Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 02:12 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,978,261 times

Advertisements

Sad to report Ukrop's Super Markets Inc. will close one of its two Williamsburg-area stores next month. The last day for the Lightfoot store at 6610 Mooretown Road in the Williamsburg Marketcenter will be Jan. 31. It opened in October 2006.
In a letter sent to shoppers today, Robert S. Ukrop, president and chief executive of the chain, wrote, "We opened the . . . store in anticipation of the significant growth expected along the [Interstate] 64 corridor." A slowdown in the housing market "suggests that development will be sluggish, at least for the foreseeable future."
The grocer is encouraging customers to shop at its other Williamsburg store. at 4660 Monticello Ave.
After the Williamsburg store closes, Ukrop's will have 28 stores in Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 09:20 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,619,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Williamsburg View Post
Sad to report Ukrop's Super Markets Inc. will close one of its two Williamsburg-area stores next month. The last day for the Lightfoot store at 6610 Mooretown Road in the Williamsburg Marketcenter will be Jan. 31. It opened in October 2006.
In a letter sent to shoppers today, Robert S. Ukrop, president and chief executive of the chain, wrote, "We opened the . . . store in anticipation of the significant growth expected along the [Interstate] 64 corridor." A slowdown in the housing market "suggests that development will be sluggish, at least for the foreseeable future."
The grocer is encouraging customers to shop at its other Williamsburg store. at 4660 Monticello Ave.
After the Williamsburg store closes, Ukrop's will have 28 stores in Virginia.
I also heard they may reopen the store in a few years after the economy picks up. I have been to that store and it sure is a pretty store.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:13 AM

1,195 posts, read 3,978,261 times
I tried to read thru and see if this question had been anwered but didn't see it. I'm curious , how many grocery stores are there in the Roanoke area ? It's bigger than Wiiliamsburg by about 20%. We have 3 Food Lion/ Blooms, 1 Ukrops, 3 Farm Fresh, 1 Trader Joes, 1 Fresh Market, 1 Wal Mart, 1 Harris Teeter opening 2009, 1 Wal Mart Neighborhood Market opening 2009, 2 Targets that have small grocery departments in them.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Williamsburg View Post
I tried to read thru and see if this question had been anwered but didn't see it. I'm curious , how many grocery stores are there in the Roanoke area ? It's bigger than Wiiliamsburg by about 20%. We have 3 Food Lion/ Blooms, 1 Ukrops, 3 Farm Fresh, 1 Trader Joes, 1 Fresh Market, 1 Wal Mart, 1 Harris Teeter opening 2009, 1 Wal Mart Neighborhood Market opening 2009, 2 Targets that have small grocery departments in them.
We have 3 walmart supercenters near by. Several food Lions, and a Kroger everywhere including a new very large Kroger, and a fresh market. Honestly though I think Ukrop's is very different than all of the other grocers here because of our service to our customers, our hot foods area, and the good we do for the community. After reading the roanoke times this morning.. Ukrop said "we still have some work to do" and that in the new year more programs will be put into place to draw sales. I am happy to know that they havent given up on us yet and I am certain everyone can expect us to stay around for at least a while longer. :-) I think the closure of the Williamsburg store and the two other Richmond stores (soon to come) are all an effort to try and save the store here. Happy new Year!!

Old 01-01-2009, 08:24 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,190,433 times
We have an enormous number of grocery stores in the Roanoke Valley. From a Google map search:

9 Krogers
10 Food Lions
1 Ukrops
1 Fresh Market
3 Wall-Mart Supercenters (plus 1 on its way in South Roanoke)
2 Wall-Marts
1 Roanoke Natural Foods Co-Op (largest and most profitable natural foods co-op in Virginia)
Countless small convenience marts.

That's not even counting the town of Rocky Mount and Franklin County, which is technically part of the Roanoke MSA. In Franklin County alone, there is:

2 Krogers
2 Food Lions
? Winn-Dixies
1 Wal-Mart Supercenter
2 Minute Markets
A dozen or more small grocers.
Also, an unnamed large grocery planned for the new 40 acre Wirtz Road development under construction just south of Boones Mill.

So, for a population of 300,000 we have about 30 large grocery stores.

Sean

Old 01-02-2009, 12:26 PM

55 posts, read 265,177 times
I've been reading this string with sincere interest, and do not mean any offense by what I'm about to say. Everyone has a right to an opinion...

My husband and I are fairly recent transplants here from a larger metropolitan Southern city of a million-plus. There, we had all the major retail and grocery players. But more importantly, we enjoyed a bounty of locally owned restaurants of national acclaim and boutiques offering one-of-a-kind goods and service.

Our move to Roanoke has been a positive one, and the scenery coupled with the seasons gives us something new every day. However, as we were making the decision to move here and realized that pretty much the only grocery option was Kroger, it almost made us not move. Had we not heard Roanoke was getting a Fresh Market, I don't know if we would have actually made the Valley our home. We have friends here who have been driving to Greensboro once a week for years to shop at the Fresh Market there, and were resigned we'd have to do the same.

You may think that's a bit extreme, but the lack of what I consider "quality" grocery and retail is a sign of a greater issue, we think. As written here earlier, other retailers are hedging their bets on Roanoke based on the success of things like Carrabbas, Fresh Market and Ukrops. The kind of development in a town signals its health and its attitude. The absence, likewise, is a good barometer of "where a community is at." Pardon the dangling preposition. In our house, the Taubman is the most exciting thing to happen to Roanoke in at least five years. It says to everyone who passes by on 581 that there are some people here who are trying to drag Roanoke into the present. As lofts continue to occupy empty, historic buildings, we feel downtown will continue to morph into a more thriving, important spot on the map.

We long for a P.F. Changs, Jason's Deli, a Nordstrom, more boutique-type offerings, an upscale Mexican type restaurant (although we are fans of the margaritas at Alejandros). Stuff by which we've been spoiled in the past. But, if we are fighting about the cost of soft drinks at Ukrops, I just don't see how the city is moving forward.

(And, before you start listing all your favorite restaurants and stores, trust me... I've been to them all.) Davidson's is a noted, almost glaring exception. It is a good store for basic apparel. Nothing too fashion forward, certainly, but trend-aware professional clothing for men.

Our timing of building and moving stretched across the months of Fresh Market's construction and opening. My husband "lived" here during the weeks and commuted back home on weekends for more than a year while we found land, found a builder and built the house we wanted. During that time, he got used to Kroger, but still reported its lack of cleanliness (Towers, Brambleton, Crossroads and Hollins locations) to me. "You wouldn't buy your meat there," he'd opine. Now, I know that's going to draw some flames, but I DO NOT MEAN IT TO. I think once you are exposed and accustomed to the Fresh Market and Ukrops -- heck, even Trader Joe's and Whole Foods -- it's hard to mention Wal-Mart and Kroger in the same sentences. The Cave Spring Kroger is the nicest we've found in the area, but still isn't what we're looking for.

We anxiously waited for Fresh Market to open at Towers. We're there a few times a week. Likewise, Ukrops made a big splash. Not being from here, the name meant little to us. However, the legion of fans from our friends in the larger cities eastward got us excited. Ukrops in Roanoke marked, we thought, economic growth in the right direction. Like Taubman. We're also at Ukrops a few times a week.

Just Tuesday, we stumbled across yet another niche market Ukrops should corner: Hot breakfast! We stopped in this morning for breakfast to go and were delighted that we got extra eggs, bacon and sausage (not our normal intake, but we were starving) for ALL UNDER FIVE DOLLARS EACH. That's pretty amazing and the food was great! While I will admit, the cost of soft drinks at Ukrops doesn't compete with other discount type stores, I just can't see how anyone can compare the stores.

Even in this tanked economy, I will still pay more for QUALITY, for AN EXPERIENCE and for SERVICE. It matters to me that Fresh Market and Ukrops support locally grown food and wine, for instance. It matters that I can choose from three (sometimes four) types of chicken salad at Fresh Market or that I can buy things at Ukrops the other stores don't carry. It matters that the FLOORS ARE CLEAN, that the workers are CLEAN CUT and HELPFUL, that the lighting is dramatic and the floral departments offer things you'd actually put in your kitchen. It matters that I just feel better shopping at a store I consider on a different level than the others.

I'm not going to tell you how to prioritize your household budget. It's not my place. However, I am going to point out that we will continue to prioritize the things about which we feel passionately.

Not to bash Kroger. I do think the gas card is a good idea, and I will admit that we pop in now and then for forgotten items and last-minute things (yes, soft drinks, paper towels, garbage bags). But, as for me and mine, we will drive, hike, hitch hike to get to places like Fresh Market and Ukrops. Please note: I do not fault anyone's choices nor look down my nose at them for their choices. I just felt the need to chime -- well, more than chime -- in on this topic. We want Roaonke to thrive, for more cool young types to move here and for the love of fried rice a P.F. Changs to come our way.

SUPPORT BOTH! WE NEED THEM TO STAY!!!!!!!!!
TEEBYRD86, we support you and applaud you for coming on here to plead your case.
Now, look into getting Planters Sesame Nut Mix for us, will ya?

Old 01-03-2009, 05:17 PM

246 posts, read 782,472 times
Basing where a place is "at" by its retail selection is consumeristic and shallow at best. This kind of thinking is what has gotten America into the present economic mess. I could give a squat if one more trendy, overpriced chain came to Roanoke. Floyd, VA, is one of the most unique, colorful, and vibrant communities in America, and their claim to chain restaurant fame is a small Hardee's on 221.

Really, do we need to tie up our self-worths in whether or not Kohl's chooses to truck in clothes and peddle them in a big, cold box? Are not the mountains, the rivers, the Appalachian Trail and all the rest enough to prove that we've chosen wisely where we live?

"We long for a P.F. Changs." Ptooey. I long for residents with more sense.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
Basing where a place is "at" by its retail selection is consumeristic and shallow at best. This kind of thinking is what has gotten America into the present economic mess. I could give a squat if one more trendy, overpriced chain came to Roanoke. Floyd, VA, is one of the most unique, colorful, and vibrant communities in America, and their claim to chain restaurant fame is a small Hardee's on 221.

Really, do we need to tie up our self-worths in whether or not Kohl's chooses to truck in clothes and peddle them in a big, cold box? Are not the mountains, the rivers, the Appalachian Trail and all the rest enough to prove that we've chosen wisely where we live?

"We long for a P.F. Changs." Ptooey. I long for residents with more sense.
You are just stuck back in time like most other Roanokers who dont like change and want this place to stay stuck back in time. I am happy to say that places like Ukrop's actually help cities like Roanoke.. because they apeal to people (like bluefish). Do we expect or do we want Roanoke to be a big city? No.. Are we asking for it to be another Atlanta? No.. If we were then we wouldnt be living here. I for one really care a lot about this city and it really means a lot to me. I would love to see it progess. Roanoke has a lot of things going for it & new development will only help it. Think of all the jobs this development provides to the great people of this city. I can agree that some stores wouldnt work in Roanoke (saks) But I dont think gaining a Kohl's (which i do miss) will do any harm to the city. I think you really need to think about the whole picture before being so negative towards positive change our city. I hope that in time you see that economic development is great for Roanoke and its residents. -God Bless

Ps. Bluefish- I am glad you enjoy shopping at Ukrop's! I spent my childhood raised on Ukrop's food (especially our rainbow cookies!). I have been working with Ukrop's since I was 16 years old. Its really awesome to feel so much pride and care in the company you work for. Not very many people feel that way. You are treated like family and it really does mean a lot. Especially when you moved 3 hours from your real family. I know I can always count on my Ukrop's family includeing the best store manager I could ask for. I will put a word into Jason (the store mgr) about the mix you requested.. but it wouldnt hurt to write a comment on the board up front about it either. Its nice to see customers like yourself supporting the great company I work for. It truely humbles me. :-) Take care! And hope to see you in the store sometime.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:58 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,190,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
Can we not live among the natural splendor, yet also order our Swag from the Frontgate, Hanna Anderson, Restoration Home, Novica, and Eddie Bauer catalogs that we receive thrice weekly?

Before anyone gets offended, I was actually poking fun at myself. Well, myself, pre-economic-meltdown anyway

Sean

Old 01-04-2009, 07:29 AM

246 posts, read 782,472 times
Okay, one last message, and I'll leave this thread alone. I'm all for Ukrop's succeeding. I just don't base progress solely on what retail stores we can attract. Progress to me is a blend of development--e.g., Ukrops, downtown, Carilion, Taubman, trolleys, amphitheatre, Rockledge--while preserving and enhancing what makes Roanoke truly unique and not just another collection of chain restaurants and strip malls on the highway. I'm far from one of those "stuck in the mud" Roanokers.

I never really thought about this, but when I catalog my favorite restaurants from the towns I've lived in, none of them are chains.

Blacksburg--Souvlaki's
Harrisonburg--Mr. Gatti's Pizza
Greenville, NC--B's Barbecue
Washington, NC--Bill's Hot Dogs
Salisbury, MD--Fratelli's
Roanoke, VA--?? Still deciding.

All of these towns have the usual assortments of Applebee's and TGIFriday's and whatnot. But those can be found anywhere and everywhere. I just drove from Roanoke to New Jersey and back and passed dozens of towns with the same collection of crap on the highway, Who cares? What makes Harrisburg, PA special? Does it have a Mill Mountain? An Appalachian Trail? A Blue Ridge Parkway?

In the long run, a grocery store won't make or break Roanoke. But in this over-inflated spend-spend world of rampant retailing and buy now, pay later, the eternal things--our natural beauty, for one--can make Roanoke stand out as a great place to live and work. To a retailer, we're just numbers. And if the numbers don't add up, it's lights out. Far from eternal or even long-lived. It's a false hope.

So, good luck, Ukrop's. If it doesn't work out here this time, we'll still be here--as will Williamsburg--if you want to try again later, when the numbers look better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area