Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 08:42 AM

24 posts, read 145,663 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to the Rochester area and looking to move to an area close to the thruway. We come from a great school district and hope to find a school that compares. We heard great things about the Victor school district but I would like to consider other areas too. Most important is schools. We also would like to buy a home in a more established area where the homes have more property and trees, but also in a neighborhood. Not a house planted on a small lot where the houses are right on top of one another. We would like a to live in an area that has a quaint town feel to it, but not a town that is in the middle of nowhere. I would appreciate some help--thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 05:22 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,586,180 times
Just curious...why is proximity to the thruway such a priority? It is a toll road and isn't very convenient for getting around the Rochester area in general. If you are going to be commuting to Buffalo or Syracuse on a regular basis (the only reason I'd see needing to be near the thruway), then I guess the only other larger town that I-90 passes through would be Henrietta.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:23 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Or maybe Canandaigua. It's close to the Thruway and has it's own vibe. Also, they are rivals to Victor.

District - Canandaigua City School District

Canandaigua Chamber of Commerce : Supporting tourism, a healthy business climate and responsible economic growth.

Canandaigua New York

Canandaigua, NY -- The City of Canandaigua Government's Official Website

Town of Canandaigua Web Site

Some other towns that might fit the cirteria are Pittsford, the Honeoye Falls-Lima area, Manchester-Shortsville area(Red Jacket schools), Wheatland-Chili, Churchville-Chili and maybe LeRoy. Hope this helps.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:40 PM

We looking into any areas near the thruway because that is where my husbands job will be. We are looking to stay close to his job. Thank you ckhthankgod for your suggestions. I was thinking of looking further into the Honeoye Falls-Lima area. Anyone from that area? Is it more like farm area or is it somewhat developed? Are the schools good?

Old 11-11-2008, 11:58 AM

28 posts, read 120,834 times
Hi,

I've lived in Honeoye Falls for 6 years and highly recommend it. It sounds just what you're looking for. Great schools, 5-15 min from the thruway, 20-30 min from the airport, 20 min to great shopping, and a wonderful, walkable downtown. The people are wonderful and HF has a cozy community feel.
I'd steer clear of Henrietta - very commercial, houses on top of each other, school problems, etc. Victor is also nice but bigger than HFL. Let me know if you have any more questions. Good luck!

hmarthur

Old 11-11-2008, 03:02 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,586,180 times
henrietta doesn't really have "school issues". The town actually has really good schools. Commercial suburb it is though, not much real "town charecter" like most other Rochester suburbs have. And I'd agree that atleast the newer neighborhoods in Henrietta have the houses really close. But anything built before the 90's has decent lot sizes.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:32 PM

Thank you for all the info. I was going to forget about considering Honeoye Falls, but I may just keep it in the loop! I was thinking it may be too Rural for me, but I may take a ride there this weekend and check it out for myself.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:46 PM

99 posts, read 288,519 times
Look at Pittsford too!

Old 11-13-2008, 06:21 AM

28 posts, read 120,834 times
Let us know what you think of Honeoye Falls. I guess some may consider it rural, but compared to the town I grew up in the midwest, it isn't at all! There are no national chain stores, though Walmart tried to come to town a couple of years ago (between HF and Lima) and most everyone fought like crazy and kept them out. I think there are a lot of nice homes for sale here now. I'd drive down Clover St, through the town, along Monroe St. where the library is, past the falls and the schools to get a good feel for it. Also, it you drive up Clover and go east at the round-about you can check out Mendon. All but 10% of Mendon residents attend HFL schools, the rest go to Pittsford. Did you mention working in Bloomfield? Depending where you are in HF, it would be a 10-20 minute drive and you wouldn't use the thruway. There would be no rush hour traffic to worry about!

A bigger town close to Bloomfield is Canandaigua. The schools aren't as good (source: greatschools.com, Newsweek) but they're still rated quite highly and downtown is very nice and booming and there is a lot of shopping there. Also, you have the added benefit of the lake. Good luck!

H

Old 11-13-2008, 03:07 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmarthur View Post
Let us know what you think of Honeoye Falls. I guess some may consider it rural, but compared to the town I grew up in the midwest, it isn't at all! There are no national chain stores, though Walmart tried to come to town a couple of years ago (between HF and Lima) and most everyone fought like crazy and kept them out. I think there are a lot of nice homes for sale here now. I'd drive down Clover St, through the town, along Monroe St. where the library is, past the falls and the schools to get a good feel for it. Also, it you drive up Clover and go east at the round-about you can check out Mendon. All but 10% of Mendon residents attend HFL schools, the rest go to Pittsford. Did you mention working in Bloomfield? Depending where you are in HF, it would be a 10-20 minute drive and you wouldn't use the thruway. There would be no rush hour traffic to worry about!

A bigger town close to Bloomfield is Canandaigua. The schools aren't as good (source: greatschools.com, Newsweek) but they're still rated quite highly and downtown is very nice and booming and there is a lot of shopping there. Also, you have the added benefit of the lake. Good luck!

H
Canadaigua schools aren't as good? As far as what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area