Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 08:42 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Actually, now that the IL is gone it is really thriving. Ask the owners of the houses that were located next to the Inner Loop. Hideous piece of garbage poorly thought out. Good riddance!
You noticed that when they responded to the post with an example of development associated with the removal of a portion of the Loop, they didn't do it directly, as it would offer a direct YouTube video of said development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2022, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What high volume traffic road are you referring to, as there are still some within the city, even if you remove the Inner Loop? You aren't the only one paying for it and many that do are impacted by it directly on an everyday basis.

Actually, the land itself, would be used for development, like the portion that already has been removed. There has been development there already. An example of this: https://theurbanphoenix.com/2020/02/...erloopvictory/ (shout out to The Urban Phoenix, btw)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIy_Uma4Hgw

Those areas are removed and actually retained their character as a quarter of the city that still has a pretty substantial middle class population. If anything, it proves a point in terms of prime real estate in the city right by Downtown, as it could extend its development to those other parts of the city. In essence, creating a bigger core by reconnecting the city. Meaning, not just the land occupied by the Loop, but beyond it.
A more direct way to view development that has occurred already in the attached post.

Old 03-13-2022, 07:50 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,120 times
This must be one of the top topics in every university planning department.

Syracuse next. But a lot more difficult than the Inner Loop project.

Old 03-13-2022, 08:04 AM

5,707 posts, read 4,097,871 times
Quote:

I'd wait and see how the north section turns out. The eastern section had development right up to the edge of the loop, and the development is all private investment. The northern section has no development adjacent to the loop and I haven't heard of any developers interested.

Maybe the universities should study how some cities have no problem Strattling over rivers, and roadways.
I'm sure you will find it's a stronger economy

Old 03-13-2022, 08:14 AM

Quote:
You obviously didn't read the information associated with the sections of the map or put 2 and 2 together in regards to later residential patterns. Come on man...
I see who authored it, so one can predict the conclusion. What I got out of your map is that Blacks were "redlined" against home ownership in the neighborhoods destroyed by the expressway, so I guess the Italians were the ones to lose their homes

Old 03-13-2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I see who authored it, so one can predict the conclusion. What I got out of your map is that Blacks were "redlined" against home ownership in the neighborhoods destroyed by the expressway, so I guess the Italians were the ones to lose their homes
Not at the time of construction, as the demographics changed later within those redlined areas, as the city’s black population took off after World War 2. In turn, those neighborhoods changed as suburban development was starting as well.

With all of this said, even if you take the redlining and other associated aspects out of it, that land could be used to be put on the tax rolls as well with development. Especially given the Downtown momentum and wanting to carry that over into other neighborhoods by creating essentially new developments like those given in the video.

Old 03-13-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:

Actually, this is why I’m illustrating why cities do this, as Syracuse is doing something similar in regards to I-81’s elevated portion in between Downtown and University Hill.

You make a good point, as Rochester is more of an issue of infill versus taking a portion of highway down and having to adjust ground level and highway infrastructure.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-13-2022 at 10:57 AM..

Old 03-13-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Actually, this is why I’m illustrating why cities do this, as Syracuse is doing something similar in regards to I-81’s elevated portion in between Downtown and University Hill.

You make a good point, as Rochester is more of an issue of infill versus taking a portion of highway down and having to adjust ground level and highway infrastructure.
The I 81 project is simple.

-Swap routes I481 and I81
-481 from the north reduces to a surface road
-481 from the south becomes a surface road
-All though traffic flows on the I81 (formally I481)
-The elevated highway is removed and neighborhood built

Old 03-13-2022, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
The I 81 project is simple.

-Swap routes I481 and I81
-481 from the north reduces to a surface road
-481 from the south becomes a surface road
-All though traffic flows on the I81 (formally I481)
-The elevated highway is removed and neighborhood built
They will have to expand 481 from its southern connection with I-81 up to about up to its northern connection with 81. Yes, 481 will be for those just driving through, while 81 becomes a surface road essentially through the city. I’m thinking that the time table just for taking the elevated portion and expanding 481 may take quite a while.

With that said, if done right, this would be an example of how to connect core neighborhoods with development.

Old 03-13-2022, 01:25 PM

Quote:
They will have to expand 481 from its southern connection with I-81 up to about up to its northern connection with 81. Yes, 481 will be for those just driving through, while 81 becomes a surface road essentially through the city. I’m thinking that the time table just for taking the elevated portion and expanding 481 may take quite a while.

With that said, if done right, this would be an example of how to connect core neighborhoods with development.
I've been hearing about this for years. What progress has been made?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area