Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 07:46 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
How is factoring in inflation skewing the numbers? You have to inflation-adjust any long term investment.

It's fine to do as long as one is consistent and does it across the board, including adjusting the value of the dollars being spent over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 08:11 AM

9,295 posts, read 14,911,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It's fine to do as long as one is consistent and does it across the board, including adjusting the value of the dollars being spent over time.
Perhaps we should look at increases in rent vis a vis inflation?

Old 05-17-2019, 08:23 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Perhaps we should look at increases in rent vis a vis inflation?

One would have to, if consistent.

Though personally, I'm not sure if inflation (generally CPI) is the best metric to even use here. Perhaps changes in take home wages would be a better metric.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:43 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,127,911 times
To the OP, you need to compare the price of the house to your gross income as a very general starting point. Is it 2x your income? If so, its likely affordable. Is it 4x? Maybe not unless you have a significant down payment.

For a better answer you would need to provide more information like what you rent could be, what your mortgage would be, income/expenses, etc.

You also need to factor in where you are in life and where you think you'll be in 7-10 years. If you plan on staying put for at least that long then the price today won't matter as much.

The doubling of the standard deduction with the recent tax law changes demolishes the benefit of deducting mortgage interest and state income taxes especially for lower earners.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:12 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
To the OP, you need to compare the price of the house to your gross income as a very general starting point. Is it 2x your income? If so, its likely affordable. Is it 4x? Maybe not unless you have a significant down payment.

The more standard way of doing this is to compare mortgage, taxes, and insurance against your gross income. For someone fairly young and on an upwards career track, 28% of your gross income is as much as you'd want to take on. If you just compare house to gross income, it doesn't account for high property tax towns or higher interest rates.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:24 PM

16 posts, read 13,712 times
Thank you everyone for your useful inputs. I am still doing research on the housing market and in no rush to buy.

Right now, I am studying these two options:

https://www.trulia.com/p/ri/lincoln/...65--2002725992

https://www.trulia.com/p/ri/north-pr...04--2002851353

I was wondering if you could give me your opinion on this? What would you choose to buy? Thank you!

Old 05-21-2019, 04:05 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,702,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tathy View Post
Thank you everyone for your useful inputs. I am still doing research on the housing market and in no rush to buy.

I was wondering if you could give me your opinion on this? What would you choose to buy? Thank you!
Lincoln is generally considered a better location than North Providence. However, the NP condo looked to have virtually the cheapest finishes (in & out) available from Home Depot. But, your opinion is the most important.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:44 AM

17,752 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tathy View Post

If your budget allows, you may want to consider a single family house as opposed to a condo. Both of the listings you've linked are condos with monthly HOA fees. It should also be noted that the HOA fees at the North Providence condo are nearly double ($252 vs. $135). That's ~$3000 or ~$1600 a year. The HOA fees add up over the years. And I think they can go up.

That said, neither seems to be a bad choice but I'd probably pass on both.

If I was forced to pick one over the other, I'd likely choose the North Providence one despite the higher HOA fees. Why? The Lincoln condo appears to be in a rundown area, you may have trashy neighbors, and it's pretty close to Central Falls. The North Providence condo is close to Mineral Spring Ave - which could be viewed as a positive or a negative. In this case, I'd view it as a positive because you'd have many conveniences nearby but you'd be far enough away for it to not be a distraction. The North Providence condo is on the corner of a high traffic street, but it seems to be located in a solid neighborhood. Not a high end neighborhood, but the side street looks decent. And the proximity to Providence is a major plus.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:02 AM

23,577 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
If your budget allows, you may want to consider a single family house as opposed to a condo. Both of the listings you've linked are condos with monthly HOA fees. It should also be noted that the HOA fees at the North Providence condo are nearly double ($252 vs. $135). That's ~$3000 or ~$1600 a year. The HOA fees add up over the years. And I think they can go up.

That said, neither seems to be a bad choice but I'd probably pass on both.

If I was forced to pick one over the other, I'd likely choose the North Providence one despite the higher HOA fees. Why? The Lincoln condo appears to be in a rundown area, you may have trashy neighbors, and it's pretty close to Central Falls. The North Providence condo is close to Mineral Spring Ave - which could be viewed as a positive or a negative. In this case, I'd view it as a positive because you'd have many conveniences nearby but you'd be far enough away for it to not be a distraction. The North Providence condo is on the corner of a high traffic street, but it seems to be located in a solid neighborhood. Not a high end neighborhood, but the side street looks decent. And the proximity to Providence is a major plus.
One thing to add is I'd generally stay away from those mini-associations like the one in Lincoln, they can be TROUBLE. And yes, that is by Lonsdale which along with Manville is considered one of the problem areas of Lincoln, with seepage coming over from C.F.. The NP location is more comfortable. I also agree that a single family home is preferable, but it's important to note that even the $252 is not THAT high for a condo fee (they can get MUCH worse). That alone would not cause me to hesitate AS LONG as it's a well run association, but in either case be SURE to do your due diligence before buying. You need to check for anticipated repairs/plans for funding them, cash flow, cash reserve...

Old 05-22-2019, 09:37 AM

15 posts, read 13,354 times
I'm looking to sell soon, I got a Condo for 93k when the market was low, it's just recently gone back up so it'll be there a while. Keep your eyes open for something you like but you don't need to jump and buy right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island