Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 07:07 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,279 times

Advertisements

That 2nd paragraph sums up our region perfectly:

Quote:
Truth be told, Rochester's consistent ranking as one of the 20 best regional economies the past two years had more to do with profound weakness elsewhere than it did with any great strength here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 02:54 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Looks like Upstate will be falling behind Arkansas and Mississippi, again:

We're no longer an economic leader among U.S. metro areas | Democrat and Chronicle | democratandchronicle.com
well, obamasaclown; now we know what posts are yours on the D&C pages!

Old 03-21-2011, 09:59 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,449,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
well, obamasaclown; now we know what posts are yours on the D&C pages!
LOL, yeah, that's me.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:50 AM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Looks like Upstate will be falling behind Arkansas and Mississippi, again:

We're no longer an economic leader among U.S. metro areas | Democrat and Chronicle | democratandchronicle.com
One thing people forget with the Rochester metro is that out of the top 100 biggest metros in the country, the Rochester metro actually ranks in the high 60's in terms of government based employment. Meaning, that about two thirds of those top 100 metros have higher rates/percentages of government employment. So, private investment in terms of jobs in the area are higher than most major metros. This was discussed in the city vs. city section in the General US forum.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
One thing people forget with the Rochester metro is that out of the top 100 biggest metros in the country, the Rochester metro actually ranks in the high 60's in terms of government based employment. Meaning, that about two thirds of those top 100 metros have higher rates/percentages of government employment. So, private investment in terms of jobs in the area are higher than most major metros. This was discussed in the city vs. city section in the General US forum.
Correction, it is 55th according to the list. Interestingly, "hot" metros like Austin, San Antonio, Raleigh, Charleston, Columbia SC, the Tidewater area of VA and of course DC, rank higher. This doesn't include military related jobs either.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:49 AM

Interesting: Buffalo Gains Jobs | WKBW News 7: News, Sports, Weather | Buffalo, NY | Local (http://www.wkbw.com/news/local/biz-118416534.html - broken link)

and more info.: Sacramento depends most heavily on government jobs - Business First of Buffalo

Top 100 U.S. metros ranked by percentage of government jobs

Old 03-22-2011, 02:40 PM

5,707 posts, read 4,097,871 times
Quote:
Interesting: Buffalo Gains Jobs | WKBW News 7: News, Sports, Weather | Buffalo, NY | Local (http://www.wkbw.com/news/local/biz-118416534.html - broken link)

and more info.: Sacramento depends most heavily on government jobs - Business First of Buffalo

Top 100 U.S. metros ranked by percentage of government jobs

Yes, Buffalo got 2100 jobs. We got 3900 jobs.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:44 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Reality check: Raleigh isn't hot. Except if you're talking about summer weather.

Lots of people are suffering here, too. I hope no one moves down thinking they'll get a job.

Quote:
Correction, it is 55th according to the list. Interestingly, "hot" metros like Austin, San Antonio, Raleigh, Charleston, Columbia SC, the Tidewater area of VA and of course DC, rank higher. This doesn't include military related jobs either.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:45 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
brentwood, the fervor of "we all must move to NC" among many in WNY has died down a bit from what it was this past decade; to a certain degree at least. There are still some people who still think that the milder winters and lower property taxes will make the move heaven on earth; but it isn't as much of a mainstream ideal up here like it was a few years ago.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:46 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,279 times
I think the only reason it's cooled down a bit is because you can't really move anywhere right now and get a well paying job with little hassle. If you have no reason to move, well, you're probably not going to move. Unlike earlier last decade when the job market was strong down there and still weak up here and there was no reason to stay in Rochester.

I personally know 4 people who have all relocated to Charlotte and they couldn't be happier. They had jobs with TW Cable up here and transferred down there, and I highly, highly doubt they'll ever come back here unless circumstances absolutely dictate it. But they're people that enjoy milder weather and not worrying about snow, although this winter was quite the exception. However they don't have to worry about their weather for the most part and wonder if it's going to be cold and snowing going in to late April. For that, I'm personally envious. I hate this ****, and this latest blast of snow we got royally pissed me off, even more so my poor wife who drove almost an hour and a half to drive 13 miles from Henrietta to Greece, as opposed to her normal 20 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area