U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-17-2009, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Rochester, NY
1,293 posts, read 4,319,450 times
Reputation: 359

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmanal View Post
Unfortunately, I live in a Muti-Family house. My neighbors drop empty
liquor bottles, candy (children), food containers, etc. on the lawn. I've
seen other streets in this neighborhood that are pretty much clean.
There are also some well-manicured lawns in this neighborhood. Overall, I do like this area, in spite of all the garbage on the streets. I'm very new to Rochester; I was raised in the 'burbs. Living on both coasts, and West Texas. I have found the "less affluent" to be rather disrespectful to their
environments. I've got time to decide what works for me. I've finally seen
other parts of this city that makes me happy to be here. I had no idea there is so much urban blight in Rochester. My temporary place upon arrival was in the Plymouth Exchange/19th Ward area (uncomfortable for me). I'll check out the Charlotte area, I liked it on my way to the lake. I've lived in D.C., Boston, San Francisco, and El Paso; now, here. D.C. and SF were the best on diversity. Boston had too many issues with it, El Paso did have a tiny Asian population to make me comfortable. I like people of the world,
not just Asians - I do speak Mandarin. I'll figure out where I belong in
due time; ha! I belong on earth.
I can vouch for this. I can't stand it either because over the winter it blows into my yard, and I end up having to rake it out of my bushes. Some cities, or at least parts of, can clean up the streets a little better. NYC as an example, but they get less snow and there are more people walking around. Having the courtisy to throw your candy wrapper in the trash would be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-17-2009, 05:05 PM
 
56,262 posts, read 80,427,244 times
Reputation: 12413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmanal View Post
Thank you all for your opinions and comments. Rochester is a good city. I'll need time to find
my own spot in this city; at any rate, it sure beats the hell out of living in El Paso, TX.
Again, I moved to this neighborhood on an emergency basis; Maplewood is growing on me,
but I have enough experience to choose a more suitable flat, next year; even in the same area........
If you want a suburb with an urban or walkable feel, that has enough diversity, seriously look at Brighton. It has a relatively decent Asian population(about 13-14% of the students in the BCSD are Asian and about 9% of the town is) and there are enough of other groups there as well. It's also in a good location in the area. So, that's a community to think about if you want to stay in the area, but are looking for a suburb, perhaps. Brighton, NY - Official Website
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Syracuse, NY
199 posts, read 464,363 times
Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If you want a suburb with an urban or walkable feel, that has enough diversity, seriously look at Brighton. It has a relatively decent Asian population(about 13-14% of the students in the BCSD are Asian and about 9% of the town is) and there are enough of other groups there as well. It's also in a good location in the area. So, that's a community to think about if you want to stay in the area, but are looking for a suburb, perhaps. Brighton, NY - Official Website
Thanks for the link, I may end up back in the 'burbs, but Charlotte
is in the city. NOTA and Park ave are too homogenized for my blood.
I learned my other languages by living in "integrated" San Francisco, I can't afford to move back; even the "crappy" areas are too expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2009, 10:42 PM
 
6,196 posts, read 14,198,185 times
Reputation: 4483
Greece is very nice but very homogenized. I lived there before moving to Raleigh. I also lived in the Tenth Ward (Maplewood) for many years.

I would move back to Greece myself because I still have family there.

I grew up in Charlotte. The area used to be mostly Italian, Irish, and some German. I think we talked about ethnicity only on St. Patrick's Day.

It's changed a lot. I just looked up Holy Cross Church, where I attended as a child. It has a gift shop and a cafe. OMG.
Gift Shop - Holy Cross Church My elementary school, "Holy Cross School" closed. Very sad. The nuns were some of the most independent, intelligent, passionate, and funny people I'd ever met.

Our family had a boat on the river and would go for boat rides on the lake after supper and watch the setting sun.

I loved the carousel and the pier and Abbott's custard.

Was a great place to grow up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2009, 10:54 AM
 
5,843 posts, read 14,007,367 times
Reputation: 3454
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
Wow, I'm surprised that it is that low. That is a big high school, would have though it would serve most of the east side of the city. I wonder what the percentages are from neighborhood to neighborhood?
I'm guessing the city still has a large percentage of Catholics. The low percentage of whites at East High may reflect a large proportion of the neighborhood's white kids attending Catholic high schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2009, 11:26 AM
 
56,262 posts, read 80,427,244 times
Reputation: 12413
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Greece is very nice but very homogenized. I lived there before moving to Raleigh. I also lived in the Tenth Ward (Maplewood) for many years.

I would move back to Greece myself because I still have family there.

I grew up in Charlotte. The area used to be mostly Italian, Irish, and some German. I think we talked about ethnicity only on St. Patrick's Day.

It's changed a lot. I just looked up Holy Cross Church, where I attended as a child. It has a gift shop and a cafe. OMG.
Gift Shop - Holy Cross Church My elementary school, "Holy Cross School" closed. Very sad. The nuns were some of the most independent, intelligent, passionate, and funny people I'd ever met.

Our family had a boat on the river and would go for boat rides on the lake after supper and watch the setting sun.

I loved the carousel and the pier and Abbott's custard.

Was a great place to grow up.
I thought Greece was relatively a "diverse" suburb for the Rochester area. It seems like the Western suburbs are are where the more "diverse" suburbs are in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2009, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Syracuse, NY
199 posts, read 464,363 times
Reputation: 57
Default 1 Year to go....

We can close this conversation now. I will find a place in due time. I like it here because I'm on the bus line and can walk to the mall. My current property management company seems to have only city properties for rent,
but they're not the only fish in the sea. Offto the 'burbs or a better part
of Rochester........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2009, 07:22 AM
 
Location: Syracuse, NY
199 posts, read 464,363 times
Reputation: 57
Default A world Traveler....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrows View Post
It's a fine neighborhood. If you're calling your neighbors in Maplewood "trashy," you need to get a clue. And the fact that he does it while praising himself for believing in "diversity" especially sets me off.
Having seen seeing different cultures worldwide, a lot of the world's poor respect there own neighborhoods, you also will not find the number of corner markets selling food to go. Combing this with a mostly
Poorly Educated American populace, is a recipe for garbage on the streets.
You'll find corner markets in suburban neighborhoods as well,
why are the streets much cleaner? In Europe, the more "urban" areas will
have garbage on the streets along with the graffiti. Sir, I do have
more clues than you think....... I am suburban, inner cities are fine, but I
didn't know this city before I moved here. Yes, I have lived in a "clean"
inner city back in CA with no "Street Urchins" standing on corners.
If it wasn't an emergency when I moved, I wouldn't have chosen
this part of Maplewood, I've seen other streets that appear more
to my liking; it is not the neighborhood, it is the street within the neighborhood that turns me off; got it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2009, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Rochester NY (western NY)
1,021 posts, read 1,610,758 times
Reputation: 2311
If you want diversity, move to Greece. We have everyone from Italians to blacks to Puerto Ricans to Asians. I own a home just down the road from the Delta Sonic on W Ridge, literally 3 mins down the road from you, and I have a Puerto Rican family on one side and what I think is some sort of Muslim black family on the other side. They have weird accents and dress kinda funny, I still have yet to make out what their ethnic background is. Whatever the case is, theyre ****ty parents with loud kids who seem to do whatever they want. Their toddler rides his bike in the middle of the road, they play in their minivan with the keys in it and stand on the gas pedal making it bounce off the rev limiter, crap like that. Im hoping they get foreclosed on at some point and need to move, because theyre ****ty neighbors.

The PR family is nice, only complaints is the mother will sit outside on her step and talk on her cell phone yabbering away in spanish, and theyll sometimes blast PR music for the whole neighborhood to hear, but I try to ignore it. Their kids came to our house on Halloween and spoke spanish to my wife, which I thought was bull$hit, but whatever. I'm only 27 but Im kinda old school in that I believe in speaking English in public. But thats just me.

Honestly dude, you need to look away from this whole segregation/diversity thing. This is real life, it is what it is. Whites in Rochester are wealthier than black and other minority groups. We have more money to afford better homes in better neighborhoods. Why would I want to live in a crap hole neighborhood if I can afford better, especially if it means preserving the safety of my family. There were 2 shootings on Halloween night in the city, definitely not something that makes me think "man, maybe I should think about diversifying my life and live in the city."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2009, 08:43 AM
 
56,262 posts, read 80,427,244 times
Reputation: 12413
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
If you want diversity, move to Greece. We have everyone from Italians to blacks to Puerto Ricans to Asians. I own a home just down the road from the Delta Sonic on W Ridge, literally 3 mins down the road from you, and I have a Puerto Rican family on one side and what I think is some sort of Muslim black family on the other side. They have weird accents and dress kinda funny, I still have yet to make out what their ethnic background is. Whatever the case is, theyre ****ty parents with loud kids who seem to do whatever they want. Their toddler rides his bike in the middle of the road, they play in their minivan with the keys in it and stand on the gas pedal making it bounce off the rev limiter, crap like that. Im hoping they get foreclosed on at some point and need to move, because theyre ****ty neighbors.

The PR family is nice, only complaints is the mother will sit outside on her step and talk on her cell phone yabbering away in spanish, and theyll sometimes blast PR music for the whole neighborhood to hear, but I try to ignore it. Their kids came to our house on Halloween and spoke spanish to my wife, which I thought was bull$hit, but whatever. I'm only 27 but Im kinda old school in that I believe in speaking English in public. But thats just me.

Honestly dude, you need to look away from this whole segregation/diversity thing. This is real life, it is what it is. Whites in Rochester are wealthier than black and other minority groups. We have more money to afford better homes in better neighborhoods. Why would I want to live in a crap hole neighborhood if I can afford better, especially if it means preserving the safety of my family. There were 2 shootings on Halloween night in the city, definitely not something that makes me think "man, maybe I should think about diversifying my life and live in the city."
You mean to tell everyone that all of Greece is like what you described? That sounds far fetched.

Also, there are plenty of "diverse" areas in the Rochester metro that are safe and nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top