Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2022, 11:26 AM

224 posts, read 136,785 times

Advertisements

There are so many wonderful parks in this area. Please share your opinions and tips on how the various parks are best enjoyed. For example maybe one is best for exercise, another is best for views, one is perfect for picnics, another is great for walking dogs... stuff like that. Or give tips on how to access certain highlights within a park (which trail to take in order to reach a cool spot, that kind of thing.) Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2022, 01:56 PM

I love the fish hatchery at Powder Mills Park!

My favorite thing about Cobb's Hill Park is the view of the city skyline.

Ellison Park seems popular for picnics. I can't wait to try the ice skating rink this winter!

Tinker Park has creative exercise apparatus along the walking path. I saw pictures of fairy doors at this park but haven't found them yet. No dogs allowed at Tinker.

Mendon Ponds Park is enormous. It will take many visits to explore the various areas.

Veterans Memorial Park (Henrietta) is quite pleasant. The loop is a nice distance for walking an older dog like my sweet girl.

Next one I want to check out is Highland Park (I've passed by many times but haven't yet spent time in the park, it looks lovely!)

Old 09-09-2022, 02:19 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,103,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart NY View Post
I love the fish hatchery at Powder Mills Park!

My favorite thing about Cobb's Hill Park is the view of the city skyline.

Ellison Park seems popular for picnics. I can't wait to try the ice skating rink this winter!

Tinker Park has creative exercise apparatus along the walking path. I saw pictures of fairy doors at this park but haven't found them yet. No dogs allowed at Tinker.

Mendon Ponds Park is enormous. It will take many visits to explore the various areas.

Veterans Memorial Park (Henrietta) is quite pleasant. The loop is a nice distance for walking an older dog like my sweet girl.

Next one I want to check out is Highland Park (I've passed by many times but haven't yet spent time in the park, it looks lovely!)
I've been wanting to respond, but I see You are figuring things out yourself.

Highland Park is best experienced in the spring when the lilacs are blooming, but any time is still good. There is an amphitheater, with occasional shows.

If walking is your thing, keep in mind all of the hiking trails. Many, but not all are along the canal and Genesee River. In fact there's a great one at Turning Point Park.

Old 09-09-2022, 02:39 PM

Oh my gosh I just looked up pictures of Turning Point Park and the boardwalk over the water looks amazing! I love boardwalks like that. Thanks JWRocks!

Old 09-27-2022, 08:20 PM

8,505 posts, read 4,750,085 times
The arboretum by Durand beach in Irondequoit is amazing. There’s so much there, but it’s all explorable, accessible, and hey! There’s a beach minutes away! As someone who likes to wander parks barefoot, it’s also pretty friendly for that. There’s one space where some kind of flowers grow…not sure what, but good grief, if you’re within 30ft of them the scent is amazing.

That trail by the river up around Maplewood Park and going past Seneca Park Zoo is nice too. Yeah it’s a little bit city, but it’s got some great crossings and views.

Greece Canal Park is another fave. More boring and suburban, but lots of different venues, it’s clean and quiet, and has access to the canal trail. Those are just the ones I got around to seeing in this, my first six months here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area