Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 12:52 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,676,615 times

Advertisements

I live in southeastern Ohio, in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains and I own about 5 1/2 acres, my property taxes went down this year, I was taken a little over $1000 a year and now it's down to $755 a year because of some certain programs that we qualify for, we don't have any zoning up here in this county were I'm at, 21/2 years ago I had a big building put up that here and didn't have to get a single permit for it its 36 x 24 feet, insulated, electric, on a concrete slab and didn't have a bit of problem with having it built, so I'm quite happy of fear in southeastern Ohio and the only time I see my neighbors is when the leaves are on the trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 04:04 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,676,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I live in southeastern Ohio, in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains and I own about 5 1/2 acres, my property taxes went down this year, It was a little over $1000 a year and now it's down to $755 a year because of some certain programs that we qualify for, we don't have any zoning up here in this county were I'm at, 2 1/2 years ago I had a big building put up here and didn't have to get a single permit for it, its 36 x 24 feet, insulated, electric, on a concrete slab and didn't have a bit of problem with having it built, so I'm quite happy up here in southeastern Ohio and the only time I see my neighbors is when the leaves are on the trees.
guess I type this in a hurry, because I wasn't paying attention...

Old 03-23-2008, 08:19 AM

215 posts, read 1,661,417 times
There's a nifty law in far northern saskatchewan that if you live somewhere for 15 years, the land becomes yours. Kind of a squatter thing. Problem is you have to go so far north it's not really worth it. Plus if you were going to uproot that far, I'd research the specifics of the law (of which I'm not aware)

Old 08-12-2008, 06:54 PM

161 posts, read 516,060 times
I used to live in Florida before moving to NC. The reason, I believe, Florida's home prices, taxes, insurances are so out of control is due to: Geographical location (hurricanes and tropical weather) also Florida is one the hottest tourists States in the World! There are many beautiful States whose taxes, home prices increase at a "sane" rate.

We've moved to a beautiful area of NC, where you can purchase a beautiful home for 180 thousand dollars and pay 650 dollars A YEAR for the taxes.

What are you looking for as far as hobbies? Fishing? hiking? boating? We are near to Lake Lure.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:16 PM

258 posts, read 1,001,529 times
<<Where are property taxes low enough so you can hold on to land instead of selling it to developers who fill it with clutter? Does such a place exist, or are rural areas becomming "yuppified" and full of big city money? Is there anywhere that you can enjoy the right to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness"? Anyplace where they view Code Enforcement like the old time "revenooers" - as target practice>>

Sounds like you need to check out Wyoming, where in much of the state, "Zone" is a 4 letter word!

Old 08-14-2008, 08:32 AM

37,535 posts, read 61,568,411 times
We have very little zoning in this area.

My river frontage land is locked in a tax-status that sets it's assessed value at a permanent level.

Maine has these statuses for: farm land, open space, and treegrowth.

My land is 'treegrowth'. So it is all forest, except for our driveway and house.

We are converting much of our forest to maple syrup production, and apple orchards.

So in a way, we do kind of have a form of 'zoning'. Anyone can take their land out of treegrowth / farming / open space, and then they pay huge penalties, and finally their assessed value goes way up. Once they are paying the higher taxes, then they can do anything they wish to do with their land.

I am limited that I must keep my land growing trees.

In return I pay about $1.05 per acre each year for property taxes.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:53 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,790,316 times
I don't have a problem with restrictions that reduce taxes, but in Florida the higher the taxes go the less you are allowed to do! Everything is just a placeholder for the next, more dense development here in Florida. The developers do not like local industry or any unusual scenery so they get laws passed by their political cronies.

"So in a way, we do kind of have a form of 'zoning'. Anyone can take their land out of treegrowth / farming / open space, and then they pay huge penalties, and finally their assessed value goes way up. Once they are paying the higher taxes, then they can do anything they wish to do with their land."

In a place like that I would just purchase the property that suits my needs, no reason to change it. I wish we had that here.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:32 PM

37,535 posts, read 61,568,411 times
It is what happens when population density is below 10 people per square mile.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:31 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,458,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I live in southeastern Ohio, in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains and I own about 5 1/2 acres, my property taxes went down this year, I was taken a little over $1000 a year and now it's down to $755 a year because of some certain programs that we qualify for, we don't have any zoning up here in this county were I'm at, 21/2 years ago I had a big building put up that here and didn't have to get a single permit for it its 36 x 24 feet, insulated, electric, on a concrete slab and didn't have a bit of problem with having it built, so I'm quite happy of fear in southeastern Ohio and the only time I see my neighbors is when the leaves are on the trees.
I have family in Southeastern Ohio and the area is beautiful.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:41 PM

283 posts, read 902,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
There are a lot of areas that meet your sort.

Spot that comes quickly to mind about farms, junkyards, and fruit stands is most of rural Tennesee. A junkyard at the bottom of every mountain. Gravity works, huh? Along with various farms and moonshiners up the mountain side, and fruit stands by the highways.
I find your post to be offensive, especially since it does not reflect reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living