Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2014, 06:42 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,070 times

Advertisements

People who use the ignore feature are passive, weak, and spineless creatures who fear anything and everything they don't agree with or do not understand, and should be eradicated from society as all they do is perpetuate weakness.

On that note, winter in Rochester fusking sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 07:06 AM

466 posts, read 982,532 times
LOL or people who prefer to not waste their time with trolls.

Speaking of "weak", those are the people who complain or can't handle a Rochester winter.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:54 PM

98 posts, read 163,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
We've traveled all over yet still live here. The gray (and it is gray) just makes me appreciate the other seasons more! I like the "cozy" factor--it's time for relaxing and indulging in comfort food.

I have to be honest though. I tolerate it more now that I'm retired and I can look out the window, say "Isn't the snow pretty," then roll over and go back to sleep!

The cold, snow, and gray are not for everyone.
exactly, cold weather and gray, overcast days certainly arent for everyone but i definately appreciate the cozyness of it. if you're not an outdoors person you could really enjoy it. hell, im in san diego now where most people consider that perfect weather, but at times i think i miss the cold, rainy, cozy days.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:08 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
People who use the ignore feature are passive, weak, and spineless creatures who fear anything and everything they don't agree with or do not understand, and should be eradicated from society as all they do is perpetuate weakness.
You mean like people who are chronic complainers and are either too weak to change their perspective or too weak to move on to someplace they can be happier?

Old 09-03-2014, 12:07 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,070 times
Nope.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:53 PM

355 posts, read 390,746 times
Or do you mean the people whom moved from Rochester down south then returned. Now their mission is to praise Rochester and exaggerate how bad the south is?

Old 09-11-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotstoboiledpenuts View Post
Or do you mean the people whom moved from Rochester down south then returned. Now their mission is to praise Rochester and exaggerate how bad the south is?
I think it's a fair assumption to say there are far more people who come here to simply criticize Rochester about anything and everything. It's a sad, and weird, thing to do.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:44 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
No place is for everyone. I lived in Rochester until about 27, and when I left, I did so with excitement and perhaps some overly critical judgement about the area. After living in Richmond for 8 years, my wife and I are now moving to Philadelphia. I can more clearly see the things I like about Rochester and Richmond. Same thing with the things I still don't like (like Rochester's winters and Richmond's social indirect-ness).

Those that love Rochester may boost at times, but I enjoy the optimism. I think it takes pride and optimism to make a place better. Few that I've seen boost so much that they ignore the ills, so it's not like there isn't recognition of where improvement is needed. Chronic pessimism does zero good IMO. If you're aware of the ills, then that's fine, but dwelling on them does no one good. However, I can also understand not liking where you live and the chronic complaining can be a faucet for relieving the pressure/frustration. At the end of the day, moving on if you're not happy is best...if you can do it. If you can't, might as well focus on what you do like about the place.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
No place is for everyone. I lived in Rochester until about 27, and when I left, I did so with excitement and perhaps some overly critical judgement about the area. After living in Richmond for 8 years, my wife and I are now moving to Philadelphia. I can more clearly see the things I like about Rochester and Richmond. Same thing with the things I still don't like (like Rochester's winters and Richmond's social indirect-ness).

Those that love Rochester may boost at times, but I enjoy the optimism. I think it takes pride and optimism to make a place better. Few that I've seen boost so much that they ignore the ills, so it's not like there isn't recognition of where improvement is needed. Chronic pessimism does zero good IMO. If you're aware of the ills, then that's fine, but dwelling on them does no one good. However, I can also understand not liking where you live and the chronic complaining can be a faucet for relieving the pressure/frustration. At the end of the day, moving on if you're not happy is best...if you can do it. If you can't, might as well focus on what you do like about the place.
Reasonable position. Unfortunately, like I said, the people who complain constantly have zero credibility and are generally here to troll and criticize anything and everything. More than anything to me, it's weird.

I "boost" for Rochester, but I am more than aware of its shortcomings. I don't like everything about Rochester and some things are pretty frustrating. But I don't think that is any different than anywhere else. I know plenty of people who have moved on from Rochester. They ALL have complaints about their new homes. They like where they live, but acknowledge the issues. If you can't find any positives about Rochester, and hate it to the point of spending time on message boards to constantly put down the area, your problems are likely much bigger than Rochester.

Old 11-27-2014, 11:03 AM

19 posts, read 47,512 times
Default I would advise against moving back to Rochester

I lived for 35 years in Rochester NY and I am very thankful to be gone from there. Great lakes weather is the worst in the nation - no contest. Lots and lots of cloudy and overcast days - lots of cold cold weather, lots of precipitation. It is not conducive to good living... and I believe it only gets more difficult as you age. I am suspicious of people who claim to love living in such an environment. I think it is just an attempt to rationalize the downsides because one is so deeply rooted there that moving seems a near impossibility.

Rochester would be a great city (a really great city) if it were not for its location. That is the truth. Instead it is one of the least desirable places in the nation to live - and I do not exaggerate. I have experience - lots of it.

Even the Hudson valley of New York state is significantly better weather-wise than, not just Rochester, but the whole of western NY state. Stay away from Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse and all points in between. Quality of life is seriously diminished by the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area