Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2010, 01:32 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David001 View Post

Dislikes: poor fashion sense, lack of ethnic diversity, lack of adequate public transportation, car culture, general shortage of beautiful people, both male and female, lack of techno/house scene.

There are multiple car shows around rochester and the vicinity every year.....This is not LA or NYC or Miami.....I doubt people know what techno is and their really is no need for a public transportation system.... Lack of Ethnic diversity too? Lmao im pretty sure each year their is a ukraine fest, puerto rican fest, german fest, polish fest and many others.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 02:01 PM

466 posts, read 982,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Lol @ David, go back to San Fran or Providencetown.

I mean seriously, a general shortage of beautiful people? No fashion sense? LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!
OK so I wasn't the only one who got a good laugh at that lol.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:20 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
There used to be more DJs spinning house years ago, but that trend seemed to die down. One gets decent DJs every now and then. Otherwise, this town is known more for metal so the electronic scene not really existent.
One thing I notice is that there is much more ethnic diversity than many other places with all the different types of festivals. When I go to the public market I hear several different languages spoken of several different ethnicities. I've seen a much more homogeneous culture in many other parts of the country I've been to where people of different ethnic backgrounds assimilate into American culture.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:31 PM

531 posts, read 1,144,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Lol @ David, go back to San Fran or Providencetown.

I mean seriously, a general shortage of beautiful people? No fashion sense? LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!
haahhahahahhah..."go back to San Fran"....lolll..thats the FIRST thing I thought when I read his post....

Old 09-01-2010, 01:32 PM

531 posts, read 1,144,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
There used to be more DJs spinning house years ago, but that trend seemed to die down. One gets decent DJs every now and then. Otherwise, this town is known more for metal so the electronic scene not really existent.
One thing I notice is that there is much more ethnic diversity than many other places with all the different types of festivals. When I go to the public market I hear several different languages spoken of several different ethnicities. I've seen a much more homogeneous culture in many other parts of the country I've been to where people of different ethnic backgrounds assimilate into American culture.

Pearl nightclub is outstanding for techno/house.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:41 PM

59 posts, read 235,378 times
On diversity, beautiful people, and fashion sense. I was making a comparison based on my experiences gleaned from a much larger city. Perhaps I should have stated that upfront, but the original post simply asked for likes/dislikes, and I offered them. My comparison city is Toronto, which outstrips Rochester on those fronts pretty easily. Much of it has to do with simply being a larger city, which is renowned for its diversity. I think that influences all of those factors in on multiple levels.

Re the word "beautiful". Though it seemed some people agreed with me, I have to wonder if the term was interpreted by some pretty narrowly, judging by the San Fran etc comments...that's cool, each to their own. Ironically though, I wasn't talking about supermodel or normative beauty, though I can see how it came across like that. But I just know that there are few people here that really turn my head. Subjective experience, but that's what was asked for.

And 585, thanks for the Pearl suggestion.

Last edited by David001; 09-04-2010 at 05:57 PM..

Old 09-07-2010, 09:12 AM

1,891 posts, read 3,448,843 times
Wasn't techno a 90's thing?

/s

Old 09-07-2010, 09:34 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
techno was big in the mainstream in the 90s, but has always had a large underground following. Aside from some drum and bass & gabber, I don't like "techno" music. In the 90s there were many more places that had this type of music. Now It's pretty much Pearl, One and the occasional show at waterstreet.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:55 AM

1,891 posts, read 3,448,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
Okayy here we go:

"You must be joking."

Nope. Not joking.

"(wherever klansman hang out; I haven't seen nor met any and we've been here 3 years). "

Hmm, perhaps they stopped recruiting door-to-door? And maybe they even decided to stop wearing the white hoods in public? Geez, what are you going to tell me next? They no longer travel on horseback?

"It's integrated, here. Urban, suburban, etc. People of all types of backgrounds have done well, here, going back 20+ years".

Okay? Why are you making it sound like this is something unique to Greenville? It's 2010, in most cities in America (if not all) you will find people of all types of backgrounds who have 'done well'--some more than others, obviously.

For the life of me, I cannot get the name Ursula Burns out of my mind.

"Hmmm, "says NOTHING about the realities and attitudes of those living there!"? "

Lol, no, it doesn't. I proved this in my previous post. Thanks for repeating my point, though.

"So, you've lived here, I take it?"

No, I haven't. But I have 2 close friends who go to Clemson--who have subsequently befriended plenty of born and raised Greenville locals. From what they've told me, racism is definitely a problem down there. Moreover, the only other time I have ever even heard Greenville mentioned was on the news: S.C. Tea Party Mayhem: Racism, Sedition, Paranoia and Homophobia | ChattahBox News Blog . Hmmm?

In my first post, I was simply demonstrating how diversity does NOT necessarily translate into positive race-relations. You claimed that census stats could 'prove' that it is more 'integrated' where you are; and I showed that you were wrong (at least by my--and most peoples--defintion of the word 'integrated'. I'm not going to sit here and argue semantics, so if you measure racial integration purely by the extent to which different races live in the same neighborhoods, then yes, Greenville is probably more integrated than Rochester. By every other definition, you are on your own.
I see you're 21, and that you live in the 14621 ZIP. So, in your many years on this Earth, you've been all over, I take it. Nice personal attack, by the way.

You cite some obscure blog post as "proof" that Greenville is some awful, "racist" place. Yeah, I'd love to see where you end up in 10 years. We spent half a day over the weekend, downtown. Try doing that in Rochester without being bored to death, or being shaken down by a panhandler.

Ursula Burns? *yawn* The black middle class down here is larger, and earns more, then blacks up North (this is proven by hard stats). Let's see what the stats are for 14621:

Current Population: 34,494
2000 Population: 35,977
Households per Zip Code: 15,703
Average House Value: $52,000
Avg. Income Per Household: $22,107
Persons Per Household: 2.60
White Population: 11,962
Black Population: 15,578
Hispanic Population: 9,479
Asian Population: 805
Indian Population: 160
Hawaiian Population: 22
Other Population: 5,623
Male Population: 16,565
Female Population: 19,412
Median Age: 30.40 years
Male Median Age: 28.20 years
Female Median Age: 32.10 years
# Residential Mailboxes : 13,267

LMAO! I don't think there's a $52K house in this city, let alone houses one could get within the city limits of Rochester for $6K. $22K household income? Wow. The demographics are almost identical to our ZIP, yet the avg. home value here is $175K, and the avg. household income is around $70K.

Having left Rochester and seen quite a bit of the countryside, I can assure you there are plenty of nicer places than the 14621 ZIP.

Do us all a favor and go see parts of the country you're nor familiar with, before you make blanket judgments.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:25 PM

466 posts, read 982,532 times
Yeah, way to pick on one of the worst zip codes in Rochester. You proved nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area