Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 12:11 PM

646 posts, read 927,167 times

Advertisements

I live in the NYC metro area and looking to move soon for better QOL. Richmond looks like it could be one of the options, since it's pretty close and therefore easier to get a job in/move and has a nice location. I really like going to the ocean beaches in the summer so that's a plus. The economy seems good, and there are jobs for me, while COL is low. I also like the idea that I have other big cities close by like DC, Bmore and Philly so I could easily move around if need be for a job or what not. I realize its not gon be like NYC, and I don't want it to be. I also realize that no place is perfect, but I am quite open minded. I used to live in Portland, OR so wondering how Richmond compares to it. I actually don't like Portland and think it's boring and corny with all the hipster nonsense. That said, its a larger metro so wondering if Richmond would offer less or not really. Other questions:

What's the vibe like?
Is there distinct southern character and southern accent? Would it be a culture shock to someone like me?
I like diversity and am liberal leaning . How is the overall culture and mindset of people and race relations? Are there diverse suburbs?
Are there many things to do in the city and suburbs? How do people spend time usually?
How's nightlife? Are there good museums, strip clubs, concerts, restaurants?
Are there any good Hip Hop clubs, events, parties?
How's the women?
How are immigrants looked at? (I'm Russian)

Any other relevant info will be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 02:51 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,424,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlite View Post
What's the vibe like?
Is there distinct southern character and southern accent? Would it be a culture shock to someone like me?
Nope. You'll get some Y'all's here and there but the Southern Accent in Richmond and Henrico is minimal. But if you go to say Chesterfield County (south of Richmond) it's a lot more noticeable.

Quote:
I like diversity and am liberal leaning . How is the overall culture and mindset of people and race relations? Are there diverse suburbs?
The area is pretty diverse, but not overly. Also remember. The Liberal way of thinking is what made the Northeast the overpriced, over taxed, over controlled place it is now, which is why most leave it! So do a little research before you start voting here. I didn't move here to have it wrecked like home was. Yes, I'm from the Northeast so I know this first hand.

Quote:
Are there many things to do in the city and suburbs? How do people spend time usually?
How's nightlife? Are there good museums, strip clubs, concerts, restaurants?
Are there any good Hip Hop clubs, events, parties?
How's the women?
How are immigrants looked at? (I'm Russian)

Any other relevant info will be helpful.
There's plenty to do great restaurants, bars etc. I wouldn't worry about being an immigrant.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
Nope. You'll get some Y'all's here and there but the Southern Accent in Richmond and Henrico is minimal. But if you go to say Chesterfield County (south of Richmond) it's a lot more noticeable.

The area is pretty diverse, but not overly. Also remember. The Liberal way of thinking is what made the Northeast the overpriced, over taxed, over controlled place it is now, which is why most leave it! So do a little research before you start voting here. I didn't move here to have it wrecked like home was. Yes, I'm from the Northeast so I know this first hand.

There's plenty to do great restaurants, bars etc. I wouldn't worry about being an immigrant.
Yea, I understand. I am not ultra liberal, but more liberal than conservative. There are also liberal places that are not broke or in the gutter (Seattle, Denver, Mpls, Austin, Columbus, etc), but that's a whole other topic.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:21 PM

689 posts, read 1,616,472 times
A lot of people are starting to compare RVA to Portland -- my sister lived in Portland, and I can see the superficial similarities, but we do not have that overwhelming "Keep Portland weird" kind of vibe. We have trendy, hipster areas, old Virginia areas, and everything in between. Lots of suburbia, too. Richmond is very easy to navigate.

Culture shock coming from NY? Absolutely. But would you have that moving to any other much smaller metro area, probably, especially in the south. You'll probably find people think and talk a lot slower, unless you're in one of the areas with a larger transplant population, like the far west end. We don't have good mass transit.

You'll like find the politics more conservative than you're used to, but again, there's a mix. The area with the largest transplant population is represented by Eric Cantor, of whom you may have heard, if you tune in to politics. On the other hand, with a large university and several smaller schools, and an eclectic downtown population, we do have some variety.

There's a lot to do here -- several good museums and outdoor venues, which sponsor a lot of events in the nicer seasons. RVA is becoming a very outdoorsy town. I think the restaurant scene has improved substantially. Look us up on Urban Spoon and see if there are places that appeal to you. I can't comment on the women or the strip clubs. I'm not aware of any "anti-immigrant" feeling in our area, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novanwbie View Post
A lot of people are starting to compare RVA to Portland -- my sister lived in Portland, and I can see the superficial similarities, but we do not have that overwhelming "Keep Portland weird" kind of vibe. We have trendy, hipster areas, old Virginia areas, and everything in between. Lots of suburbia, too. Richmond is very easy to navigate.

Culture shock coming from NY? Absolutely. But would you have that moving to any other much smaller metro area, probably, especially in the south. You'll probably find people think and talk a lot slower, unless you're in one of the areas with a larger transplant population, like the far west end. We don't have good mass transit.

You'll like find the politics more conservative than you're used to, but again, there's a mix. The area with the largest transplant population is represented by Eric Cantor, of whom you may have heard, if you tune in to politics. On the other hand, with a large university and several smaller schools, and an eclectic downtown population, we do have some variety.

There's a lot to do here -- several good museums and outdoor venues, which sponsor a lot of events in the nicer seasons. RVA is becoming a very outdoorsy town. I think the restaurant scene has improved substantially. Look us up on Urban Spoon and see if there are places that appeal to you. I can't comment on the women or the strip clubs. I'm not aware of any "anti-immigrant" feeling in our area, so I wouldn't worry about that.
About culture shock, I currently live in the burbs actually so I am not completely in that NYC craziness typa lifestyle, even though I commute there regularly. That said, suburbs here are very urban too comparing to smaller cities so I realize it would be an adjustment, slower pace and everything. I only lived in this area for a couple yrs though while I lived in Portland for many yrs so I am actually more used to Portland's slower pace than here. I am still not used to this craziness, even though I am no softee and from Russia, NYC is just not for me. I guess I should instead ask, would it be a culture shock coming from Portland?

Old 02-13-2014, 03:44 PM

689 posts, read 1,616,472 times
Hmmm, probably still a bit of culture shock, but if you weren't super into the Portland weirdness scene, you should be fine. I like to think we have the best of Portland. Funky restaurants, farmers markets, good outdoor spaces (though not nearly as many beautiful parks -- Portland's got a lock on rose gardens!), nice people, walkable spaces. It's not super bike-friendly, although all of VA is getting better. You certainly should find the commuting/traffic better than both Portland and NYC. Oh, we're way behind on food carts, too. But Portland's food carts are amazing.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:00 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,410 times
You would love it here , I been out here for a week now in the Glen Allen/ short pump area and it's great. Downtown richmond is really cool , there is a lot of diversity here , lot of things to do , and everyone is very nice. I like the Midlothian area as well.

I'm from NJ and I don't find it a huge culture shock as many people say but it's different in a good better way. Everything here is just so much better , cost of living and gas prices are way lower too. I plan on moving here hopefully by the end of the year.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novanwbie View Post
Hmmm, probably still a bit of culture shock, but if you weren't super into the Portland weirdness scene, you should be fine. I like to think we have the best of Portland. Funky restaurants, farmers markets, good outdoor spaces (though not nearly as many beautiful parks -- Portland's got a lock on rose gardens!), nice people, walkable spaces. It's not super bike-friendly, although all of VA is getting better. You certainly should find the commuting/traffic better than both Portland and NYC. Oh, we're way behind on food carts, too. But Portland's food carts are amazing.
O ok, good to know. Yea, Portland got nice, green nature, and I do like parks. That's about the only thing I liked there. I don't care for bikes or public transportation, I like to drive. Portland scene is def too weird for me. I like more mainstream typa American scene. Portland is too hippie/hipster-smoking weed all day-staying unproductive-eco friendly for me. I would also think I would find better hip hop parties in Richmond, since there is way more black people.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
You would love it here , I been out here for a week now in the Glen Allen/ short pump area and it's great. Downtown richmond is really cool , there is a lot of diversity here , lot of things to do , and everyone is very nice. I like the Midlothian area as well.

I'm from NJ and I don't find it a huge culture shock as many people say but it's different in a good better way. Everything here is just so much better , cost of living and gas prices are way lower too. I plan on moving here hopefully by the end of the year.
I wonder if summers are much hotter and humid. I don't like humidity at all. That's prolly the main thing I don't like on the East Coast.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:23 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,410 times
Yeah I'm sure it is humid, but you get all 4 seasons so it's all good. I grew up in Texas for 14 years and lived in NJ for a good 17 now.. I love Texas and Virginia reminds me a lot of it. I like the whole 4 seasons and I'm an outdoors kind of person so VA works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: