Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 12:55 PM

233 posts, read 685,728 times

Advertisements

Nope, OverTaxed is pretty much dead on. Very few black/half-black/hispanic families are wealthy out here, and they all typically do act the same in an urban environment. My mother works for Rochester Housing Authority (Section 8) and deals with it all day long. Sometimes she saves the messages (but doesn't tell me the clients' names, of course) and lets me listen to the bizarre uneducated blubbering of your so-called "diverse" population. Seriously man, if you heard some of this stuff...

It's not racist, it's just how it is here. I've lived in many parts of Rochester throughout my life. I've seen enough to make a documentary. I've even witnessed a stabbing first hand. I grew up in the city, went to city schools (horrendous), moved to the suburbs, went to public schools, went to a private school, and had a cornucopia of flavored friends of varying economic backgrounds.

Ever see Gran Torino? That's pretty much what the city can be like. Certain parts of Greece too.

Last edited by Aorre; 11-04-2009 at 01:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 01:19 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
What a bunch of BS. No one group typically acts the same in an urban environment. To say so is pure ignorance. I live in a part of Irondquoit that is pretty diverse. The only problem house on our street is from a trashy white family that does not keep up their home. I grew up around the Clifford Ave area with a good amount of Puerto Ricans and African Americans and the majority presented no problems. The hood rats come in all races, including white. I have worked directly with poorer urban persons and there is no one race that acts out of line. Just a few bad apples of any background.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:00 PM

Well yeah, anyone can behave badly; but when you look at crime on the news in Rochester, what do you mostly see and how do you think it went down?

Old 11-04-2009, 02:49 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
I see a mix of people when you look at crime in general. Most violent crime is done by a small percentage of an ethnicity or race and many are repeat offenders. The overwhelming majority of these groups are law abiding honest citizens.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:58 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,070 times
If there is one thing I like about the PR's next door, its that they sure take care of their exterior. The lawn is always cut, garden always manicured, ect. The guy does take pride in his home and property, which I am quite thankful for. The ethnic neighbors I mentioned before, not so much. And next to them is a white family that is ok, not the greatest, but definitely kind of trashy. I didnt try to pinpoint negativity towards one group, sorry if thats what was portrayed in my post. I did forget to mention that my neighborhood is pretty good, good mix of young and old, although some of the kids can be annoying and litter without caring, which gets real annoying.

As far as violent crimes in Rochester, well, anything anyone says about that is probably going to be considered racist or stereotypical despite the cold hard facts, so I wont even get in to that.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:50 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aorre View Post
Nope, OverTaxed is pretty much dead on. Very few black/half-black/hispanic families are wealthy out here, and they all typically do act the same in an urban environment. My mother works for Rochester Housing Authority (Section 8) and deals with it all day long. Sometimes she saves the messages (but doesn't tell me the clients' names, of course) and lets me listen to the bizarre uneducated blubbering of your so-called "diverse" population. Seriously man, if you heard some of this stuff...

It's not racist, it's just how it is here. I've lived in many parts of Rochester throughout my life. I've seen enough to make a documentary. I've even witnessed a stabbing first hand. I grew up in the city, went to city schools (horrendous), moved to the suburbs, went to public schools, went to a private school, and had a cornucopia of flavored friends of varying economic backgrounds.

Ever see Gran Torino? That's pretty much what the city can be like. Certain parts of Greece too.
Actually, that's not completely true. There are quite a few middle class families in the Rochester area. Many live in Chili, Henrietta, parts of Irondequoit, parts of Greece, some in Brighton and even in the eastern suburbs. Actually, my sister and her husband live in a middle class and mixed neighborhood in Chili not too far from the airport.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:46 PM

I never said anything about middle class families in that post. What are you getting at?

Old 11-06-2009, 11:47 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,998,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Honestly dude, you need to look away from this whole segregation/diversity thing. This is real life, it is what it is. Whites in Rochester are wealthier than black and other minority groups. We have more money to afford better homes in better neighborhoods. Why would I want to live in a crap hole neighborhood if I can afford better, especially if it means preserving the safety of my family. There were 2 shootings on Halloween night in the city, definitely not something that makes me think "man, maybe I should think about diversifying my life and live in the city."
I agree with this as well. I don't know what the underlying cause is, but African Americans in the general upstate NY area ARE poor and are definitely uneducated, just look at the high school dropout rate.

I'm sure there are many middle class African Americans out here. But as a percentage, especially in the city, white Americans definitely make up the majority of the middle class families.

Again I do not know what the underlying cause is, or what we must do to fix the problem. The poor, uneducated and high crime neighborhoods are probably a big factor with racism and segregation up here. I know alot of people who just assume an African American man is trash, just because the person is walking down the street. Yes it is wrong, but how do you fix the problem when unfortunately, in a large part of the city the stereotypes are true?

Old 11-06-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
I agree with this as well. I don't know what the underlying cause is, but African Americans in the general upstate NY area ARE poor and are definitely uneducated, just look at the high school dropout rate.

I'm sure there are many middle class African Americans out here. But as a percentage, especially in the city, white Americans definitely make up the majority of the middle class families.

Again I do not know what the underlying cause is, or what we must do to fix the problem. The poor, uneducated and high crime neighborhoods are probably a big factor with racism and segregation up here. I know alot of people who just assume an African American man is trash, just because the person is walking down the street. Yes it is wrong, but how do you fix the problem when unfortunately, in a large part of the city the stereotypes are true?
Unfortunately, that is a national issue, which varies by area. Considering that only around 9% of Whites live under the poverty level, while Blacks are at 24-25%, Asians are at around 11% and Hispanics around 21%. I think the breakdown of the family structure plays a big role in many of the issues that occur in urban areas and nationwide. There are other things that play role, which makes this all complex. http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/poverty/poverty08/pov08hi.html (broken link)

With that said, there are areas in Rochester where there are Black families that are doing fine.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aorre View Post
I never said anything about middle class families in that post. What are you getting at?
I was addressing the original topic of segregation and that there are neighborhoods in the Rochester area that are integrated and that are fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area