Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 01:37 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Couple days later, I was driving back from Atlantic City in the 3-4 AM range, meandered up a pleasantly deserted state route for a while, then hit the 'pike as I got closer to the NYC area...and was immediately bombarded with people doing an average of 75-80 at 5-5:30 AM.
They seem to drive really fast anywhere north of Atlantic City on the Parkway, I think North Jersey and New York city drivers spend so much time in traffic, they get carried away with the joy of the open roads farther away from North York City / North Jersey. As for enforcement, I guess there's just not enough police to make much of a dent in the problem. What I think what really needs to happen is set up automated speed traps randomly along limited access highways and just mail violators the speeding tickets. The existing method of enforcement just isn't working, I often see cars zipping in and out of traffic going 100mph, like it's there own personal Nascar race track, it's dangerous for everyone on the roads.

I actually enjoy the slower speeds, I occasionally have to catch myself to slow down when I start to drift near the 70 MPH zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 10:45 AM

116 posts, read 622,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Overall, I'm pretty happy about moving up here. The weather sucked all month but everyone up here says it's been a weird winter.

I really think the negative posts about upstate made me think I was moving to a crime ridden, economically depressed wasteland. I'm not seeing many junk cars on the road, parking lots have customers and no one looks like a hobo. I actually find it very clean, the stores are updated, people are nice, dress well and tbh, people seem more fit. I'm not seeing many morbidly obese people, it's either normal weight or average overweight. It feels much more positive than Orange County. It's an upgrade for my qol.

The town I'm living in is a little too slow for me, I don't hate it but I definitely wouldn't buy a house here. So far, I like Canandaigua best but I've barely explored. I've been in Rochester, Newark and most of the areas south of Rochester in Monroe, Ontario, Wayne and Livingston county.

The only thing is I wish there was an easier way to meet people. I used CL platonic personals and had luck in the hv but CL got rid of that. Maybe summer will make it easier.

Food prices are hit or miss. Some things were cheaper downstate but the things that are cheaper here are way cheaper. Milk is $4 there and $2 here. Gas seems the same price.

Driving is so easy. I'm trying to stay off the highways so I can learn other ways. There's barely even traffic.

I give it 8/10!
Glad it's working for you.

People who hate Rochester and focused on the city. And the city is a dump, nobody can deny it. There's about 50 shootings every minute, just don't bother with it.

The suburbs and rural counties are safe, beautiful, with excellent schools, and they are well run.

I have multiple citizenships and my wife and I have jobs that are extremely mobile. We also have no family in the area, and yet we still choose quite willingly to stay here to raise our family (been here 12 years now).

Old 08-24-2018, 11:03 AM

93,388 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWilliams View Post

People who hate Rochester and focused on the city. And the city is a dump, nobody can deny it. There's about 50 shootings every minute, just don't bother with it.

The suburbs and rural counties are safe, beautiful, with excellent schools, and they are well run.

I have multiple citizenships and my wife and I have jobs that are extremely mobile. We also have no family in the area, and yet we still choose quite willingly to stay here to raise our family (been here 12 years now).
Nah, the city has a range of neighborhoods that you would find in most US cities. This is likely a post to incite responses.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:17 PM

5,707 posts, read 4,097,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWilliams View Post

There's about 50 shootings every minute.
And this is a fact?
I don't think so. Even in Chicago

Old 08-25-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
And this is a fact?
I don't think so. Even in Chicago
LMGTFY

Old 08-25-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Nah, the city has a range of neighborhoods that you would find in most US cities. This is likely a post to incite responses.
Yep, those neighborhoods are called the suburbs.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 08-31-2018 at 01:10 AM..

Old 08-25-2018, 07:23 AM

[quote=JWilliams;52903509]Yep, those neighborhoods are called the suburbs.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Again, no. The SE Quadrant and outer portions of the other quadrants aresolid to very nice. So, even within the city, neighborhoods vary.

Yeah and the 50 shootings statement is an exaggeration and Neighborhood Scout is somewhat suspect given some of their rankings in the past. I’d say the same thing about this site in terms of some stats too.

Last edited by Yac; 08-31-2018 at 01:10 AM..

Old 08-03-2021, 08:40 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBenny View Post
If you're looking for subs/hoagies, Dibellas or Wegmans are both good and pretty accessible. There are also many smaller delis that make good sandwiches, but that will end up being more area dependent, so you might have to do some trial and error wherever you work and live.

I've recently found out a chain called Byrne Dairy was opening a location near me. It sounds very similar to a Wawa or Steeters, but never seen one before, despite they have 62 locations, all in New York State.

Old 08-03-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I've recently found out a chain called Byrne Dairy was opening a location near me. It sounds very similar to a Wawa or Steeters, but never seen one before, despite they have 62 locations, all in New York State.
They are based in Syracuse, where they have been a long time local chain. In recent years, they’ve updated and expanded in terms of locations and physical size. Solid/good dairy products like milk and ice cream. With the milk, you can still get it in a glass container, like the olden days. They now have hot food, which is a relatively new thing for them(about 10 years or so).

They also have manufacturing facilities in East Syracuse and Cortland.

Old 08-03-2021, 11:22 AM

5,707 posts, read 4,097,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I think they are starting to expand in Rochester now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area