Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2014, 04:00 PM

18 posts, read 24,579 times

Advertisements

But the northern pay scale is so much better. The southern col is over rated from what I have heard. I will give you gas prices are much better in the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 04:10 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,319,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeps77 View Post
But the northern pay scale is so much better. The southern col is over rated from what I have heard. I will give you gas prices are much better in the south.
It depends on the field of work. In the Charleston forum, I've seen more, less, and the same with the diversity of jobs that people have.

Personally I'd rather make less and live in a cool place than make more and live in a crappy place. I did just that actually. Money does not buy happiness. I know that first hand.

Not sure what you meant by "Southern col".

Old 01-25-2014, 05:09 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,988 times
^ I think he/she meant cost of living

Another thing I will add is that there is a huge difference in coastal areas and inland areas. The inland Northeast, to be frank, kinda sucks. The vibe and feel of places like Portland, Boston, Providence, VA Beach, and Charleston is much happier and more fun. It is just great to be near the ocean, plain and simple. People just feel better, tend to be outdoors more, are healthier from the sunlight, and more relaxed.

Lets think about inland cities- Rochester, Manchester, Worcester, Hartford, Albany, all the Thruway cities, Allentown, PA; Harrisburg, etc....all kinda work-a-day boring cities that people do not vacation in or are happy to go to.

I lived 1/2 mile from the beach on the Southern NJ coastline and now live inland but still in NJ. While this area is ok, the coastal scene is just so much more vibrant and happy. No matter where I end up, it must be a coastal state and I'd like to live as close to the coast as possible.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:56 PM

14 posts, read 18,821 times
Bottom line: lack of quality jobs in Rochester, NY

Old 01-25-2014, 06:01 PM

93,402 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
What city in the US doesn't have "a lot of ethnic European culture and a long time black community that came to the area in various ways"?
It depends on the region/state/area. Perhaps I should have been more specific in terms of groups, but I think you know which groups they are.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRochesterian View Post
Bottom line: lack of quality jobs in Rochester, NY
This will depend on a lot of factors, but of course it could be better.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post

Another thing I will add is that there is a huge difference in coastal areas and inland areas. The inland Northeast, to be frank, kinda sucks. The vibe and feel of places like Portland, Boston, Providence, VA Beach, and Charleston is much happier and more fun. It is just great to be near the ocean, plain and simple. People just feel better, tend to be outdoors more, are healthier from the sunlight, and more relaxed.

Lets think about inland cities- Rochester, Manchester, Worcester, Hartford, Albany, all the Thruway cities, Allentown, PA; Harrisburg, etc....all kinda work-a-day boring cities that people do not vacation in or are happy to go to.

I lived 1/2 mile from the beach on the Southern NJ coastline and now live inland but still in NJ. While this area is ok, the coastal scene is just so much more vibrant and happy. No matter where I end up, it must be a coastal state and I'd like to live as close to the coast as possible.
There are people that like lakes, waterfalls, canyons and mountains/hills. So, even that will vary.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There are people that like lakes, waterfalls, canyons and mountains/hills. So, even that will vary.
Very well said. Believe it or not a lot of Rochester natives wouldn't want a longer summer. They live and thrive on the winter weather and activities.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:24 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,319,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post

Ahh, Cost of Living. Even so, I think they meant to say Quality of Life (QOL), which yes, my quality of life has improved as many may experience. Cost of Living is actually more expensive on the coast but cheaper in the South, so it balances out around here.

Living By The Ocean Is Good For Your Health, Expert Says

Old 01-25-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
It depends on the field of work. In the Charleston forum, I've seen more, less, and the same with the diversity of jobs that people have.

Personally I'd rather make less and live in a cool place than make more and live in a crappy place. I did just that actually. Money does not buy happiness. I know that first hand.

Not sure what you meant by "Southern col".
Yes I would agree money isn't happiness. Red Ants, High humidity and alligators isn't happiness to me. With that said it isn't a wrong way of life either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area