-15-2018, 11:35 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,700,436 times
Quote:
I'm both surprised and disappointed that no one seems to get my comment about ignoring set building regulations. Sad, but typical of the mentality that "RI is so desperate that any building, no matter how out of scale and proportion" is a good building".

All regulations allow for variance. None are infallible, or meant to be. Should Providence be under tremendous growth pressure, it might seem prudent to resist much allowance. However, I would argue there is virtually no growth pressure on a city sinking in unfunded liabilities. My concern is with the unremarkable design quality of what does make it thru the regulation process. These new apartment buildings & hotels, while seeming to meet strict scale regulation requirements, are nothing short of embarrassing in design & quality.

Now, if the tower proposal is to be cheap and of mediocre design, as well as not to scale - then forget about it. The whole exercise has been a waste of time.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:35 PM

325 posts, read 311,893 times
Quote:

Mini Manhattan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island