Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 11:38 AM

252 posts, read 733,007 times

Advertisements

..and, what are we going to do with all the big, empty, ugly office buildings, when the majority of us do business from a blackberry and a laptop???

I guess that's a new conversation-- somewhat related to this thread that asks, "Who, out there, IS working wherever they want to be?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 11:52 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
I wish more people moved to our area.

we were fed the propoganda that we must build a new bigger school cuz we would become a bedroom community of a 70,000pop city 35 miles away.....didn't happen

we were fed the propoganda that due to our location ( many beautifull lakes in the area) many people would move here and work from home via computer..didn't happen

Despite my writing letters to newspapers stating we did not have the tax base to build a new school, it got passed and built.

Now people are alarmed that our tiny school district ( 330 students) has one of the highest property taxes in our state ( MN )

yet school enrollment has remained stagnant for over 30 years.

Yup, we need people moving here to keep our new school going.

But I guess anyone smart enough to work from home via computer is smart enough to avoid a place with high property taxes.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:03 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
I have a friend who lives in Rural Colorado, He's about 8 miles (as the crow fly's) about 12 by road from town. Since he's on the high ground, and has a (analog) shot at the Denver TV signal he set up the community repeater tower to re-broadcast the TV everyone on that side of the mountain. (Has since been shut down due to lack of interest/Contribution to help pay for the power to run it). Everyone has sat TV now. But he does run a WiFi network. There is fiber running down the main hi way. So the town has DSL. But if your are more then a mile or two from town you are on Dial-Up. He and few other bought a High speed link and he has transceiver in town that shots the signal up to the old TV tower, He then coverts it to Wide Area WiFi. and he sell the service to every one in about 20mile radius When I was there two years ago, My Laptop was humming. He does have QOS on it, so no one user can hog all the bandwidth.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:10 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,947,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
i have been working more from the house and telecomputeing with the owners of the company i work for with a lot more jobs poping up that i can work odd hours for and i love it ..like the person said the whole thing is the teleconferencing i need the speed to see the what the tables and be able to see how and what the person is doing at the table..

so i have to have the fastest internet connection that there is ..i have talked to the one sat internet company and they have been working on a set up for the teleconferencing but it going to run into the area of about $.200.oo dollars a month for that type of speed from the sat system for the data need to be streamed live as it happens ..

so far i got the company to pay for half the bill and i pay half the bill for the internet connection i have at the house right now ..
Check with your tax advisor... you may be able to claim your internet connection fees (all or percentage) as a work-related expense if you telecommute.

But anyway... think of how much $$ you're saving a year on gas and insurance not having to drive to work and back every day. With gas prices being what they are, even footing the full $200 for high-speed would be less than our car commuting cost every month.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roots'nbulbs View Post
..and, what are we going to do with all the big, empty, ugly office buildings, when the majority of us do business from a blackberry and a laptop???

I guess that's a new conversation-- somewhat related to this thread that asks, "Who, out there, IS working wherever they want to be?"
Convert them to apartments and slow urban sprawl

Old 10-13-2010, 02:04 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,621 times
my boss pays for the internet connection of the bill and i pay for the cable tv part of the bill so it work out ..

Old 10-13-2010, 07:44 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Check with your tax advisor... you may be able to claim your internet connection fees (all or percentage) as a work-related expense if you telecommute.

But anyway... think of how much $$ you're saving a year on gas and insurance not having to drive to work and back every day. With gas prices being what they are, even footing the full $200 for high-speed would be less than our car commuting cost every month.

I sold my car the week after I started working from home, we're a one car family now. Insurance dropped by half too.

I think I spend maybe 30.00-40.00 a month on gas, and that's with New York's ridiculous gas tax.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:23 AM

45,406 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Before you all get all misty eyed and gooey about tele-commuting please answer this: How many jobs (% of the workforce) can this be done with? I can't, unless I want to teach on-line, which I don't. Most of my neighbors can't since it's just about impossible to drive a nail or cut a pipe through an internet conection. Even the ones who are high level civil servants generally can't do their jobs on line.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:44 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,621 times
for what i used to do for a liveing it works out great for it works out as a second or third set of eyes in the room but you not in the room ..

for my boss is was a idea that he could take the old workers knowage and pass it on to the next line of the people working the rooms..for it takes years of doing what i used to do to get the knowage of a person body langauge and movements and few other things down to a art form to be able to read the person in a second ..

plus the biggest thing for the company as my old boss said to a group of other people is that they will work the jobs as long as i need them ..plus for a lot of the retirement people it gives them something to do plus it makes them feel like they are needed ..

i was told this by a person who had retired out and we where sitting around talking about the business one morning ..

he say that a person who single it about finding hobbie to kept one self from falling over from a heart attack at age 55 when you retire this way i have something to look forward to everyday to do something and least i feel i earned my money for the day ..plus it way to keep in touch with the friends that you made over the years and it free paid for by the company ..

Old 10-14-2010, 01:21 PM

Any job where you spend the majority of your time working on a computer or talking on the phone and not dealing physically with a customer or piece of work is a viable candidate for at least part-time telecommuting. Teaching is an awesome candidate, even though I know you prefer not to do so; but living out in the bush, many of our students wouldn't get a rounded education or advanced courses if some teachers weren't willing to teach online.

Most hands-on services, like carpentry or plumbing, and factory-type assembly work would still need to physically commute. Most clerks at stores and banks would still have to physically commute. And those jobs are all equally important to a functioning economy and we need the folks who do them. But just think how much nicer their commute would be if the other half (rough guess) of the workforce wasn't commuting on the roads every day clogging up traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living