Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 11:47 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Thanks for the useless information that is already being discussed over on the Charlotte forum
Doesn't the fact that it's being discussed in the Charlotte forum...by people who actually already live there....suggest that it's NOT useless and actually has some merit. I don't think many disgruntled northeasterners realize how much this great recession has changed things; the sunbelt really isn't a hotbed of job creation and booming development anymore. In fact its probably the region hit hardest (tied with Michigan); and with Charlotte's pre-recession economy being based mostly off of real estate AND the financial market; it didn't stand a chance. Even Raleigh, which has always had a more diverse and resilient economy than Charlotte, has a higher unemployment rate and just yesterday it was announced that Sony Ericson is closing down all of their operations in the region, eliminating over 400 jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 10:48 AM

73 posts, read 143,581 times
We want and will move from Rochester very soon. Reasons:
1-Weather---Long and snowy winters
2-People--- People are not friendly-they tend to segregate themselves to exclusively by race and ethnicity
3-Lack of everything, infractstructure,no downtown,high crimes,nothing to do but walk to malls and chain restaurants.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:19 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,607 times
We have contemplated moving from NYS for 15 years but waited until the kids were through school...now looking at the youngest in 11th and counting down the days!!!! Hickory NC looks perfect as does Roanoke VA..we'll be 50 somethings just looking for less cold, less snow, less taxes, and more sun.....Our only worry is Paterson will run the state down the drain before moving day....NYS/Rochester lost a lot of it's sparkle for us when we allowed it to become the bank roll for downstate. There are recent attempts to retify that and split the state but it will never happen...what politician is going to allow it's cash source to break ties? Too bad they won't realize it until too many have left and none are moving in

Old 12-10-2009, 01:06 AM

161 posts, read 489,357 times
So far, so good in our new state!

I do miss a few things from back home, of course. Family and friends are dearly missed but it appears of those that remain are headed out within 6-18 months.

Nope, the grass isn't always greener but it's nice to not see snow on top of it, for starters. We wanted to be in a place to retire years before we actually did retire.

I hope all is well with you and your families, whether you have moved or not. Thanks for all replies and please keep them coming...

Old 12-10-2009, 09:48 PM

13 posts, read 25,541 times
I am also thinking of leaving Rochester for Charlotte, because...

#1) WARM weather
#2)Umm maybe their will be available men down there cuz there sure as hell ain't any here lol
#3) Work, work, work
#4) More sun, less depression

And i need a change in scenery. A fresh start!

Old 12-10-2009, 09:59 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
work work work? You know Charlotte has had double digit unemployment for over a year now right?

Last edited by just_sayin'; 12-10-2009 at 11:28 PM..

Old 12-10-2009, 11:26 PM

233 posts, read 685,796 times
Good for you, citygal. I gave you rep points

We're leaving for the southwest once my sister graduates high school.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:56 AM

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aorre View Post
Good for you, citygal. I gave you rep points

We're leaving for the southwest once my sister graduates high school.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:57 AM

Default Work in Charlotte

I thought Charlotte had a better work force than Upstate NY? Or maybe i was hoping...

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
work work work? You know Charlotte has had double digit unemployment for over a year now right?

Old 12-11-2009, 08:00 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,718,665 times
There are plenty of available men with good jobs here. You must not be looking in the right places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area