Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:25 PM

21 posts, read 36,606 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from Southern California to the Rochester area this summer. We are fairly certain we're going to buy in Pittsford, though Fairport and Brighton are still on our radar.

I'm really torn about location in Pittsford. We did live there briefly about 10 years ago, but our oldest was in private school and only in kinder then, so I never really explored the public schools, and middle/high school weren't on my radar at the time.

So, now we have kids in high school, middle, and primary and I really want to make the best choice for schools. I'm finding that the elementary schools all seem comparable and we're not too picky there.

I'd love to hear from some locals about the middle and high schools. When I spoke to someone from the district, she referred to Calkins as the "Taj Mahal". Is there really that much of a difference between the amenities of the two middle schools? I know it's brand new, but I can't imagine that residents would have accepted such a great difference in what the two offer. Do both have pools, gyms, auditoriums, etc? Have any improvements been made at Barker recently?

How do they compare academically? Teachers? General "vibe" at the school?

Same questions for the high schools. They seem to go back and forth on rankings, seems like they're pretty comparable...though I know Sutherland just got all of those improvements. Seems inbalanced, that Calkins/Sutherland are so much "nicer" than Barker/Mendon, so I feel like maybe I'm missing some information.

Any help you can provide would be great!! Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 06:48 AM

201 posts, read 648,367 times
I was born in Rochester, moved to Southern California and now am back in Rochester. Moving was a wonderful decision and every day I wish I had only done it sooner. I currently live in Brighton and in my view you really can't lose with any of the 3 places you mentioned. I am about to begin Graduate School so I really cannot comment adequately on schools in general, but as far as cities go you certainly have picked the best of what we can offer. Since I lived in CA myself I am always curious as to why people want to leave there and come here. If you don't mind sharing I would love to hear it. However, if it is for personal reasons I completely understand. Good luck. You seem like a nice and educated person. We are happy to have you.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:05 PM

I'm happy to share. We have many reasons...

If you lived here in So Cal, I'm sure you know how expensive homes are. The comparison is staggering. The homes in the area we live now range from 475-900k and come with no land..literally, you can pass the butter to the neighbors through the window. If you want a home with any land around it, you are going to pay dearly. My parents, for example have a 3700 sq home on 1/2 acre. It's had some updating, but needs a lot more, built in 1988. Their home appraises at over 1 million. That same house in Pittsford would run around 500k, I'm guessing, if that.

While on paper, our income is considered high, it just doesn't translate to a comfortable lifestyle here in So Cal.

The next, and probably most important reason is for the schools. California is in a downward spiral as far as education. We're in some of the best schools in the area and even here, we're seeing the impact of budget cuts. They are cutting things like PE, library, and the staffing is bare bones.
We only have music in elementary school if the PTA funds it, which is only one or two schools locally (luckily ours is one of them). Even then, it's once per week for 30 minutes.
While they do "art" as part of their classwork, they don't receive any art instruction, again, unless the PTA steps in.
They've cut language completely in the middle school, even since my oldest was there. So now, you don't get to take any language until you're a freshman, meaning you're behind many other parts of the country.
They have made huge cuts, almost completely de-funding the GATE (gifted and talented education) program, leaving it to the GATE parents to raise funds to provide any educational programming for these kids.
Basically, they've stripped everything they possibly can from the schools. They've cut the school year by 10 days in the last couple years as well. Our per-pupil spending ranks 48th in the nation. It's really a sad situation and we feel overwhelmingly that we can give our kids better.

Rochester has a lot of what we are looking for. Aside from the wonderful school in the eastern suburbs, and the great prices on homes, there are several things we love about the area. I LOVE to hike, row, kayak, etc and the area has a plethora of opportunities for that. Within 6 hours, you can visit several major cities and attractions, great for weekend get-aways. There are dozens of amazing colleges within this distance as well, something to consider for the future.

The weather, and actually having seasons, is something that is very appealing. I don't like the dry heat of the desert in So Cal and honestly, 80 degrees in February just isn't my idea of winter. I know it's humid there, as we spent a summer in Pittsford, but it never lasts too long before a nice summer storm comes and cools it down. Fall is just gorgeous and my kids are dying for a white winter...they are more excited about the move than I ever imagined they would be.

I love green...trees, plants, etc. It's only green here, where you make it green. Naturally, it's brown. I love the forest and lakes, and streams much more than the ocean, which you can look at, but I prefer not to go into. There's sharks in there, and it's salty... We'll always come out to CA to visit family, so we can get our fill of the parts of CA that we love, while being able to enjoy the natural beauty of western NY on a regular basis.

My husband is an independent film maker and plans to open a studio when we get there. He can rent space for a few hundred dollars and out here, it would cost thousands. There is a great art scene in Rochester and he's excited about the idea of operating outside of LA.

When we do a side-by-side comparison, there is just so many reasons why it's a better choice for our family. We can't think of a reason not to go..heck, you're even getting a Trader Joes!

Hope this answered your question. I for one, can't wait to get there.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:11 PM

120 posts, read 340,144 times
I can't speak to any of these districts from personal experience but being a native of the area and having lived here 44 of my almost 50 years here it goes.

A lot of people love Fairport. My opinion is the district and therefore the high school is very large especially in comparison to Pittsford and Brighton. Both Pittsford and Brighton have smaller districts. I live in the city whi and assuming we stay in the Rochester area plan on a move to Brighton in the next couple of years. My 11yo daughter participated in an arts program there last summer and will do it again this year. She loved the kids and the teachers. Almost all of the kids were Brighton students and all of the summer staff was Brighton Arts Staff.

We have many friends that have left the city for Brighton and love it there. Brighton is closer to the city and what it has to offer.

That being said Pittsford is lovely with a lot of great green space and again, great schools.

Have you looked into Victor? Victor is in Ontario County and "bumps" into Perinton (which is the town the village of Fairport is located in). It has some great homes, I also have friends and co-workers in the Victor district and they are very pleased with what the schools offer. With the main "highway" going out to Victor you're only 20 minutes from downtown Rochester.

That all being said, New York too is feeling the budget crunch but definitely not to the extent you are talking about in California and definitely not in the above mentioned districts.

If you end up moving out here keep us posted and we can give you tips on things to do with your family in the area, although it sounds like you have already done a lot of research there.

good luck

Old 03-14-2012, 05:28 PM

Thank you! I know of Victor for it's awesome mall and shopping at Target. It looks like it's grown a lot in the ten years since we lived there, I'll have to take another look.

I definitely will let you know, thanks!

Old 03-15-2012, 06:24 AM

201 posts, read 648,367 times
I agree 100% about the schooling system. My personal opinion is that education has taken a back seat and caters to those who come to CA from other countries and don't speak English. I had to stop pursuing a Master's Degree in English at CSUN when I was there because we sat around and learned Spanish all day in my Poetry class. If the students are not making progress schools will lose funding and cut budgets. I agree with you. This is a problem no one likes to discuss because they are afraid of being called racist, when really the facts speak for themselves. It was a confusing time in my life.

As far as home prices go they are absolutly out of line. I always liked living in a popular part of the world with people saying, "Wow you're from Los Angeles? Neat!" It's not so neat when my family had to put our rent on their credit cards, we ate white rice for dinner and declared bankruptcy.

Things are much better for us now as far as friends, activities and just living day to day. You will be happy with your move and we are glad to have you.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:03 AM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Another area that I think gets underrated or overlooked is the western Irondequoit area. Schools are still very good and is close to things in the city of Rochester like the zoo and Charlotte with its beach.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:33 AM

117 posts, read 434,480 times
hey there

I thought I would respond to the original question regarding the middle schools and high schools.....I think that you cannot go wrong either way...they are both strong in every respect. As far as Calkins being the Taj....you do get a bit of that and the kids will sometimes feel like they are missing out on something if they are at Barker...it is a point of contention among middle schoolers....having said that, I have two kids at Barker and one at Mendon and we just moved back here three years ago after moving away for 2 years...we knew the area well and chose to return to the Mendon side. It is my belief (and that of many of the educators and support staff) that Barker is a more supportive and school spirited environment. Calkins only opened 5 years ago...before that all the teachers were at Barker. When the time came to move teachers over many of the best teachers chose to stay at Barker with the principal (Mike Pero, who has since moved to central admin) even though it was an older building. The staff there is amazing and kids in general are encouraged to strive to be their best. We are also quite happy with Mendon...we find it challenging but supportive and inclusive...

10 years ago Mendon was the "nice" school now it is Sutherland...in ten years it will be Mendon's turn again At the end of the day, all the facilities are clean, maintained...they all have the computer labs etc... but it is true that Calkins and Sutherland are "nicer" looking at this point....

If I were making the decision I would pick the house and the neighborhood that feels best for my family and know that all the schools are excellent.

HTH

Theresa

Old 03-16-2012, 01:00 PM

Thank you so much Theresa. That is great insight. It's challenging, being that we're looking at houses online rather than in person. I think we'll be out there the beginning of May to look in person and hopefully, put in an offer. You're right, I think we'll know the right neighborhood when we see it...

So, what about Brighton? We're curious about that area as well. I"ve read its a better school district than Pittsford...could this be correct? Also, seems like they have more to offer in the way of music and performing arts... Would anyone be able to give some insight on that?

Old 03-17-2012, 10:04 AM

117 posts, read 434,480 times
Pittsford and Brighton are very very different....but both are excellent...Pittsford usually ranks a bit higher overall but Brighton would be a good choice as well..I think it would come down to what type of community you are interested in...Brighton is much more urban in feel...smaller pieces of property and older homes and a very diverse student population (I mean that in a good way )...Pittsford is more open and has lots of green spaces...you are regularly driving by corn fields. I cant speak to Brighton's programs in the arts but my kids have been involved in band, orchestra, and several of the musicals and we have been happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area