Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 03:27 PM

Location: The bustling, world-renowned downtown of Pataskala, OH
188 posts, read 197,958 times

Advertisements

Was it over/underwhelming, did any aspect of the city catch you off guard? Biggest surprise/dissapointment? How did those first impressions pan out as you got acclimated to living there? In other words, is the cover indicative of the book?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 05:40 PM

205 posts, read 246,978 times
Surprised (and dismayed) by the endless 95+ degree days; horrified by the gun violence.
Pleased that I could make a living playing music.
2 other things I never realized about Houston before moving here: the food and the beauty. (*wipes away a bead of sweat*)

Old 10-23-2011, 06:34 PM

208 posts, read 270,141 times
"Atleast they have Ikea."

Old 10-23-2011, 07:02 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egamakaded idiut View Post
Was it over/underwhelming, did any aspect of the city catch you off guard? Biggest surprise/dissapointment? How did those first impressions pan out as you got acclimated to living there? In other words, is the cover indicative of the book?
Overwhelming.

Traffic, everything seemed crowded, flooding,too many people, too many highways, and more.

I had visited Houston many times before moving here, but visiting and living will always offer you two different experiences. I wasn't disappointed; just homesick and was missing the quieter, less hectic lifestyle of my home town. I adjusted to everything quickly though because I knew about all these things ,but too experience it was another thing. The biggest things for me was finding a new barber, places to eat, shop, party, etc

Now I love it here, but still miss somethings about home.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:25 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Coming from KC, STL and San Antonio...

- Houston is big as h...., doesn't bother me. It just feels like a lot of cities right next to each other.
- Love the Cajun food
- Love the lack of zoning (very pro-small business)
- Love the job market for engineers
- Love being close to the beach
- I was in a little bit of a culture shock when I was in Sugar Land with the huge middle eastern and asian population in that area.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:11 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,175,701 times
"Damn! It's hot!"
Great restaurants.
Housing was relatively cheap.
Real friendly neighbors.
Traffic sux.
"What's that stuff growing on the side of my house??!!"

Ronnie

Old 10-24-2011, 11:17 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,582 times
I like Houston now, but I didn't like it at all at first. I was suprised at how dirty it is, how ghetto the average Houstonian is, and how bad service is in many places. I came from Charlotte which is very clean, friendly, and kind of upper middle class. I am not pushing Charlotte because I like it here much better.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:35 AM

18 posts, read 242,624 times
Cheap houses, Great restaurant and shopping, too hot to do anything outdoor in the summer, and lots of ghetto people.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:18 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,582 times
I am really not trying to be critical, but what great restaurants are people talking about? I see Houston cuisine as mostly chain food and Mexican restaurants. Please enlighten me. I want to go to these places you guys talk about.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:06 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
I am really not trying to be critical, but what great restaurants are people talking about? I see Houston cuisine as mostly chain food and Mexican restaurants. Please enlighten me. I want to go to these places you guys talk about.
Try getting off the freeway sometime. There are numerous authentic Cajun, Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian, Thai, Salvadorean, Argentinean, etc places throughout the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston