Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 11:18 PM

15 posts, read 51,256 times

Advertisements

Our family is relocating to Rochester, NY from Southern California for work. We are looking for a nice suburb with a great school system, low crime, good shopping, quaint downtown, and good housing. Who wouldn't want all that? So far we've looked into Pittsford.

Any others? Thanks for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 11:55 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,999,046 times
Pittsford, Brighton and Perinton.

For all three shopping is close by, you have Rochester itself, the Marketplace mall nearby and the Eastview mall in Victor. Although taxes are high, you will find the prices of most houses offset the taxes. Taxes vary greatly from area to area so keep that in mind when you are looking.

We don't have kids, so I won't be much help with the schools. Pittsford and Brighton both receive very high ratings.

Perinton is a growing suburb and has many business parks. It is close to Victor, which has the Eastview Mall which should make for easy shopping. Many restaurants are around Eastview, and they plan on expanding around the shopping center. Perington is a little more rural then Pittsford, but it is also farther away from most of the entertainment.

I wish I knew a little more about Brighton. But it is bordered by Henrietta and Rochester. So shopping will be good, still plenty of activites, highway access will be good.

Pittsford gets my vote, you are in close proximity to the city, but minutes away from the country. There is a large shopping plaza on rt31 with many restaurants and a large Wegmans. Highway access is a breeze. And you should find a wide variety of homes, some very upper class. The east side of the city of Rochester, which is adjacent to Pittsford, is also one of the better areas of the city, Park ave as many shops and restaurants and is a walkable part of the city. Ellison park is one of the two large parks in the city, and is also close by. Ellison is a little more woodsy, but is a great place for a nature hike. Highland park is done up like a nice city park.

Brighton - Rochester Wiki
TownOfPerinton : Home
Pittsford (town), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-10-2009, 01:21 PM

12 posts, read 73,890 times
+1 for Pittsford if you want the quaint suburban lifestyle. Keep in mind, the traffic in the Village of Pittsford can be very busy, as the narrow streets weren't really designed for the amount of traffic it gets today. The cost of living in Pittsford is higher most other areas in Monroe County, but you will find all of the attributes you listed in your post. The town of Victor is also very nice, though a bit farther from Rochester. Fairport also has a great downtown area, and great schools. Webster is a growing town right on the lake, and has some beautiful houses. Anywhere on the "East-side" is worth a look IMO.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:26 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
What about Irondequoit in the West Irondequoit School District? Would Spencerport, Hilton or Brockport be good considering they have nice and walkable villages, as well as the typical suburban developments and good schools? Could Churchville/Churchville-Chili Schools also be considered?

Old 09-10-2009, 10:41 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,449,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about Irondequoit in the West Irondequoit School District? Would Spencerport, Hilton or Brockport be good considering they have nice and walkable villages, as well as the typical suburban developments and good schools? Could Churchville/Churchville-Chili Schools also be considered?

W. Irondequoit is beautiful, and the schools are great.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:33 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
coming from SoCal, just prepare yourself for a big culture shock Not say Rochester isn't a good place to live, but it is very very very different from SoCal. I would recommend Pittsford or Fairport/Perinton, my two personal favorites.

Last edited by loveautumn; 09-11-2009 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: add information

Old 09-12-2009, 01:48 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
coming from SoCal, just prepare yourself for a big culture shock Not say Rochester isn't a good place to live, but it is very very very different from SoCal. I would recommend Pittsford or Fairport/Perinton, my two personal favorites.
I agree but dont forget Penfield. I moved here 5 years ago from So. Cal.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 4,422 times
Hello in Rochester, can anyone help me and tell me how the neighborhood of the following address below is?
Dickinson St, Rochester, NY 14621.
Thanks so much.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:37 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamran6590 View Post
Hello in Rochester, can anyone help me and tell me how the neighborhood of the following address below is?
Thanks so much.
I think that is in one of the rougher parts of town, but is closer to Eastern Irondequoit and Northland-Lyceum. So, it might not be as bad.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:22 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,999,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamran6590 View Post
Thanks so much.
That is kind of a borderline area. The area is not that bad during the day, and alot of the homes are upkept. If you are in the area, I would make BOTH a day and a night time visit. Talk to the neighbors if you can. Usually Culver is considered the dividing line for the city, the east side is the good side. The crime is rapidly worse to the west of that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area