Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2014, 05:07 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^Incorrect, but if you say so. NC also varies and the area wasn't mentioned.
What state doesn't vary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 05:13 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,793 times
Quote:
Corn Hill, the Oldest Residential Neighborhood in Rochester, NY, is located on the banks of the Genesee River and a short stroll from the city's vibrant business district. Once known as the Third Ward, Corn Hill is a showplace of historic architecture, manicured streets and inviting parks. We are a congenial and diverse community of 2,000 neighbors, each committed to the stewardship of Corn Hill.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:28 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Corn Hill, the Oldest Residential Neighborhood in Rochester, NY, is located on the banks of the Genesee River and a short stroll from the city's vibrant business district. Once known as the Third Ward, Corn Hill is a showplace of historic architecture, manicured streets and inviting parks. We are a congenial and diverse community of 2,000 neighbors, each committed to the stewardship of Corn Hill.
Except that they can't fix the city school system, so buying there is only for the childless or people who budget for private schooling.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Except that they can't fix the city school system, so buying there is only for the childless or people who budget for private schooling.
I don't disagree with this one bit about the school system in the city. The city school system is a real problem. There are good charter schools in the city but the public school system needs fixing. They are trying to improve it but there is a cultural problem with some of the kids that needs to be solved. I really hope this is a serious focus. I actually have quite a few ideas on what can be done and I think Vargas is really trying hard such as literally going to the homes of delinquent kids.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:33 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
They are trying to improve it but there is a cultural problem with some of the kids that needs to be solved. I really hope this is a serious focus. I actually have quite a few ideas on what can be done and I think Vargas is really trying hard such as literally going to the homes of delinquent kids.
Good luck on that. It's not working anywhere in the US urban areas now.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Good luck on that. It's not working anywhere in the US urban areas now.
I don't disagree with this either. But it doesn't mean it requires a defeatist attitude.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:45 PM

606 posts, read 903,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
This isn't at all surprising to me, and its what I've been talking about on here for the last few pages. For some reason (I believe it is for no other reasons than to keep warm bodies in the state paying taxes), several NYer's here refuse to give relocators accurate information regarding housing costs and taxes. Its sad.

One guy is on here is trying to sell the idea that car taxes cost as much as property taxes, a difference of about $54,000 over 10 years. SMH...

All I've been trying to do is keep it real and keep it honest. The same people will tout NY schools like this is 1980 and Boss Hogg is running the local Southern one-room schoolhouse. Thanks for your input.

I think NY likes to keep it confusing as far as the taxes go with things like the STAR program. I like that it's just cut and dry down here.

If car taxes were thousands of dollars a year I don't think most people could afford to have a car down here!

Corn Hill might be trendy and nice but now you have to add several thousand dollars per kid per year in taxes to pay for private school. I have 4 kids, what's that equal? $20k+ a year? Not worth it.

I live in Cary, NC. I live in an older part of Cary. If I were to compare houses between ROC and here I'd try to find comparable areas. For instance, the Preston part of Cary is probably comparable to Pittsford. Wake Forest, I'd probably compare more to Spencerport, not a house in the '12 of Greece. That's what I meant by apples and oranges. My part of Cary is closer to a Greece vibe to me. Lol.

Sorry, I combined all my responses to everyone in this one post. I'm on my phone posting (which is not smart for long response!)

Old 12-31-2014, 12:39 AM

93,241 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies1375 View Post
I think NY likes to keep it confusing as far as the taxes go with things like the STAR program. I like that it's just cut and dry down here.

If car taxes were thousands of dollars a year I don't think most people could afford to have a car down here!

Corn Hill might be trendy and nice but now you have to add several thousand dollars per kid per year in taxes to pay for private school. I have 4 kids, what's that equal? $20k+ a year? Not worth it.

I live in Cary, NC. I live in an older part of Cary. If I were to compare houses between ROC and here I'd try to find comparable areas. For instance, the Preston part of Cary is probably comparable to Pittsford. Wake Forest, I'd probably compare more to Spencerport, not a house in the '12 of Greece. That's what I meant by apples and oranges. My part of Cary is closer to a Greece vibe to me. Lol.

Sorry, I combined all my responses to everyone in this one post. I'm on my phone posting (which is not smart for long response!)
Comparisons were home to home and what is comparable to an area like Churchville-Chili down there? Looking at the neighborhoods of each of the homes posted, they looked pretty similar in terms of a comparison.

If your section of arguably that area's most affluent suburb is "like Greece", what does that say about Wake Forest or at least those neighborhoods in WF?

To be fair, the other poster did state that children and schools weren't in consider for them either.

No one said that car/vehicle taxes were equivalent, but that they are a form of personal property tax that isn't available here. That isn't included in the real property tax figures either. If you look at the census information posted, it shows how much the median mortgage is by area and the owner home costs(post mortgage). That information may surprise folks, but it also is what it is, isn't much of one given home prices and can serve as a barometer. Not the be all, end all, but a barometer.

Here is census tract info for the WF, Greece and Chili homes.
WF home 1: Census Tract 054206 in Wake County, North Carolina

WF home 2: Census Tract 054204 in Wake County, North Carolina

Greece home: Census Tract 013507 in Monroe County, New York

Chili home: Census Tract 014601 in Monroe County, New York

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-31-2014 at 02:06 AM..

Old 12-31-2014, 02:21 AM

93,241 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Comparisons were home to home and what is comparable to an area like Churchville-Chili down there? Looking at the neighborhoods of each of the homes posted, they looked pretty similar in terms of a comparison.

If your section of arguably that area's most affluent suburb is "like Greece", what does that say about Wake Forest or at least those neighborhoods in WF?

To be fair, the other poster did state that children and schools weren't in consider for them either.

No one said that car/vehicle taxes were equivalent, but that they are a form of personal property tax that isn't available here. That isn't included in the real property tax figures either. If you look at the census information posted, it shows how much the median mortgage is by area and the owner home costs(post mortgage). That information may surprise folks, but it also is what it is, isn't much of one given home prices and can serve as a barometer. Not the be all, end all, but a barometer.

Here is census tract info for the WF, Greece and Chili homes.
WF home 1: Census Tract 054206 in Wake County, North Carolina

WF home 2: Census Tract 054204 in Wake County, North Carolina

Greece home(Whispering Pines): Census Tract 013507 in Monroe County, New York

Chili home: Census Tract 014601 in Monroe County, New York
Greece(Rangers Ct): Census Tract 013603 in Monroe County, New York

Atkinson: Census Tract 009500 in Monroe County, New York

Cary(Preston): Census Tract 053604 in Wake County, North Carolina
Perhaps another census tract for that area: Census Tract 053603 in Wake County, North Carolina
Can find info for other Preston area census tracts as well.

All information can be verified by the US Census American FactFinder website as well. That website allows you to view info for any census division by address too. It even includes average commute times for the census tracts and even breaks it down further by time frame in the Income and Careers section.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-31-2014 at 02:50 AM..

Old 12-31-2014, 06:15 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,083,204 times
/\

Answering your own posts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area