Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 07:06 AM

9,289 posts, read 14,892,417 times

Advertisements

I just found out about this- apparently our legislators have made RI one of the first to adopt it and it's coming to your neighborhood soon. Ugly boxes on public light poles?????

https://www.thewesterlysun.com/news/...31bd177f2.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 07:47 AM

684 posts, read 833,742 times
I love this line.....(my opinion here)

"Skeptics of 5G say the networks are a profit grab by wireless companies at the expense of health, democratic principles, and the environment."

1st. The U.S. is very slow and expensive technologically speaking. We pay way more than many countries for much worse service.

2nd. Health....and yet we still have 32,000 people killed in cars, 2,400,000 Injured 2018. Nearly 40,000 gun deaths in 2017. Obesity/smoking deaths?

3rd. Democratic Principles. It isn't democratic to have a minority of people blocking the will of the majority of people.

4th. Environment - Back to CARS! Low Density Suburbs. Plastics. Throw away culture......

It would be nice for Rhode Island to be ahead of the game on in this country and being a leader in technology would be nice (but living in a state that still uses carbon copies...probably isn't going to happen)

Old 02-25-2019, 08:57 AM

What makes you think Ri is behind the times in this area???? A crack about carbon copies- seriously???

RI is already one the most electronically connected states in the US- it ranks anywhere from the first to the third depending on whose stats you're looking at.

My concern about this 5G (which is already happening so it's not a question of "if") is not only the untested health aspects but the aesthetic aspects of it- especially when the ideal is underground utilities. These will be strung on existing telephone poles.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:21 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,180,717 times
It's wireless technology. Nothing is "strung," and antennas do not work particularly well underground.

If RI obstructs 5G, it's behind the times technologically.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
It's wireless technology. Nothing is "strung," and antennas do not work particularly well underground.

If RI obstructs 5G, it's behind the times technologically.
Did you even read the article?

Old 02-26-2019, 05:29 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Did you even read the article?
I did, I read fear mongering. It's some of the same arguments that were made against cell phone towers (health risks, ugly, public space for private profit, etc), and some of the same complaints about wind turbines (health: pressure, flicker... unsightly). Yawn. Can they be slightly less unsightly, sure. Lots of things can. But we don't prioritize aesthetics as a society in general.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:29 PM

684 posts, read 833,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
What makes you think Ri is behind the times in this area???? A crack about carbon copies- seriously???

RI is already one the most electronically connected states in the US- it ranks anywhere from the first to the third depending on whose stats you're looking at.

My concern about this 5G (which is already happening so it's not a question of "if") is not only the untested health aspects but the aesthetic aspects of it- especially when the ideal is underground utilities. These will be strung on existing telephone poles.
Work with the state...I know about carbon copies (was shocking!!!). Frequent traveler to Korea so I know what a great network is like. I wasn't making just a hit on Rhode Island, but the US and I thought that was what the article was about our desire as a state to be in on the ground floor of the 5g change???? All for it and happy to see some people who are for progress.

I stand by my statement about poor health. We have tons of stuff that we allowed into our culture....that kills us and we accept it. I'm for destroying all the Interstates because they are a huge health, social and cultural negative (bring in much more efficient rail regionally/nationally. Many many more health issues that are affecting more people than these towers.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:46 PM

17,681 posts, read 9,164,338 times
It's not fear mongering. Testing has not been done to ensure it's safe. We will essentially be guinea pigs.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:32 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,178,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
It's not fear mongering. Testing has not been done to ensure it's safe. We will essentially be guinea pigs.
5G has been blocked in Belgium, where Brussels is located. Brussels is the seat of EU government, where many of the EU elite spend a lot of time. If they have concerns, perhaps we should, too.

The Brussels Times - Radiation concerns halt Brussels 5G development, for now

Old 04-25-2019, 04:51 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
People also had concerns with cell phone towers and wind turbines. It's all amounted to nothing. God, spent years dealing with that crap... including complains of flicker and pressure from wind turbines to radiation on one's brain from cell phone transmissions. Just crazy ass fear mongering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island