Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 12:58 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times

Advertisements

Another thing that those from the "city" don't seem to understand is the interactions between private landowners and rural land. Quite often, those that own large amounts of land will allow public access and will not post the land. This means that those from the town or any surrounding area can have open access to land for recreational activities as long as they don't abuse their privilages. Easements for a snowmobile corridor might be applicable. The problem arises when city people come in an buy up lots of properties and don't respect the lack of positing that was common in the past by the former landowners. This means further restrictions of people to use private lands as long as they are responsible. NH is unique with regard to open access to BOTH public and private lands, and that is one reason why it ranks higher in personal freedoms. Live and let live usually works for the good of all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 12:34 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Another thing that those from the "city" don't seem to understand is the interactions between private landowners and rural land. Quite often, those that own large amounts of land will allow public access and will not post the land....
I had a problem with this after I left home. Maybe I still do. But I grew up being to roam the woods and fields at will. When we went to my grandparents, it was the same. However, it was because of the above stated, non-verbal agreement between long standing neighbors. I have moved so much since leaving home and never staying anywhere very long, that I rarely get to make those connections now(we are finally in a spot where we have). So while I automatically think I can go anywhere free and wild, my husband has nicely reigned me in many a times. (Often with me whining, "Come on, no one really cares.")

Old 01-31-2012, 01:43 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
I had a problem with this after I left home. Maybe I still do. But I grew up being to roam the woods and fields at will. When we went to my grandparents, it was the same. However, it was because of the above stated, non-verbal agreement between long standing neighbors. I have moved so much since leaving home and never staying anywhere very long, that I rarely get to make those connections now(we are finally in a spot where we have). So while I automatically think I can go anywhere free and wild, my husband has nicely reigned me in many a times. (Often with me whining, "Come on, no one really cares.")
Sounds like we're "kindred spirts"! I'm almost 52 years old, and DH still tries to "reign me in". There are large tracts of woods here, both posted and unposted, and I can't resist the urge to follow a stream to see where it ends, or check out an abandoned barn, or explore an isolated dirt road. My oldest daughter just bought a renovated old farm house on acreage, and one of the first places I went was the surrounding woods, which was okay, since they own some of it. I can't wait for this summer, I'm itching to do some REAL exploring.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
My in-laws moved from a ritzy suburb to family land in the north woods of New Hampshire. They love it. They have an arrangement with a local snowmobile club that, for the work of keeping the trails clear, the club has reasonable access during the winter. My in-laws gain summer access to the back reaches of their property and use the trails to harvest firewood.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:54 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,633,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
This is the reason i will never move to any small-town. If you dont go to church you will be left alone and they wont talk to you. Its a completely different world than the city. At least in the city people dont care if you go to church or not.
It seems that all the small-towns revolve around church. I'll pass, thank you.

Are you kidding me? I live in a small town at the top of the Rockies. Not everyone goes to church. Actually, we have more bars than churches . More people go to the bars than church. I don't attend church on a regular basis and am not treated any different from the church goers for it.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:21 PM

934 posts, read 1,938,763 times
Quote:
Im not religious and im vegan, do you think i would survive in a small town ? the answer is no. I hate all type of animal cruelty and a lot of people in small towns love to hunt (which i think its a horrible thing to do), they eat whatever, dont really care about being healthy. Just imagine if i go to a restaurant to have dinner, what would i order from the menu ? i'd have to survive eating salad for the rest of my life. In the city you have thousands of options, you cant even compare.
My neighbor (23 years old) told me that she moved here (Los Angeles) because West Virginia was too conservative and she hated the fact that if you dont go to church every sunday they would gossip about you the whole week.
You are absolutely right, you would not prosper in a small town. So why tell that to those of us who are in small towns?

You eat your arugula, and I'll eat my steak, and we will both be happy.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:23 PM

934 posts, read 1,938,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
What is it if a bear attacks a human?
The human probably deserved it.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:00 AM

475 posts, read 508,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
You are absolutely right, you would not prosper in a small town.
Yeah, i dont think i would live around rednecks.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:33 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
LOL! Yeah, everybody who doesn't live in a large city is a redneck.... don't stereotype much do you? Another comment that proves how little you know outside of your tiny, isolated bubble of experience.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Then why are you even in this subforum reading and posting ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living