Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 02:35 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,718,665 times

Advertisements

Lots of people in that area send their kids to private schools. My family sends their kids to Kearney, McQuaid, Aquinas, etc. East High isn't the best school so if people can, they are going to send their kids to private schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 02:39 PM

93,388 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
Wow, I'm surprised that it is that low. That is a big high school, would have though it would serve most of the east side of the city. I wonder what the percentages are from neighborhood to neighborhood?
I wonder if a reason for the lower percentage is due to people sending their children to private HS's like Aquinas, Mercy, Nazareth, McQuaid and Kearney.

Here in Syracuse, our East side is very similar and many of the kids on that side of town go to private HS's like Christian Brothers Academy, Manlius-Pebble Hill and Bishop Grimes instead of Nottingham High. It's still about 31% White though. You will notice the difference in the sports teams too. For instance, the Soccer and Lacrosse teams are mostly White, but the Football and Basketball teams are mostly Black with maybe a White kid or two on each.

I noticed that Marshall used to be pretty balanced in the late 80's through the 90's too. Same with Wilson Magnet, but it was pretty mixed even in the early part of this decade.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:14 AM

199 posts, read 536,665 times
Default Ethnic Diversity

I have a one-year lease on a place that is for sale; hopefully, I can relocate should it be sold. I'm in Maplewood, which is very convenient, but trashy;
I hate to imagine what their homes look like inside (same as El Paso). I like being close to both Ridge and Lake Avenue, I walk to Greece Ridge Center - short walk for me. The homes here are nice; the people leave quite a bit to be desired; again, a totally new environment for me. I'm suburban.

I stayed in a home when I first arrived in this city that was in Plymouth Exchange; here doesn't seem that much different. I have friends worldwide because I traveled around the world after graduating university. Non-diverse communities are against my beliefs in this country. Is there an ethnically diverse neighborhood in Rochester? Yes, where they all live in harmony.

Turn offs for me are more many corner markets and grocers selling inexpensive foods; botuh, are patronized by slobs. Park/East avenue is
not as diverse as it should be; this is also a turn off.

Part of me wants to return to the suburbs, but which? How is the area directly north of Maplewood, in Greece?

Old 08-14-2009, 08:33 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,718,665 times
Try southwedge, NOTA or Brighton. It sounds like you have been living in a couple not so nice areas.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:58 PM

504 posts, read 1,493,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Try southwedge, NOTA or Brighton. It sounds like you have been living in a couple not so nice areas.
Southwedge and NOTA are good suggestions: I don't think Brighton is very diverse.

Salmanal, I'm having trouble forming a response to your posts. Your desire for an ethnically diverse neighborhood seems to be at odds with your classist epithets (e.g. your neighbors in Maplewood are "trashy"). You sound like you are looking for the American pseudo-leftist ideal of diversity, that is, ethnic diversity with concurrent disdain for the lifestyle of anyone less wealthy than you. As you are finding, ethnic diversity is easy to adapt to, while economic diversity is not. My sympathies.

Unfortunately, ethnic diversity and economic diversity are still very much tied to one another in Rochester. Therefore, you will probably not find your ideal neighborhood of an ethnically diverse middle class in Rochester except at the fringes of an area like NOTA (Atlantic/University is what I call it) or perhaps Corn Hill.

On the upside, in Rochester you have a chance to really make good on your "beliefs" of diversity. Although they are poor, you can treat the Maplewood "slobs" with some respect, and you'll really have improved the community and done something to increase Rochester's diversity.

Or you can go back to the suburbs.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:48 PM

93,388 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrows View Post
Southwedge and NOTA are good suggestions: I don't think Brighton is very diverse.

Salmanal, I'm having trouble forming a response to your posts. Your desire for an ethnically diverse neighborhood seems to be at odds with your classist epithets (e.g. your neighbors in Maplewood are "trashy"). You sound like you are looking for the American pseudo-leftist ideal of diversity, that is, ethnic diversity with concurrent disdain for the lifestyle of anyone less wealthy than you. As you are finding, ethnic diversity is easy to adapt to, while economic diversity is not. My sympathies.

Unfortunately, ethnic diversity and economic diversity are still very much tied to one another in Rochester. Therefore, you will probably not find your ideal neighborhood of an ethnically diverse middle class in Rochester except at the fringes of an area like NOTA (Atlantic/University is what I call it) or perhaps Corn Hill.

On the upside, in Rochester you have a chance to really make good on your "beliefs" of diversity. Although they are poor, you can treat the Maplewood "slobs" with some respect, and you'll really have improved the community and done something to increase Rochester's diversity.

Or you can go back to the suburbs.
I was going to say that if one wants a "diverse", suburban area in Rochester, you might have to go to Henrietta, Chili, Gates and Brighton. I think Brighton is "diverse" enough, as it has a decent Asian population and enough Black folks to the point that you will notice. Irondequoit and Greece might be good too.

Also, I thought Maplewood was a decent neighborhood. Maybe Charlotte would be good. What about Culver-Winton or Lyceum-Northland?

Old 08-14-2009, 02:49 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
by learning arabic and becoming much more involved in the mosque?

Old 08-14-2009, 03:34 PM

504 posts, read 1,493,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, I thought Maplewood was a decent neighborhood.
It's a fine neighborhood. If you're calling your neighbors in Maplewood "trashy," you need to get a clue. And the fact that he does it while praising himself for believing in "diversity" especially sets me off.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:46 PM

Default Trasy they are...

Unfortunately, I live in a Muti-Family house. My neighbors drop empty
liquor bottles, candy (children), food containers, etc. on the lawn. I've
seen other streets in this neighborhood that are pretty much clean.
There are also some well-manicured lawns in this neighborhood. Overall, I do like this area, in spite of all the garbage on the streets. I'm very new to Rochester; I was raised in the 'burbs. Living on both coasts, and West Texas. I have found the "less affluent" to be rather disrespectful to their
environments. I've got time to decide what works for me. I've finally seen
other parts of this city that makes me happy to be here. I had no idea there is so much urban blight in Rochester. My temporary place upon arrival was in the Plymouth Exchange/19th Ward area (uncomfortable for me). I'll check out the Charlotte area, I liked it on my way to the lake. I've lived in D.C., Boston, San Francisco, and El Paso; now, here. D.C. and SF were the best on diversity. Boston had too many issues with it, El Paso did have a tiny Asian population to make me comfortable. I like people of the world,
not just Asians - I do speak Mandarin. I'll figure out where I belong in
due time; ha! I belong on earth.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:55 AM

Thank you all for your opinions and comments. Rochester is a good city. I'll need time to find
my own spot in this city; at any rate, it sure beats the hell out of living in El Paso, TX.
Again, I moved to this neighborhood on an emergency basis; Maplewood is growing on me,
but I have enough experience to choose a more suitable flat, next year; even in the same area........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area