Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 06:12 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times

Advertisements

Not fear mongering at all. The jury is still out on cell phones and cancer. Most studies say be cautious. Don't forget that Russians have weaponized microwaves. (no, I'm not saying they're exactly the same- before somebody jumps on me)

Wind turbines are obviously not an issue as is solar energy, but 5g transmission- who knows? The point is where are the safety studies? These things are also very ugly, strung up on the electric pole wiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
Work with the state...I know about carbon copies (was shocking!!!). Frequent traveler to Korea so I know what a great network is like. I wasn't making just a hit on Rhode Island, but the US and I thought that was what the article was about our desire as a state to be in on the ground floor of the 5g change???? All for it and happy to see some people who are for progress.

I stand by my statement about poor health. We have tons of stuff that we allowed into our culture....that kills us and we accept it. I'm for destroying all the Interstates because they are a huge health, social and cultural negative (bring in much more efficient rail regionally/nationally. Many many more health issues that are affecting more people than these towers.

I don't agree with your line of reasoning. Everything is killing and polluting so why bother with any safety measures. Seriously?

Old 04-25-2019, 06:47 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
When you have zero science knowledge, basic things like the inverse square law simply don't exist. Every cell tower is opposed with the same unfounded junk science arguments tossed around.

The way 5G works is you reduce the power, bunch the base stations closer together, and put fewer users on each base station so they can each have more of the shared bandwidth. There's no magic to the basic physics. They also play games with modulation technology to get more information down the same spectrum but it's mostly increasing bandwidth by deploying 10x more base stations within the same footprint. The output power of a legacy 3G or 4G base station is a heck of a lot higher than an urban 5G base station since they cover a much larger footprint.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:25 AM

So we're trading ugly dangling black boxes for more bandwidth? I know, ugly means little to many on this forum. Good thing we were able to vote on it!! ha ha

If you're convinced there's no health issue to this (and you seem to be) then could this be just another case of industry giving us more and more of what we really don't need and didn't ask for? I think technology is great, but we should have choice.

It's kind of like being forced into constantly having to buy every computer upgrade invented just to get things to continue working. We've all been there- sigh.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:42 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,186,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
When you have zero science knowledge, basic things like the inverse square law simply don't exist. Every cell tower is opposed with the same unfounded junk science arguments tossed around.

The way 5G works is you reduce the power, bunch the base stations closer together, and put fewer users on each base station so they can each have more of the shared bandwidth. There's no magic to the basic physics. They also play games with modulation technology to get more information down the same spectrum but it's mostly increasing bandwidth by deploying 10x more base stations within the same footprint. The output power of a legacy 3G or 4G base station is a heck of a lot higher than an urban 5G base station since they cover a much larger footprint.
Except to those of us with "zero science knowledge", the state of, implementation of and use of technology today looks like something out of Johnny Knoxville's "Jackass". We may have "zero science knowledge", but we do read articles about Tesla and Boeing, about the sale and exposure of personal data on social media outlets, heck, even the reveal of sensitive data from government and credit reporting databases, etc. We're aware of what microwaves can do, both constructive and destructive. Some of us are aware of what regulatory capture is and how it has affected entire industries.

This thread is probably more appropriate for the Science and Technology forum, or even Politics and other Controversies, but for me, it's great to see people urging caution on the local level.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:15 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,700,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Not fear mongering at all. The jury is still out on cell phones and cancer. Most studies say be cautious. Don't forget that Russians have weaponized microwaves. (no, I'm not saying they're exactly the same- before somebody jumps on me)

Wind turbines are obviously not an issue as is solar energy, but 5g transmission- who knows? The point is where are the safety studies? These things are also very ugly, strung up on the electric pole wiring.
While maybe somewhat shallow, my concern is the aesthetic damage the lines will do to neighborhoods already burdened with ugly telephone/electric/cable lines. As for the health concerns, I put it in the category of wind turbines. Probably a non-issue.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:53 AM

3,799 posts, read 2,698,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

Good post. People are ignorant of basic math, let alone the physics. Reader, click here if you want to read the wiki on inverse square law. The electromagnetic radiation from 3G, 4G, and 5G base stations should be safe.

Still, companies like Verizon, Cox, and National Grid don't pay nearly enough attention to the aesthetics of their installations, which generate a lot of ill will with the public. And for this they are to be criticized.

I would go so far as to argue that aesthetics are important to human health. The way we feel in a harsh industrial space is vastly different than how we feel in an aesthetically pleasing, more natural space. I don't have the time to dig them up at present, but I recall reading about studies which show that medical patients who stayed in hospital rooms with views of trees recovered faster than those whose rooms were less aesthetically pleasing. That should suggest something to you.

Concerns about aesthetics are important and are not shallow in the slightest bit.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:42 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post

Concerns about aesthetics are important and are not shallow in the slightest bit.

Sure, but somebody who doesn't like the aesthetics starts hurling junk science at it. "Oh, think of the children!" and similar nonsense. 5G in urban and dense suburban deployments has to be low power or the base stations would interfere with each other. Base stations and their antennas are usually laid out in a hexagonal honeycomb grid. The base stations & antennas in the six adjacent hexagons all operate on slightly different frequencies. Beyond those are other hexagons that use the same frequency as your local base station & antenna. The transmit power has to be low enough that your local base station doesn't interfere with those other base stations. In 5G in dense environments, you have a base station every 500 meters or so. You have to transmit at extremely low power or you're going to interfere with the base stations 1000 meters away that use the same frequency. The transmit power is not much more than the WiFi in your house. ~5 watts.

Nobody seems to notice power transformers or cable TV fiber nodes that are up on the phone poles now. After it's been there a few weeks, it becomes invisible just like the phone poles and power lines.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:13 PM

Some of the poles around here are so laden with boxes and tub like objects, there are extremely noticeable.

Drive down Rochambeau in Prov and take a quick look at the $1.5 mill houses that just went up and the telephone poles and wires criss crossing all over and tell me they look fine. If I'd just bought one of those houses, I'd be livid.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:29 PM

164 posts, read 125,262 times
Some towns in MA (Harvard for example) require the cell tower to look like the surroundings (like a big Christmas tree)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island