Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 07:14 PM

11 posts, read 41,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
I apologize, I didn't read ALL of your posts, the ones I did read were all negative and most of them were supporting the Philly region in one way or the other.
It just seems odd to me that you are persistent in visiting this thread and it is obvious you aren't a fan of Rochester... so let it be,that is all.
I originated the thread, I can visit here whenever I want. How was I "supporting" the Philly region? Again, an assumption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,878 times
I dont know why people from rochester are always defending it? Its a crappy upstate city, just like all the others! Just admit it there is nothing goin on there! Oh silly me, i forgot thats where all the hottest clubs are, and where all the models, actors, and athelets hang out! There is no vibe there the city lost 100,000 in the past 50 years, because so much is happining there!

Old 08-29-2009, 05:46 PM

93,386 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey_damon View Post
I dont know why people from rochester are always defending it? Its a crappy upstate city, just like all the others! Just admit it there is nothing goin on there! Oh silly me, i forgot thats where all the hottest clubs are, and where all the models, actors, and athelets hang out! There is no vibe there the city lost 100,000 in the past 50 years, because so much is happining there!
A lot of that is due to people moving to the suburbs too. Some have left the state, but some actually move to Rochester and other Upstate NY metro areas for various reasons. I think everyone things could be better, but it's not like Rochester is a lost cause.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:54 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,718,665 times
Quote:
yea, because if super models and actors aren't hanging out in a place it is an empty ghost town.
See, there is this thing called a middle ground.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:46 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,999,046 times
Quote:
The city losing population doesn't have very much to do with vibe, it has to do more with the business and politics of the area. You have to remember, this isn't LA, NYC or Chicago. This is a mid sized metro area without a major sports team, in a way we can benefit from Buffalo because of this. And the athletes do hang out in Rochester, not for vacation, but the training camps are actually at St. John Fisher. What Rochester does have is most of the amenities you would find in a large metro area without all the hustle and bustle of a big city. It also has the largest economy of an upstate NY city, so if you have to move because of a job, but don't want to move far, maybe Rochester is a good choice.

I prefer large cities as well. But Rochester has everything I need and it is cheap to live in. I have a good job, so there is no way I would move without a substantial job offer.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:28 AM

116 posts, read 622,389 times
Quote:
Great point. Whenever I think of where I'm going to live and work and raise a family, the top of my list is always these questions:

1) How many actors am I likely to run into on a regular basis?
2) How many models?
3) How many athletes?

If I cannot answer with "a lot" to any of these questions, I will not move, period. I'd take a shack in beverly hills over a large house any day of the week as long as I can peep through my tiny window and see an actor, model, or athlete.

Again, thanks for this insightful post

Old 11-20-2009, 08:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,436 times
After a long and frustrating read through the review, i found many arguemental points that i would agree and dissagree with pertaning to rochester. Yes rochester is "tired" , like so many rust-belt cities. They were the powerhouses for our countries manufacturing industry and should be respected and understood. They helped make this country what it is today. That was some time ago now!!! Rochester has not had the funding its needed to make a rennasence revitalization it could use (doesnt nessasarly need!) Recently the 250 million dollar budget was cut!!?? (greedy downstate!) but even so, for its size, rochester has a very stable economy, very affordable living, all the amenities one needs (top notch education, restraunts, sports,nightlife,PARKS&RECREATION all over) and best of all major cities near by that give you what rochester doesnt, so to say. With any city-visit, it comes down to individual experience, personal prefrience,what your looking for & not looking for. It varies with us all. My own experience in traveling the united states has been very in-depth, I have also lived in several places, the most significant time spent would be...

Boise, Idaho (5 years)
Anaheim-Orange County, CA (1 year 2 months)
Rochester, NY (2 years ) @ (Culver & East Ave) - (Southwedge) - (Pittsford-Mendon)
Detroit, MI (6 months to current present time)

all of those cities vary in size, cultural race, jobs, economy, nightlife, outdoors, ext...

I am a 22 year old, white male, and love nightlife buzzin as well as the sheer outdoors...I gave up the cali-lifestyle (beach, sunshine, palm trees, westcoast hospitality) for the raw and bitter rust belt, i live in detroit!!

I am now relocating BACK to rochester...why?
Perfect size for me! not to big, not to small... but has that big city attitude. You can be in a semi-urban core, and 15 minutes later be in complete undevoloped nature (untouched, see mendon ponds!!) The people in the rochester-metro are educated and very opinionated, i like that. As well as very blunt and outspoken (compared to the westcoast, its very passive aggressive, which is not bad!!!)
The rent and housing is cheap for incredable victorian houses! I was paying 2,200$ monthly for 2 bedroom appartment in anahiem! I payed 1,250$ and lived 10 houses down from eastman mansion, the place was 3 bedrooms, 3 floors, 3,200sq ft..come on! Go to the bars and 30.00$ gets the job done! Girls are classy, they will wear high heels in 2 feet of snow in december! The nightlife is great! Most of all, for a young guy or gal in the city, you can really make a name for yourself. I like the fact that you can make an impact on your surroundings, be part of a community (around 200,000 people) Versus, In LA, NYC, Chicago..millions of people, making it much harder to rise above the mass'es (just my opinion & experience! )

hey i could could go on & on, ill leave it at this. Nothing beats a summer bike ride down park ave!!!

Last edited by RustBeltLove; 11-20-2009 at 08:38 PM..

Old 11-20-2009, 08:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWilliams View Post
Great point. Whenever I think of where I'm going to live and work and raise a family, the top of my list is always these questions:

1) How many actors am I likely to run into on a regular basis?
2) How many models?
3) How many athletes?

If I cannot answer with "a lot" to any of these questions, I will not move, period. I'd take a shack in beverly hills over a large house any day of the week as long as I can peep through my tiny window and see an actor, model, or athlete.

Again, thanks for this insightful post
Yea..dude isnt that why they created lets see the big screen, magazines, and ESPN?

Metro-LA has about the highest rate of poverty, crime, pollution, traffic congestion, and ridiculas cost of living expenses then anywere in american....not to mention anything even close to Rochester.

If movie stars and false realities are more important then LA is for you!!

Old 11-20-2009, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,715 times
Cool Don't take for granted what the ROC has to offer!!!

The city of Rochester and Monroe County are a true gem. I just moved down to West Palm Beach FL and I will tell you I wish I never left. I have a bias due to the fact that this is where I grew up, but people told me to go out and explore and I have for the past couple years. Lived a year in Buffalo, now living down in Florida. But I can tell you, Rochester is truly an awesome place. There is something about that city that just makes you feel at home and Rochesterians are very very friendly. The night life is good and the food and drink is great up there as well, Dinosaur for example, and everything like parks, lakes, and places of interest all around excellent as well. Who knows where I will move next, but if I had an opportunity to move back, I probably would take it quickly because that place is chill, humble, and even ground. There is just something about Rochester that wants me to come back and stay I guess, its hard to explain, but in all Rochester should definitely not be overlooked!

Old 11-21-2009, 09:00 AM

4 posts, read 7,924 times
I never even had a garbage plate, so I cant support that! Sorry about the Syracuse dig- I guess it's the bad feelings from my ex who was from there coming out! Aside from all the specifics of Rochester (Wegmans, the food, etc.) I just found it a very active, warm and welcoming place, compared to the number of places I have lived. That's all! Going back to visit next week
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area